• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

H.Ellars

Can someone please show with a pic or tell me exactly where the plastic spare key fob for a 2015 R1200RT needs to be placed/inserted to start the bike. Looks like the manual shows it going under the instrument cluster and I've tried inserting it every which way but it does nothing. Thanks

In wheel wheel, close to seat

I stick mine under the rear fender well, touching the inside of the fender, as close as possible to the electronics under the rear seat. Sometimes I have to move it around to find the "sweet spot."

I don't "Know", but it's my understanding that the antenna is in different places on the different models, and the RT's is indeed somewhere down in the center of the instrument cluster (and the GS's is below the rear fender). Effective "range" is pretty short.
There have been "issues" with the antennas in the past, but I don't think they hit more recent bikes.
I've also read that it matters which side you hold as "up".
Have you changed the battery recently? And if so, did you peel off the little piece of sticky plastic from the battery before installing it? (Some, but not all, have this to prevent accidental discharging before installation.)
Might you have another electronic device nearby that is interfering with the FOB's operation? Cell phone, FOB for something else, garage door opener, controller for a heated jacket, etc.
Also possible that the FOB may need to be re-flashed.

For the RT the plastic emergency key needs to be held in the space between the GPS dock and the gauges. Press the ignition button and it will boot up. Start the bike. To restart after shutting off, just repeat. To open the fuel cap, hold the plastic key in the same spot and open the fuel cap. After the engine is started, pocket the plastic key. It doesn't need to remain near the antena. You will, though, have a key and question mark diisplayed on the dash.

Hope this helps.
Gord

PS. The engine needs to be off to open the fuel cap.

Thanks for the correct answer for the R1200RT. I tired it and the bike started. Thanks so much.

Slightly off topic but also slightly relevant. I lost my fob ('16 R1200R) and didn't have an emergency RFID key (thanks, previous owner) and had to buy both. Luckily I was able to make the 130 miles home on the fuel I had left. I'll be putting an Apple Airtag on my fob soon so that if this ever happens again I'll be able to find it. BTW, a new fob, RFID key, a new "dumb" key to open the luggage (so that I won't need to use the fob) and programming set me back just over $500. Expensive day for me.

Slightly off topic but also slightly relevant. I lost my fob ('16 R1200R) and didn't have an emergency RFID key (thanks, previous owner) and had to buy both. Luckily I was able to make the 130 miles home on the fuel I had left. .

If anyone has the same problem or the keyless gas cap will not open, you can remove two screws from the front of the cap to open it.

Air Filter Change (5).JPG

20210328_142237.jpg

This keyless fuel cap has nut failed me yet.

C1351E90-715F-4E43-AFDE-8C62E0194462.jpg

I found that trick after I got home and removed the piece to open the cap and fill the tank so I could get to the dealer. My problem would have been compounded by not having the proper hex key wrench with me on the road. I have a SW-Motech tank bag with a tank ring. SW-Motech supplies cosocket headed caps screws with hex heads instead of the T25 BMW uses. Regardless, the tools would have been locked under the seat.

Back