• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2016 R1200RT Accident Recap -- Helite Turtle2

Blessed indeed !

That is an amazing story.... just, wow!
You have indeed been blessed by the gods Brad!
Sorry about the '16 RT, but can't wait to see the '19 RT
Glad to still have you on this side of the pavement, and see you soon.
JIM

So glad you were not injured. Obviously that could have been really bad. I always, always wear my Turtle vest and have pretty good gear, albeit not as protective as your riding suit. When I replace my Arai helmet I'll definitely be looking for one with a quick release chin strap. Thanks for sharing your story.

I'm a little late to the party, but my Helite Turtle saved me from injury on Day 1 of a 10-day Edelweiss Alps trip in August 2019. We had stopped single-file on the shoulder of a fairly busy two-lane highway to wait for some slower riders, except that the guy behind me didn't know what single-file meant and stopped next to me instead. He lost his footing and over he went, right into me. I came off my bike and spilled onto the roadway. My Turtle deployed as I left the bike. Thanks to the vest and my armored riding gear, I was just fine and picked myself off the roadway before an oncoming bus put an end to my journey. The vest deflated in a few minutes but of course my cartridge was spent. Seems nobody in Austria or Italy could sell me another one, so I rode without it for the remainder of the trip and really felt quite vulnerable. Lesson learned -- I now carry a spare. My get-off was nothing compared to the OP's but it could have ended my trip before we really got started.

I'm a little late to the party, but my Helite Turtle saved me from injury on Day 1 of a 10-day Edelweiss Alps trip in August 2019. We had stopped single-file on the shoulder of a fairly busy two-lane highway to wait for some slower riders, except that the guy behind me didn't know what single-file meant and stopped next to me instead. He lost his footing and over he went, right into me. I came off my bike and spilled onto the roadway. My Turtle deployed as I left the bike. Thanks to the vest and my armored riding gear, I was just fine and picked myself off the roadway before an oncoming bus put an end to my journey. The vest deflated in a few minutes but of course my cartridge was spent. Seems nobody in Austria or Italy could sell me another one, so I rode without it for the remainder of the trip and really felt quite vulnerable. Lesson learned -- I now carry a spare. My get-off was nothing compared to the OP's but it could have ended my trip before we really got started.

I had a VERY low speed get off with the vest..trying to get over a wet root parking at a campsite. The area was very rocky and the spill could have been ugly. I was thrown a few feet and literally bounced with the vest! They were good sized rocks -that vest is tough! I popped right up with no ill consequence to me or the bike (engine and case guards) or the vest. And I DID have a spare CO2, changed it in about two minutes.

Back