• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum
Status
Not open for further replies.
The AMA has initiated a campaign to support a bill in the House - worth the two minutes to click the link and send the letter to your representatives, Support your Right To repair in Congress

As motorcycling technology continues to advance, your ability to repair your own motorcycle or seek out an independent mechanic may get restricted as manufacturers do not make repair information or parts available for purchase.
Consumers are facing this problem with almost every product they own, from their phone, to their tractor and for AMA members, their motorcycles and ATVs. This issue is collectively known as "Right to Repair" and put in the simplest terms, right to repair is the idea that when you buy something, you have the right to repair it or seek an independent repair shop to do the work and as part of that the manufacturers must make the parts and information needed for these repairs available to the public for a fair and reasonable price.

Fortunately there is a bill in the U.S. House of Representatives, the REPAIR Act (Right to Equitable and Professional Auto Industry Repair), H.R. 6570, that would ensure that motorcyclists and independent repair shops have access to the information, tools, and parts needed to repair motorcycles. The AMA is asking you to tell your Representative to co-sponsor this bi-partisan bill and protect your right to repair.

If you would like to learn more about Right to Repair, you can read the Federal Trade Commission Report to Congress from May 2021 "Nixing the Fix" which details the ways some manufacturers limit repairs by consumers.

Thanks for posting! I sent an email to my representatives - hopefully they support the bill!

I would think BMW would have a interest in customers having correctly repaired and maintained motorcycles. Using a dealer does not equal properly repaired and maintained. Plenty of cases of shoddy dealer repairs.
They do, that's why they want you to go to a dealer.

If you get shoddy work from a dealer, you have recourse through BMW - or at least you *should*.

Tombstone Reaper.jpg

The MOA mission statement is “Building a vibrant community, inspiring enthusiasts to connect, sharing our passion for motorcycles”. I would venture that those who do their own maintenance and repairs are amongst the most passionate when it comes to their motorcycles. For them the nasty Halloween trick of a year ago by BMW to discontinue the provision of service information came as quite a blow. We are routinely told that “You are the MOA!” but those for whom the service manuals are important have a hard time seeing it that way given the MOA’s inaction on the issue. I am not speaking of becoming politically active nor legal pursuits but rather that the MOA leverage the power of social media to convey our concerns to BMW and request some effort at redress.

View attachment 89741

The MOA mission statement is “Building a vibrant community, inspiring enthusiasts to connect, sharing our passion for motorcycles”. I would venture that those who do their own maintenance and repairs are amongst the most passionate when it comes to their motorcycles. For them the nasty Halloween trick of a year ago by BMW to discontinue the provision of service information came as quite a blow. We are routinely told that “You are the MOA!” but those for whom the service manuals are important have a hard time seeing it that way given the MOA’s inaction on the issue. I am not speaking of becoming politically active nor legal pursuits but rather that the MOA leverage the power of social media to convey our concerns to BMW and request some effort at redress.

Amen 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Printed repair manual

Hey guys,

I found a printed repair manual that would cover my 2018 R1200GSA, it is in German. I would prefer a CD/DVD but I also don't want to shell out $ for 24 hour inner time access.
Does anyone know of a source for electronic copy of the service manual?
Thanks,
Mike
Current bikes
2018 R1200GSA, 2016 K1600GTE
Lifetime digital member

Hey guys,

I found a printed repair manual that would cover my 2018 R1200GSA, it is in German. I would prefer a CD/DVD but I also don't want to shell out $ for 24 hour inner time access.
Does anyone know of a source for electronic copy of the service manual?
Thanks,
Mike
Current bikes
2018 R1200GSA, 2016 K1600GTE
Lifetime digital member

Where can one find BMW motorcycle service information on the internet for a fee? The BMW Technical Information Service (TIS) does not support motorcycles although that it does has been erroneously reported here.

Last edited:
Where can one find BMW motorcycle service information on the internet for a fee? The BMW Technical Information Service (TIS) does not support motorcycles although that it does has been erroneously report here.

I have yet to find the exact link from BMW to this as well...

I have yet to find the exact link from BMW to this as well...

A number of posters here have cited the BMW Technical Information Service (TIS) as being the online source - albeit at unaffordable rates.

Unfortunately these posters have given others incorrect information.

Here is the link:
https://bmwtechinfo.bmwgroup.com/#/login

If you click on the button "Site Features" for more information you will be taken to a page that describes in some detail the features of, and the onerous logistical requirements in order to use, the TIS.

You will also see that none of it applies to motorcycles:
TIS No Go.jpg

It's not clear to me why those who cited the TIS as the source of BMW motorcycle service information did not verify prior to posting.

A number of posters here have cited the BMW Technical Information Service (TIS) as being the online source - albeit at unaffordable rates.

Unfortunately these posters have given others incorrect information.

Here is the link:
https://bmwtechinfo.bmwgroup.com/#/login

If you click on the button "Site Features" for more information you will be taken to a page that describes in some detail the features of, and the onerous logistical requirements in order to use, the TIS.

You will also see that none of it applies to motorcycles:
View attachment 89804

It's not clear to me why those who cited the TIS as the source of BMW motorcycle service information did not verify prior to posting.

The site looks like it's for cars. Does it have motorcycle information as well?

Yamaha gives repair manuals for free! I think BMW's stance on this is ridiculous. I emailed BMW customer service. They basically said thanks for sharing...

As far as dealerships being the only people qualified to work on your bike, that's simply not true. I've had lots of good repairs on my bikes over the years and some real disappointments (botched repairs, stripped bolts, things not tightened, leaking gaskets, etc.). Repair shops can only afford to fix exactly what they are commissioned to address (time is money). While they may tell you about something big they see "while they are in there", they aren't looking at it in the same way as an owner/enthusiast would; they can't, as I said, time is money. Even the best technician can only spend so much time on your work order. When I work on my own bikes I'm always doing extra things along the way. If you wrench, you may know what I mean. Imagine paying a shop to do every little thing that needs doing on a dirt bike? And I assure you that rebuilding a modern four stroke motocross bike is much more complicated than doing a valve adjustment and fluid change on a new GS. Maybe BMW owners are not as smart as dirt bike owners? I don't believe that!

Wait until these new BMW bikes are 10-15 years old and everyone finds out that only the dealer is allowed to touch them! It will be the decline of the high milage BMW on the used market, which is already soft. The longevity of the bikes is one of the reasons we (I) use to help justify buying a $25-$30K bike. I know I won't be paying the dealership top dollar to fix an aging bike that's not worth very much.

Seems like there is frequently confusion between “owners” manuals and “service” manuals.
OM

False.

Yamaha "Owners Manuals" are free to download from the Yamaha website.
https://library.ymcapps.net/library/om/app/index.html?baseCode=6150&langId=02

Yamaha Factory Service manuals are available from https://www.yamahapubs.com/home/search?category_id=3&year=2022&family_name=SUPER+TENERE+ES - Yamaha offers time-limited e-access as well as a printed service manual.

Well it was true for some models five months ago. May still be, I didn't try them all.

https://youtu.be/kMYYbEGx--I

But otherwise he expresses a valid point of view.

At least Yamaha makes the service manuals available and one should not expect them to be free. Much better than BMW's policy which has left DIY MOA members and independent techs in a lurch and disaffected many. MOA continues silently adhering to its BMW public relations obligations on the matter.

Yamaha Factory Service manuals are available from https://www.yamahapubs.com/home/search?category_id=3&year=2022&family_name=SUPER+TENERE+ES - Yamaha offers time-limited e-access as well as a printed service manual.

That’s a very reasonable approach, one that makes service info available while helping control illicit distribution, largely by keeping the cost of access reasonable enough to make bootlegging not worth the effort. BMW would do well to copy the approach AND the pricing structure. That would serve to build brand loyalty and continued sales, especially to those of us who are uninterested in owning machines for which we can’t get service info.

BMW, are you paying attention??

Best,
DeVern

2e7a92699d33771e7a992afd8cbf2e67--don-quixote-design-elements.jpg

:hungover

OM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back