• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum
Status
Not open for further replies.

dravnx

Anyone have any idea why you can't buy the maintenance manual DVD for my '18 R1200RS? I've tried to order it from a couple of dealer parts departments and have ordered it online from a couple of dealerships. No stock worldwide and no estimate of availability. The online sources (A&S, Max's) show stock and allow you to order it but then cancel the order after I've gone through the process.

Same thing happened to me. Ordered a repair dvd for my 2020RT from Max BMW about 3 weeks ago. Got an email today saying they cancelled the order because the dvd's were no longer available from BMW.

I would hope it's not a case of the service manual becoming unavailable and perhaps just a move away from the DVD format which in all honesty is old tech nowadays. I would like to hope there is some sort of online of downloadable manual in the works.

I do have the DVD manual for my F850GSA to use on my shop computer at home, but an online type manual accessible from anywhere I happened to be on any portable device would be nice.

BMW Repair Manual CD DVD Availability

https://advrider.com/f/threads/bmw-repair-manual-cd.1526639/

ATCguy
New
So just wondering if anyone else has heard that, in the words of one dealer… “BMW has discontinued all DVD repair manuals”?

Since Bob’s put out their 20% holiday discount coupon, I figured why not finally order the manual for my bike? But it turns out where it should be listed on the parts fiche, it ain’t there. Ok, fine… so I figured I’d just get the part number from the Max BMW site, only to find they don’t list it for sale either. Hmmm, ok, strike 2.

Not to be deterred, I check out Sierra BMW’s site and find it… and go ahead and order it. Great, no problem.

Get an email today… problem. Email states “Apologies… BMW has discontinued all DVD repair manuals”… with additional info that they are refunding my payment.

Seems strange BMW would stop selling them for a bike that’s not even 4 years old yet. Did they just farm it out to a different vendor, like Ford does for their cars & trucks (Helm, Inc)… or have they become proprietary items for approved service centers only?

Anyway... if someone has traded their 1200GS for a newer 1250GS, and has one of these DVD's for the K50 series bike they'd like to sell... I'm in the market. The correct DVD part number I'm looking for is: 01 59 8 405 652

Let me know. Thanks.

Once BWM Motorrad has "Pass thru" like they already have for the BMW Cars, then repair DVD's are no longer needed. BMW and all other brands are obligated to share all info and software that is needed to maintain a vehicle. By law it is forbiden to have a monopoly on all info, and to keep everything for the oficial dealers only.
But they stopped producing the dvd's before Pass Thru is activated on their site. As for now, BMW is breaking the law.

J2534 Pass Through seems to have some pretty hefty hardware requirements for a Windows 10 PC and require a BMW Technical Information Service subscription ($30/24 hrs, $250/month or $250/year). That subscription is a deal breaker for my intermittent use. I might use the DVD to check a single torque value today, make an adjustment next week, take several days for the annual maintenance and detailing in January, etc.

A reasonable fee based on actual usage might work.

A long and comprehensive discussion has evolved on the MOA Facebook page as well - https://www.facebook.com/groups/bmwmoa/permalink/10159736045744379/

Reece Mullins, Tom Cutter, Wes Fleming and others are leading the charge.
It remains to be seen if MOA has any influence with Motorrad in this regard.

It remains to be seen if MOA has any influence with Motorrad in this regard.

Interesting side note, but 50 or so years ago, this aspect of consumerism was a central point of discussion in the formation of a national BMW riders club.

In the FB discussion, there is a mention of what (I bet) is going to be something the MOA attempts to do.

Greg Feeler should be credited with this original idea, which he told me about 15 years ago. In an effort to get the ball rolling I attempted to help out, but the main sources of input were, shall we say, rather resistant. :brow

Notice, ahem, that the MOA Forum is not listed in the links.

