• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Large herd of r18's in Boulder, CO on 08/24

airheadbullet

I had been wondering when I would see my first R18 on the road. Yesterday I was riding my bicycle up to the National Center of Atmospheric Research when three R18's went be me on the uphill climb. Those three were followed in short order by about eight more strung out over the next few minutes. What a pleasure that was. My trip up the hill on the bicycle is slow and they all went by me again on their downhill run. Wondered if it was a group with rentals or some sort of club or demo ride. I was too stunned to see license plates. Very cool.

It’s also a press event… dang, BMW ON didn’t ask me to represent the MOA…. again! :ha

#yagottabeinsidethecircle

JonBeck_R1200GSLC-X2.png

I only got two chances: The K1200RS in Spain and Intermot in Germany. Both were great experiences.

A certain Touratech person has gotten quite a few more…. :nod

I feel kinda strongly that these opportunities should be shared among qualified members, it’s consistent with our brand.

A certain Touratech person has gotten quite a few more…. :nod

I feel kinda strongly that these opportunities should be shared among qualified members, it’s consistent with our brand.

I'm available, so I volunteer. Just doing my duty to help. :groovy

I'm available, so I volunteer. Just doing my duty to help. :groovy

Can your ride/write/shoot quality pics and edit quality video and do you feel comfortable schmoozing with other journalists? I feel that the BMW MOA has a great opportunity to promote our brand and create a strong impression of our members if you do. All we have to do is put the team into place. I volunteered to help coordinate this effort a couple of years ago and it didn’t go anywhere. Maybe it was just me. :dunno

Honestly I think our editorial would have far greater weight and create significant gravitas for the MOA brand if we took steps to create expert analysis from qualified members instead of paid 3rd parties, which in reality smacks of astroturf. We have a lot of talent in our ranks, we just have to coordinate it.

We need to pull this together before Revzilla’s Common Thread effort kills us. WE would complement our editorial with promotion of the products that our advertising partners market. Together this would help both members and our vendor partners get ahead in an increasingly competitive world.

Anyone who is on this team has to have the chops, though, and commit to do the work. Wannabes won’t work

Ian

I saw a new Trans R18 at my dealer and admit it is VERY well finished with styling touches everywhere. Besides a Harleyesque brace of instruments on the batwing fairing, it appeared to have a large tv display directly below. Speakers are built into the leading edge of the saddlebags and chrome trim bits are on many edges. The black paint was flawless mit dual white pinstripes for accent. The knee airflow control wings reminded me of an old victrola horn. I think a Touring Harley or Indian would look plain parked next to one of these.

It is cartoonishly large, however. No idea on the price.

The BMW tractor-trailer had a full load of R18s in various styles and colors at Barber's Vintage Days Festival a month ago in Leeds, AL. They had test rides for anyone qualified, their nearby competition in the paddock area was Indian and KTM with their various models. The folks in the NJ Headquarters seem to have their marketing sites set strictly on the R18 line up as we head into the indoor North American Motorcycle Show season.

Last time I rode a BMW as a test bike, I had my checkbook balanced and at the ready. I traded in a toasty-hot K1100LT for a seemingly cooler K1200LT back in '03... This Oktober, I skipped the test rides entirely to browse the Gigantic Swap Meet and the Vintage bikers' paddock area. The racing in various categories was a lot of fun and very serious. https://www.barbermuseum.org

Here's the BMW exhibit tent along Fan Alley.
R18s-displayed.jpeg

Here's the view from the hill where we camped. Over my right shoulder, down thru the trees, was where the manufacturer's Test Fleets were corralled.
Slugs-View.jpg

Happy Trails Y'all!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil

la Secretary & el Presidente, Club #5, celebrating 50 years of AlaBeemer fellowship...
'09 650GS-twin — '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L

See all y'all in Springfield, MO when the MOA will host Their 50th B'day celebration.
:beer

I had been wondering when I would see my first R18 on the road. Yesterday I was riding my bicycle up to the National Center of Atmospheric Research when three R18's went be me on the uphill climb. Those three were followed in short order by about eight more strung out over the next few minutes. What a pleasure that was. My trip up the hill on the bicycle is slow and they all went by me again on their downhill run. Wondered if it was a group with rentals or some sort of club or demo ride. I was too stunned to see license plates. Very cool.

Herd of R-18's? I thought more than 2 was a "pride"...

Back