• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum
Status
Not open for further replies.
They make it sound like they will lose those features, but I bet the fob still works.
In another year I will lose my 5 year free app that has those features but will still be able to use my fob.
I can pay for the app but probably won't.

Not familiar with needing an app to operate a vehicle.

I would not be happy with that arrangement.

OM

Not familiar with needing an app to operate a vehicle.

I would not be happy with that arrangement.

OM

You don't need the app to operate the vehicle.
The article made it sound like you did.
I rarely use my app.

Received this in an email from Senator Tester, Dem MT. It is an abbreviated version of this: https://www.tester.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=8866. I’m pretty confident that our Urals will be considered farm equipment.

RIGHT TO REPAIR’ FARM EQUIPMENT AND EMPOWERING FAMILY FARMERS IS AIM OF TESTER’S NEW, GROUNDBREAKING LEGISLATION

I’ve been a farmer my whole life. When it's harvest time, I know I have a short window to get the crop harvested.

I can tell you, there’s nothing more frustrating than having a crop in the field, ready to harvest, but you can’t get it done because you’ve got a piece of equipment that’s broken down.

Well not very many years ago, you could pull out your tools and get to work fixing it yourself.

Senator Tester Repairing His Tractor

But in recent years, big equipment manufacturers have made that nearly impossible.

They’ve made it harder and harder for folks to work on their equipment themselves—forcing them to go to an authorized mechanic and pay full retail for necessary repairs.

These manufacturers have prevented producers from fixing their own machines to bolster corporate profits at the expense of family farmers and ranchers. It’s unacceptable.

That’s why, this week, I introduced my Agriculture Right to Repair Act to ensure producers have the right to repair their own equipment by requiring manufacturers to make available any part, software, or tool required to diagnose and fix these machines.

Farmers operate in tight windows and on tight margins. They need to be able to repair their own equipment so they can do their jobs, make a living, and produce the food that feeds this nation.

I’m going to keep pushing this legislation forward, and as always, it’s an honor to serve you in the United States Senate.

Stay safe and be well,

Received this in an email from Senator Tester, Dem MT. It is an abbreviated version of this: https://www.tester.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=8866. I’m pretty confident that our Urals will be considered farm equipment.

RIGHT TO REPAIR’ FARM EQUIPMENT AND EMPOWERING FAMILY FARMERS IS AIM OF TESTER’S NEW, GROUNDBREAKING LEGISLATION

I’ve been a farmer my whole life. When it's harvest time, I know I have a short window to get the crop harvested.

I can tell you, there’s nothing more frustrating than having a crop in the field, ready to harvest, but you can’t get it done because you’ve got a piece of equipment that’s broken down.

Well not very many years ago, you could pull out your tools and get to work fixing it yourself.

Senator Tester Repairing His Tractor

But in recent years, big equipment manufacturers have made that nearly impossible.

They’ve made it harder and harder for folks to work on their equipment themselves—forcing them to go to an authorized mechanic and pay full retail for necessary repairs.

These manufacturers have prevented producers from fixing their own machines to bolster corporate profits at the expense of family farmers and ranchers. It’s unacceptable.

That’s why, this week, I introduced my Agriculture Right to Repair Act to ensure producers have the right to repair their own equipment by requiring manufacturers to make available any part, software, or tool required to diagnose and fix these machines.

Farmers operate in tight windows and on tight margins. They need to be able to repair their own equipment so they can do their jobs, make a living, and produce the food that feeds this nation.

I’m going to keep pushing this legislation forward, and as always, it’s an honor to serve you in the United States Senate.

Stay safe and be well,
One should ask the good Senator to expand the coverage of his bill to "ALL MOTOR VEHICLES and AGRICULTURAL EQUIPMENT". The Grain Truck is just as important as the Combine and the TW200 gets you to the field.

One should ask the good Senator to expand the coverage of his bill to "ALL MOTOR VEHICLES and AGRICULTURAL EQUIPMENT". The Grain Truck is just as important as the Combine and the TW200 gets you to the field.

Grain semis are considered agricultural equipment. At least they are in Iowa.

Usually takes a Snap-On Modis to get into class 8 trucks. About $10,000 depending.
OM

bigjohn -

We could but the conversations in each have taken several turns and given the way things would be combined, the time synching of the various discussions wouldn't make sense. At this point, it seems that putting links from one to the other makes the most sense.

I'm kinda proud that my original post has garnered 6 pages of comments. I don't want to lose my notoriety:D by combining the threads.

Due to division, and the need for consensus, and supermajorities, it's hard to get agreement to correct some wrongs. However, everyone likes to eat, and food comes from the farmer. Grain trucks are just as important as the combines, and when you need a car, or your motorcycle to get to the store to buy the food all motor vehicles are significant. Any way you look at it the right to have a motor vehicle implies the right to fix it yourself, or take it to the dealer - owner's choice.

E.

Great letter in the September ON. The MOA mission statement includes "sharing our passion for motorcycles". For the author of the letter, and for many of us, that passion includes working on our bikes. But perhaps I misinterpret the mission statement and it is just referring to the BMW brand.
BMW ON 202209 Letter_01.jpg

Last edited:
And I laugh at the idea above that the writer thinks only a "verified" owner could purchase a shop manual. I've owned Suzuki's, Honda's, Harley's and BMW's. None of of them required any form of verification I owned one. Who would that hurt?

I would think BMW would have a interest in customers having correctly repaired and maintained motorcycles.. Using a dealer does not equal properly repaired and maintained. Plenty of cases of shoddy dealer repairs.

I too am not likely to buy another BMW. Same reason

Rod

I've read that other manufacturers also no longer provide manuals as many have gone to the online subscription method. As such, it could be very limiting in the future finding a bike you like and want to ride from a manufacturer who also provides repair manuals. OTOH, repair manuals from third party vendors could become more popular. Time will tell.

Support your Right to Repair in Congress

The AMA has initiated a campaign to support a bill in the House - worth the two minutes to click the link and send the letter to your representatives, Support your Right To repair in Congress

As motorcycling technology continues to advance, your ability to repair your own motorcycle or seek out an independent mechanic may get restricted as manufacturers do not make repair information or parts available for purchase.
Consumers are facing this problem with almost every product they own, from their phone, to their tractor and for AMA members, their motorcycles and ATVs. This issue is collectively known as "Right to Repair" and put in the simplest terms, right to repair is the idea that when you buy something, you have the right to repair it or seek an independent repair shop to do the work and as part of that the manufacturers must make the parts and information needed for these repairs available to the public for a fair and reasonable price.

Fortunately there is a bill in the U.S. House of Representatives, the REPAIR Act (Right to Equitable and Professional Auto Industry Repair), H.R. 6570, that would ensure that motorcyclists and independent repair shops have access to the information, tools, and parts needed to repair motorcycles. The AMA is asking you to tell your Representative to co-sponsor this bi-partisan bill and protect your right to repair.

If you would like to learn more about Right to Repair, you can read the Federal Trade Commission Report to Congress from May 2021 "Nixing the Fix" which details the ways some manufacturers limit repairs by consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back