• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum
Status
Not open for further replies.
BMW does not produce "manuals" for BMW cars and that's been the case for years.

This is the case for most auto manufacturers.

Instead what is offered is a subscription service to technical information and I suspect you will be able to subscribe to access BMW motorcycle information as well.

My recent experience has been with Mercedes and it is that a 24-hour subscription runs something like $75 and a one-year subscription is in the $2K range. That's what independent repair shops do, obviously.

You can take to the bank BMW is not withholding information, as that would be illegal.

Check out https://www.bmwtis.com/#/login

What is missing here seems to be communication to dealers or--and does this ever actually happen--to BMW MOA as to what will be available. This is yet another instance where BMW MOA has an "opportunity" to actually be a service to its members. An ON article, perhaps?

The subscription BMW is offering seems very expensive to the point of being cost prohibitive.

Asking a MOA member to pay $30.00, for one days worth of access seems to be a stretch then some here seem to almost have a stroke then asked to pay full price for a spark plug. ;)

Have any members used the subscription service?

Has MOA, or RA joined, or been offered a subscription to share with its members?

All of this is very concerning.

E.

The subscription BMW is offering seems very expensive to the point of being cost prohibitive.

Asking a MOA member to pay $30.00, for one days worth of access seems to be a stretch then some here seem to almost have a stroke then asked to pay full price for a spark plug. ;)

E.

One can download a lot in 24 hours ... make your own manual if you will.

I wonder what Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki are doing along these lines?
OM

One can download a lot in 24 hours ... make your own manual if you will.

I've got an idea it will be more like 1-day, or 30-minutes, whichever is less. I hope I'm wrong.

But, unlike Blanch DuBois, I don't live my life depending on the kindness of strangers, or for that matter corporate conglomerates.

E.

Last edited:
If it is like what ram uses which is tech authority you will not be able to download or print anything out. It is disabled.

I have the BMW DVD Repair Manual for the R1250GS/A models. It is hundreds of pages long. Trying to screenshot the whole thing, make PDFs and then collate the whole thing would take a very long time.

Attachments

• IMG_5056.jpg
    IMG_5056.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 191
BMW does not produce "manuals" for BMW cars and that's been the case for years.

This is the case for most auto manufacturers.

Instead what is offered is a subscription service to technical information and I suspect you will be able to subscribe to access BMW motorcycle information as well.

My recent experience has been with Mercedes and it is that a 24-hour subscription runs something like $75 and a one-year subscription is in the $2K range. That's what independent repair shops do, obviously.

You can take to the bank BMW is not withholding information, as that would be illegal.

Check out https://www.bmwtis.com/#/login

What is missing here seems to be communication to dealers or--and does this ever actually happen--to BMW MOA as to what will be available. This is yet another instance where BMW MOA has an "opportunity" to actually be a service to its members. An ON article, perhaps?

BMWTIS.com Terms of Service:

"The information on this website is not to be resold, bartered, copied or transferred without the express written consent of BMW of North America, LLC (“BMW NA”)."

Just sharing this for anyone who plans on creating an account and copying the data offline to share with others.

I wonder what Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki are doing along these lines?
OM

Honda and Suzuki used to sell nicely bound, large and very detailed factory service manuals. The last one i bought was a couple years ago. They were in the neighborhood of $100 or so. I used them more for study on how the bike was put together because for the most part, those machines rarely needed any maintenance other than oil and tire changes, which was simple enough without the manual. The GoldWing valve check interval was 36,000 miles, and was good for a very long time after that. The Wing manual was useful for “finding” the air filter, though.

There's this site - https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

It was created by enthusiasts, not BMW and according to their goodbye note, BMW asked them to shut it down.

It looks like BMW demanded the site be closed. The site also says in their opinion by their conduct BMW "violates the right to repair."

Site Closed

This site is closed per demands of BMW AG.
BMW recommends the official and up-to-date BMW TIS which can be accessed at www.bmwtis.com*.

* However, we believe that BMW violates the right to repair by effectively locking out individual consumers from basic repair information through unreasonably high access fees.

Contact us via the feedback form below if you have any questions or concerns.

E.

* However, we believe that BMW violates the right to repair by effectively locking out individual consumers from basic repair information through unreasonably high access fees.

World's smallest violin ...

Interesting update on the state of "Right to repair" in Massachusetts and its impact upon some vehicle owners.

https://www.wired.com/story/fight-right-repair-cars-turns-ugly/

But there was a catch, one that made the couple mad: Marc’s sedan wouldn’t have access to the company's telematics system and the app that went along with it. No remote engine start in the freezing New England winter; no emergency assistance; no automated messages when the tire pressure was low or the oil needed changing.

They make it sound like they will lose those features, but I bet the fob still works.
In another year I will lose my 5 year free app that has those features but will still be able to use my fob.
I can pay for the app but probably won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back