• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Smoke and Heat

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I was looking forward to riding this weekend; however, the air quality has dipped due to the fires raging here in Northern CA. When the air quality gets worse due to smoke, the recommendation is to stay indoors. It's also supposed to be ±100 degrees, which is not the most comfortable when wearing ATGATT. During the previous week, the air quality was better and the temp was in the mid 80's. This up coming Monday, the air quality is forecasted to be better and the temp is forecasted to be in the high 80's. WTF, the weather turns crappy just for the weekend, and will return to normal for the work week. I know it's beyond my control and it's best to just accept things that are out of one's control, but this just seems like someone or something is just out to torment us.

OK, I'm done ranting.

I was looking forward to riding this weekend; however, the air quality has dipped due to the fires raging here in Northern CA. When the air quality gets worse due to smoke, the recommendation is to stay indoors. It's also supposed to be ±100 degrees, which is not the most comfortable when wearing ATGATT. During the previous week, the air quality was better and the temp was in the mid 80's. This up coming Monday, the air quality is forecasted to be better and the temp is forecasted to be in the high 80's. WTF, the weather turns crappy just for the weekend, and will return to normal for the work week. I know it's beyond my control and it's best to just accept things that are out of one's control, but this just seems like someone or something is just out to torment us.

OK, I'm done ranting.

Ahhh. I remember the Bay Area...I did 30 years in San Francisco proper. Used to use a powder coater out in Walnut Creek. Ahhh, the perpetually brown, parched hills and the Concord Pavillion. Is the great BBQ place still in Lafayette?

Whatever the case, do whatever "they" recommend. I always ask "them" for recommendations.

After riding in wildfire smoke in Montana for several days a few years ago I made two trips to the emergency room; we stashed two bikes in storage; bought a car; and then drove home to Texas. A month later when my lungs had mostly recovered we took a truck and trailer back to Montana to retrieve the bikes.

Be careful of that stuff! It does kill people!

A couple years ago during the Napa fire (I know we've had too many here), the smoke was so bad I had a lingering cough for months after the fires were put out and the smoke cleared. So, I do take the smoke alerts seriously, which is why I’ve been in front of my computer reading the forums instead of riding.

Ahhh. I remember the Bay Area...I did 30 years in San Francisco proper. Used to use a powder coater out in Walnut Creek. Ahhh, the perpetually brown, parched hills and the Concord Pavillion. Is the great BBQ place still in Lafayette?
I love the two-to-three months out of the year when the hills are all green, but the other 9-10 months, the hills are brown. I’m not sure which BBQ in Lafayette you’re referring to. When it comes to BBQ places, there are not many, but I like Back Forty Texas BBQ, which has been around for decades.

Life kills people.
Yes, life and our way of life can have a detriment on our health, and even kill us. But, there are things we can do to mitigate things and extend life.

A couple years ago during the Napa fire (I know we've had too many here), the smoke was so bad I had a lingering cough for months after the fires were put out and the smoke cleared. So, I do take the smoke alerts seriously, which is why I’ve been in front of my computer reading the forums instead of riding.

I love the two-to-three months out of the year when the hills are all green, but the other 9-10 months, the hills are brown. I’m not sure which BBQ in Lafayette you’re referring to. When it comes to BBQ places, there are not many, but I like Back Forty Texas BBQ, which has been around for decades.

Yes, life and our way of life can have a detriment on our health, and even kill us. But, there are things we can do to mitigate things and extend life.

This is true. Staying home, eating kale, and riding a Peloton have merit.

Just not enough for me.

Last edited:
pick my days

I am living in Plumas county roughly 20-30 miles as the crow flies from the Dixie fire and an hour and change from Lake Tahoe. The Caldor fire made my good air strategy much harder to calculate as the air can be better from one but crappy from the other. I love hiking here, but they closed the Nat'l forest. I got a hike or a ride in a few times last week but it can be just a stay home day often. I remember the quote, "this too shall pass".

We rode through Lake Tahoe on July 26th heading east during our western CoddiWomple swing. It was very bad then, so it must be HORRIBLE Now that the fires are very close. We then rode along the Front Range to Denver, and the smoke followed us across the KS plains. If it was my choice, I'd go visit friends where the air's Cleaner. It's Always Something - Hurricane Ida is headed our way in Northern AL. Wish y'all could have some of our precipitation :brow

Ciao! HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
el Presidente & la Secretary, MOA Club #5 - celebrating our 50th year in 2021 :thumb

After the Dixie fire torched the whole area around Lake Almanor a friend who has a boat that was on the Lake was contacted and told to remove the boat from the water. They are planning to drain the lake and send the water down stream to the Oroville reservoir.
Depending on the direction of the wind efforts to stay out of the smoke change daily, some days you move to a clear area to have it change overnight, so you are back in the thick of it. :banghead

sounds crazy!

After the Dixie fire torched the whole area around Lake Almanor a friend who has a boat that was on the Lake was contacted and told to remove the boat from the water. They are planning to drain the lake and send the water down stream to the Oroville reservoir.
Depending on the direction of the wind efforts to stay out of the smoke change daily, some days you move to a clear area to have it change overnight, so you are back in the thick of it. :banghead

I guess since they are both PG&E related? I looked at buying at Almanor and I'm glad I did not. I hope we get a big winter in a few months.

Yes but

Heavy rains in mountainous areas that have recently been burnt = mudslides and flooding. Be careful what you wish for.

:dance:dance:dance

They did a good job here in Plumas county after last years fire and although it was a light winter, nothing catastrophic. Since it's mostly snow maybe not so impactful. The Sierras need a good snowpack this winter or the Bay Area will be rationing. I selfishly want my immediate area to get several feet, and my nearby North Tahoe ski resorts to get teens.:) If the drought continues this winter it will be another dangerous fire season thereafter. This one won't be over for a few more months.:(

When people say that we need rain, I always tell them that only helps us for a day or two. We need snow in the Sierras! That is our major water source for the summer. With out the snow melt replenishing the reservoirs, we run out of water part way through the summer. So, I’m dreaming of a white Christmas!!! Hopefully. Someday. Maybe. Please.

:dance:dance:dance

So, I’m dreaming of a white Christmas!!! Hopefully. Someday. Maybe. Please. :dance:dance:dance

I remember in the mid-70's we had a white Christmas around here (I was living in Danville at the time). It was one of the rare times is snowed and shut things down.

I was living in Danville at the time.

Well then, hello from Danville, CA!

This makes me think of an inquiry that should perhaps be opened up in a Gear forum… as we get into summer again, has anyone seen a helmet or add on device with Filter/air circulation capability that could address our annual summer fire issues?

Back