• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 F700GS questions

tsconver

Hooligan
Just bought the wife a bike. 2013 F700GS. 10k miles. Anything I need to do to it? Maintenance I should just do to be safe? Tires are 2 years old but good tread. Will change the oil first off. Probably the air filter. How are these on valve adjustment? I think the first one is at 12K?

2021-08-27 19.12.08.jpg

Nice!!!

I'd renew the brake fluid if that hasn't been done in the last 2 years. As OM said, check the battery date (since you'll be in there looking at the air filter). Unless it's been ridden off-road a lot, I'm doubtful that you'll actually need to change the air filter (BMW recommends it be done every 12k). Take a look at your coolant level too.

Traditionally, these bikes don't usually require big valve changes, so a lot of people extend that service (BMW recommends it be done every 12k).

Also as OM posted, there's a tech library section that will walk you through a lot of the basics. If someone would get off his duff and finish some more, it would be even better... :whistle

Nice!!!

I'd renew the brake fluid if that hasn't been done in the last 2 years. As OM said, check the battery date (since you'll be in there looking at the air filter). Unless it's been ridden off-road a lot, I'm doubtful that you'll actually need to change the air filter (BMW recommends it be done every 12k). Take a look at your coolant level too.

Traditionally, these bikes don't usually require big valve changes, so a lot of people extend that service (BMW recommends it be done every 12k).

Also as OM posted, there's a tech library section that will walk you through a lot of the basics. If someone would get off his duff and finish some more, it would be even better... :whistle

Thom- you have been doing great things for the F-Twin world :bow

OM

Owner said battery was 1 year old. So I think it is good. He had all his stuff on tenders so I would guess he kept them charged.

I recently bought a 2013 F700GS as well, with 7,700 miles. Mine was ridden often if not far and was well maintained. I flushed the rear brake even though it was done last year. The rear brake fluid on theses bikes tends to turn dark rather quickly for the first 10K miles, or at least it did on our previous two F bikes. I’ve read online that it is caused by the brake line sloughing off a contaminant. Not sure of the cause, but it appears to happening again on this bike.

I also cleaned the chain very well to have a fresh start.

I recently bought a 2013 F700GS as well, with 7,700 miles. Mine was ridden often if not far and was well maintained. I flushed the rear brake even though it was done last year. The rear brake fluid on theses bikes tends to turn dark rather quickly for the first 10K miles, or at least it did on our previous two F bikes. I’ve read online that it is caused by the brake line sloughing off a contaminant. Not sure of the cause, but it appears to happening again on this bike.

I also cleaned the chain very well to have a fresh start.

The short line that runs from the reservoir to the master cylinder contributes a black colour the the brake fluid. It is harmless but looks ugly - when these bikes were new in the showroom you could often see dark fluid. It's not mileage the makes it improve but rather the first fluid change or two.

“Harmless”, there was a time that five out of six doctors said Camel cigarettes were harmless. Changing the fluid is cheap and easy to do so why not? On our previous F bikes I changed it whenever the color got noticeably dark. By the time the bike had around 10,000 miles on it the issue went away.

I had a 13 -700 GS that I put 62000 miles on. Very easy to maintain. Went through 3 brake changes and 3 chain changes. Valve check at 12000 miles had several needing adjustment, but subsequent checks showed no change, so for me, the first one was very beneficial. Other than that, regular oil/filter, and air filter changes took care of all my maintenance issues. Easy on tires, and although the sister 800 GS is supposed to be the better off road bike, I did ride it on the Continental Divide trail from around Utah to Montana. A great bike and the bmw service manager where I bought it new ended up buying it for himself whin I traded it in. Good luck.!

Back