Screen%20Shot%202021-11-11%20at%201.17.42%20PM.png

I can tell you, as a BMW Motorrad employee, that all service manuals have been discontinued by BMW, and are no longer available, nor will they be :(

I can tell you, as a BMW Motorrad employee, that all service manuals have been discontinued by BMW, and are no longer available, nor will they be :(

After owning 29 different BMW motorcycles, Honda starts looking better and better every day. I live over 400 miles from the nearest BMW dealership and about 1,000 miles from the nearest one I consider competent. I will not be held hostage by BMW to take care of my motorcycles. If I can't do maintenance I won't own it.

Not having reasonable cost access to service data will cause me to seek other brand. Thankfully I have a '14 and the corresponding Service Manual DVD as well as a Haynes Manual.

I am also going to avoid purchasing any bike that I can't get a service manual for. Disgusting.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Without an easy access to an OEM supplied repair manual or disc, it gives some enterprising young lad to “bootleg” a copy and send it out to the web.

Perhaps as you work for BMW Motorrad, you can forward this thread to them. Chances are they won’t respond but will at least fill them in as to BMW owner’s thoughts.
OM

Without an easy access to an OEM supplied repair manual or disc, it gives some enterprising young lad to “bootleg” a copy and send it out to the web.

I think the new stuff is all in the cloud, accessible by dealer techs on their proprietary computer hardware. It might be difficult to copy.

I wonder what happens when the internet goes down at a dealership locality. Donuts and coffee for the techs until it comes back up tomorrow? Or misapply torque settings from faulty memory. Cheat sheets in the bottom tool drawer, anybody???

I think the new stuff is all in the cloud, accessible by dealer techs on their proprietary computer hardware. It might be difficult to copy.

I wonder what happens when the internet goes down at a dealership locality. Donuts and coffee for the techs until it comes back up tomorrow? Or misapply torque settings from faulty memory. Cheat sheets in the bottom tool drawer, anybody???

Naw,

:D

OM

It’s clear BMW does not want anyone other than authorized dealers to work on the bikes.
After all, an owner or independent shop might be tempted to save $$$ by using aftermarket parts, denying BMW their due over the planned 10 years of ownership.

It doesn’t bother me, what i have will likely last as long as i will need. New BMW buyers will just have to get with the program and pony up.

It’s not really a bad business decision from BMW’s standpoint.

I would still expect Haynes and Clymer to provide service manuals. I've always found their manuals to be considerably easier to follow than the BMW CD's, whose format is not very intuitive, at least to me.

After owning 29 different BMW motorcycles, Honda starts looking better and better every day. I live over 400 miles from the nearest BMW dealership and about 1,000 miles from the nearest one I consider competent. I will not be held hostage by BMW to take care of my motorcycles. If I can't do maintenance I won't own it.

My sentiments exactly! If BMW commits to this path I’ll not be purchasing a new bike from them. Unfortunate, as I’ve been patiently waiting for the shipments on new RTs to stabilize. I own BMW-provided service manuals, print or digital, for the BMWs I own and refuse to buy any new motorcycle for which I cannot purchase service information or for which service information is ridiculously priced ($30 for a one-day use?).

My next “RT” could be an FJR, my next GS a PanAmerica.

Best,
DeVern

While I'm sad to hear that BMW will no longer be making maintenance information available I greatly fear this is where the industry is heading.

Thinking I might add a second bike to my stable I test rode a Ducati 950 S this summer. I found it to be a delightful bike; not perfect but more fun than a barrel of monkeys. One of the big reasons I didn't jump is that Ducati doesn't make maintenance info available. As with BMW, dealers are few and far between. Lacking simple info such as torque values for wheel nuts, chain tension adjuster bolts, etc. and advising that these processes must be done "at an authorized service center" just doesn't make sense in many parts of our large country.

Fortunately my 2018 RT is going strong and, at age 72, may very well last until I "age out" of riding. Should I decide at some point to get another bike I will certainly be looking for one from a company that makes service information available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back