Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: ATGATT: Which brands most likely comply and why?

I spent literally 8 hours in the saddle this last Saturday helping marshal a 1400 rider bicycle fun ride on the rural roads through the vineyards around Santa Rosa, CA.

I started with mesh jacket with thick cotton work pants, boots and gloves wearing an Osprey hydration pack with mesh stand off and a reflective neon vest over it all. My first layer was a thin Patagonia long sleeve sun shirt with a hood.

I spent most of the day averaging below 40 MPH, towards the end some few minute blocks at 45-55 when covering ground between clumps of riders. Put 200 miles on a K1200GT which had an annoying cam gear whine (not mine).

The mesh jacket came off at 85F and then it went to 95F. I value comfort and alertness over being oppressively hot. I drank over 3.0 liters of fluid over the day.

I think a lot depends on what you are doing. If I am working on a bike and need to test ride or heat up oils, I will ride around the rural roads where I live with just pants and the mesh jacket or even just a shirt it its hot. I wear gloves and helmet all the time of course. If its 100F and I need to run some errands I might take the bike with a short sleeve shirt. 35-50 MPH max and one traffic light between my home and Safeway. Commuting to the office, all the gear except I tend to let weather determine my lower half. Generally until winter when it gets cold and I wear my full suit, I will wear only thick cotton work pants.
    Signature

Quote Originally Posted by chrisinsc View Post
    I spent literally 8 hours in the saddle this last Saturday helping marshal a 1400 rider bicycle fun ride on the rural roads through the vineyards around Santa Rosa, CA.

I started with mesh jacket with thick cotton work pants, boots and gloves wearing an Osprey hydration pack with mesh stand off and a reflective neon vest over it all. My first layer was a thin Patagonia long sleeve sun shirt with a hood.

I spent most of the day averaging below 40 MPH, towards the end some few minute blocks at 45-55 when covering ground between clumps of riders. Put 200 miles on a K1200GT which had an annoying cam gear whine (not mine).

The mesh jacket came off at 85F and then it went to 95F. I value comfort and alertness over being oppressively hot. I drank over 3.0 liters of fluid over the day.

I think a lot depends on what you are doing. If I am working on a bike and need to test ride or heat up oils, I will ride around the rural roads where I live with just pants and the mesh jacket or even just a shirt it its hot. I wear gloves and helmet all the time of course. If its 100F and I need to run some errands I might take the bike with a short sleeve shirt. 35-50 MPH max and one traffic light between my home and Safeway. Commuting to the office, all the gear except I tend to let weather determine my lower half. Generally until winter when it gets cold and I wear my full suit, I will wear only thick cotton work pants.
    A lot of people say they don't where gear when close to come or under a certain speed. Most accidents happen close to home and a lot of motorcycle deaths ( I would say most, without looking up stats) happen on city streets below 45 mph.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oscs View Post
    A lot of people say they don't where gear when close to come or under a certain speed. Most accidents happen close to home and a lot of motorcycle deaths ( I would say most, without looking up stats) happen on city streets below 45 mph.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
    Last time I saw the statistics for Montana the most common type of fatal motorcycle accident was running off the road due to excessive speed and/or loss of control. A very large percentage involved alcohol consumption. It also appeared from the statistics that if a rider has a motorcycle endorsement, wears a helmet and does not drink while riding, then that rider becomes immortal.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Last time I saw the statistics for Montana the most common type of fatal motorcycle accident was running off the road due to excessive speed and/or loss of control. A very large percentage involved alcohol consumption.
    A friend and I were out riding this past weekend and while going through one of our small towns it appeared there was a poker run or something similar going on. I would estimate it at 150+ bikes, which is pretty huge for this area.

We drove north from town and stopped at an overlook on a beautiful lake (Lake Tschida), and after a period of time we could hear the HD thunder coming from the south. As the first few bikes rolled by, I watched them less than 1/2 mile away negotiating a right hand uphill curve, which was marked with double yellow. I was shocked at how many of the bikes went over the line, sometimes several feet over the line. Sometimes a bike with a passenger. Everybody can draw their own conclusions, but I would have to believe that alcohol consumption was the likely reason.

We thought most of them had likely gone by so we took off northbound also, and while cruising at a decent 3-4 mph over the posted 65 (we're badass), we had a couple hogs fly by us like we were crawling along.

Poker runs and memorial rides seem to be a big thing, but I for one will never partake. Black leather and an occasional helmet were the gear for the day.

"Live to ride" Yep, live to ride....

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    A friend and I were out riding this past weekend and while going through one of our small towns it appeared there was a poker run or something similar going on. I would estimate it at 150+ bikes, which is pretty huge for this area.

Saturday was September 11. There were lots of memorial rides.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I just went through Zoom call hell, standing in the parking lot of Eurosport Asheville (BMW & KTM dealer) for two hours. I saw at least 20 riders come and go. Most on GSís a couple of RTís. All of them were fully geared up, at least 3/4ís wearing Klim jackets. Not a single squid. All the BMW riders lived up to the stereotype of fully geared up, though I was the only one with an Aerostich jacket.
    rickdm

R1250GS, KTM 790 Duke

My own observations, lots of BMW riders wear full gear but I've come across K1600 and RT riders with novelty helmets, T-shirts and shorts.
    Do those guys have lower IQs?
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT, '18 GSA

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    My own observations, lots of BMW riders wear full gear but I've come across K1600 and RT riders with novelty helmets, T-shirts and shorts.
    Do those guys have lower IQs?
    That would be the inference
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Isn't it so much fun to ridicule people we think are inferior? Hell, it's America, let those who want to sand off their skin and break open their heads do it!

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    There is virtually zero empirical evidence to support that position.

In fact, I would say that my estimation of the average intelligence of the human race has been severely downgraded over the last two years.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & 2022 BMW MOA Rally Co-Chair
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    In fact, I would say that my estimation of the average intelligence of the human race has been severely downgraded over the last two years.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamiejones/...h-need-feeding

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    I totally agree! The amount of stupid is overwhelming on all fronts...
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, Ď17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    I totally agree! The amount of stupid is overwhelming on all fronts...
    The situation reminds me of the old joke: "What is the difference between genius and stupidity? There's a limit to genius."
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & 2022 BMW MOA Rally Co-Chair
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS