• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Smartphone link app won't accecpt Advanced Weather add on

ehlersgrub

This problem is not so much a Garmin Navigator V issue but more so the app I am using to connect to the GPS.

In 2015 I purchased a new BMW 1200GS with a Garmin Navigator V and installed the Garmin Smartphone link on my android phone. I then purchased the Weather Alerts option with Advanced Weather to communicate such information to the GPS and everything worked perfectly. I recently purchased a new phone, a Samsung S10. I installed the Smartphone app with no problem but the phone will not accept the Weather Alerts Advanced Weather option. Thinking I had to repurchase the option I selected US$4.99 and subscribe it says "Error You already own this item. But it still doesn't work. I do not have a problem pairing the phone and the Navigator V. I have contacted Garmin GPS support, Microsoft support and Garmin web Developer support. The web developer opened a ticket and finally told me that the GPS and software was too old and they would not put any further effort into my problem. This makes no sense to me as the phone app is the same one they use with new Navigator VI GPS. And I do have the newest version of the app on my phone. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bruce

When my Galaxy S7 died last year, I had no trouble installing Smartphone Link with the previously purchased weather alerts on my Galaxy S10. I simply installed the app from the Play store and the weather capability was just there, no extra steps required on my part. I have used the Link with the Zumo 590 and 595, which are very similar to the Nav V.

The Zumo app menu does not show the weather app unless Smartphone Link is connected.

I do think the app has lost some capability in recent years. I recall viewing live radar on the Zumo while cruising on the interstate, which was very useful when watching storms on the horizon to determine if they would cross my path. I tried to use that function earlier this summer and was not able to view any radar while the bike was moving. Even when stopped, I'm no longer able to zoom in close enough to see exactly where the the rain is coming down. The map scale is such that the motorcycle icon indicating my position covers about 10 miles, large enough to cover up a lot of nasty weather.

My only suggestion would be to try removing the app from your phone and re-installing it.

We have some weather today, so here is a sample of the reduced resolution used by the current version of the Smartphone link weather app.
This is at maximum zoom.
radar.jpg
The route is very hard to see, but the checkered flag at the end appears to be on the very edge of some heavy rain.

The flag is at the purple spot in this capture made at the same time from Weather Underground, which allows zooming much more closely than this:
Screenshot 2021-08-29 113952.jpg
Even the very light rain (in green) is about six miles east of the destination. The difference, I think is partly the coarse resolution, and possibly the Zumo showing delayed results.

I think you should be able to load the weather app, you paid for it. But I don't think it's really worth spending a lot of time to get it working. If you have to stop to use it anyway, you will get better information from a standalone weather app on your phone.

The app is free but the Advanced weather add on is $5.99. I have deleted the app and reinstalled several times. When I try to repurchase the add on it tells me I already own it. I would be glad to purchase it again if it would make the add on work. BTW, you don't need the phone app paired to the GPS to see the weather radar on the phone. But you do need it paired to see the radar on the GPS. When I do pair them all I see on the GPS is the screen from the app on the phone to purchase the add on option.

Well, I'm out of ideas. I was wondering if you might have had a mismatch with multiple email addresses in the Play Store, but if it knows you've paid for the weather add-on, and you can use it on the new phone, the problem seems to be with the phone to GPS link.:dunno

Well, I'm out of ideas. I was wondering if you might have had a mismatch with multiple email addresses in the Play Store, but if it knows you've paid for the weather add-on, and you can use it on the new phone, the problem seems to be with the phone to GPS link.:dunno

Just a recap but the app knows I paid for the add on but I can't use it on the phone. It doesn't give the the radar screen. Just the screen that I need to get the add on.

Back