Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2016 R1200RT Accident Recap -- Helite Turtle2

Glad to hear you are ok Boxflyer! Your post made me follow-up with Helite regarding their electronic vest. I can barely remember to strap in my helmet so the electronic vest is best for me as I never forget anything about electronics.

Here is the update from Helite:

While we are looking forward to the official US release of the electronic HELITE Airbag options we have been faced with issues delaying the launch, unfortunately.

There are 2 separate issues! The first one is to acquire the FCC approval to launch the electronic vests in the US. It has taken much longer than anticipated as you can tell. The electronic vests made for the US market had to be slightly modified and differ from the units sold in Europe. The 2nd issue is the supply shortage for crucial parts of the electronic vests. Especially the electronic components are impossible to get at the moment due to worldwide supply shortages caused by the pandemic.

We urge all US customers to NOT purchase E-Vests from overseas as that will create many issues. First of all, we (HELITE MOTO) will not be able to service or warrant vests being purchased from Europe or outside of the US. Additionally, the vests being sold in Europe do NOT have the required FCC approval that is needed for usage in the US. In fact, companies selling these vests to the US violate their affiliation with HELITE by doing so. Lastly, we will not be able to provide replacement parts for vests purchased from outside the US.

Yes, it is all extremely frustrating as we have planned a rollout of this particular product line for the last 2 years. Despite the frustration we are eagerly looking forward to the release and will make sure to notify all riders that are interested in the HELITE E-Vests. The easiest way to be notified is to send an email directly to me at patrick@helitemoto.com

That email address can be used for any HELITE related inquiries.

Glad you are OK, and what a testimonial. You have confirmed my decision to always ride with a vest. I started with a HitAir vest. Still like it and use it when riding in hot weather. I also bought a Tec 5 vest because I kept forgetting to clip into the HitAir, and the inflation times were faster. But based on your accident it seems the HitAir system (which Helite licenses from HitAir) is plenty fast. I do like the fact that once you put the Tech 5 on you don't have to think about it again.

I have set off my HitAir twice when dropping the bike. Just 5 minutes to replace the canister. I had the Tech 5 go off on another drop (how many times can this guy drop a bike? ), but they refilled it for free since it is not supposed to go off when the bike is not rolling.
    rickdm

R1250GS, KTM 790 Duke

Thank you Boxflyer

Wow, what a story --- so glad you came away unscathed. I thought I was wearing all the safety gear I can, but just ordered the vest to add to my arsenal. Thanks for sharing your story in the interest of our well-being.

First, let me say that I have ordered a Helite vest and will happily wear it. That said I realize its limitations. A couple brief examples: At 35 mph (probably my average speed all things considered) I will be moving at 51 feet per second. In .2 seconds I will have travelled about 13 feet before the bag is fully inflated (5.1+5.1+ 3' of lanyard slack). That 13 feet is well past the handlebars, and probably well past whatever caused the rapid unplanned dismount. At 60 mph it'll be 21 feet of flying distance before the bag is fully inflated. A lot can happen in those distances.
    And a lot can happen after those distances, that's why I'll be wearing a vest.
    Bought new Honda Dream 150 in 1964. Last ride, a friendís BMW R75 on the morning of my wedding in 1969! Now all in with my 2018 R1200RT.

The figure I see for inflation is 80 milliseconds, or 0.08 seconds.

Here's another video showing actual crashes with real riders that illustrate that you don't travel as far as your calculations.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v79tKQbJWNo

I figured my back was only about 2 inches from the front edge of the 49L top case when my vest was actuated...and closing rapidly!

The vest was sufficiently inflated to absorb all the energy of my back on the top case with enough force to break the top case loose from the rear rack.

The numbers for closure, distance traveled, bodies in motion, etc are very similar to what we see in slow motion playback of auto air bags with crash dummies.

If you correctly install the lanyard, you should have much less than 3 feet of separation from your seated position before deployment.

I'm not trying to get into a big argument here, but I think your figures are excessive.

Glad you got a vest, and I very much hope that you, or anyone you know, never have an instance for it to deploy.

Brad
    Last edited by Boxflyer; 08-27-2021 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxflyer View Post
    The figure I see for inflation is 80 milliseconds, or 0.08 seconds.

Here's another video showing actual crashes with real riders that illustrate that you don't travel as far as your calculations.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v79tKQbJWNo

I figured my back was only about 2 inches from the front edge of the 49L top case when my vest was actuated...and closing rapidly!

The vest was sufficiently inflated to absorb all the energy of my back on the top case with enough force to break the top case loose from the rear rack.

The numbers for closure, distance traveled, bodies in motion, etc are very similar to what we see in slow motion playback of auto air bags with crash dummies.

If you correctly install the lanyard, you should have much less than 3 feet of separation from your seated position before deployment.

I'm not trying to get into a big argument here, but I think your figures are excessive.

Glad you got a vest, and I very much hope that you, or anyone you know, never have an instance to for it deploy.

Brad
    No matter what the time for inflation is, it's fast enough. Splitting hairs on milliseconds is actually funny when the vests have numerous saves from all manner of crashes.

That's all I was really interested in when I bought mine
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Boxflyer great submission and powerful testimony. Iím glad you are ok. You might consider submitting your piece to Bill Wiegand for an ON column, so we can spread the gospel of effective safety gear far and wide beyond the limited reach of the forums.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA President

Wow is all I can say ... just saw this after being away helping my daughter relocate to Charlotte, NC ... I am so happy to hear you were not seriously injured in this unfortunate accident. I very much appreciate your contributions here and wouldn't have the confidence to do all the things I've done to maintain my 2016 RT without the immensely helpful material you've spent so much of your time developing and contributing to the RT community. While I've had an interest in airbag vests since they first became available, I have not as yet purchased one and can tell you that I will definitely be adding one to my collection of riding gear after the accident recap you've posted. I'm also glad to hear you intend to continue riding and contributing to our little riding community. Ride on and ride safe!!
    2016 BMW R1200RT
    1996 Honda VF750C Magna
    1983 Honda CB550 Nighthawk

Boxflyer, I just have to add my thanks for sharing your story. Very informative and is motivating me to add a vest to my gear. Like many others I have been thinking over purchasing one for a couple of years, but this very personal story is triggering my non-rational brain more than all the empirical and theoretical evidence that I am better off wearing one than not!

As others have suggested, spreading this more widely - Motorrad forum or OM, would be a great idea.

Thanks again and glad you are ok!

ack

It took about six weeks for Helite to deliver my vest which I ordered as a result of this thread. Iíve worn it almost every time out since it arrived. Only once, and after only about a mile did I find that Iíd forgotten to attach the lanyard. Oops. Detached, the vest is one expensive piece of clothing.
    Iím 5í11Ē, 168lbs and the Large size vest fits perfectly over my summer or cold weather armored jackets. I opted for the yellow to offset my dark cold weather and leather jackets. I look a bit like a road construction flagman, but thatís a small sacrifice.
    Bought new Honda Dream 150 in 1964. Last ride, a friendís BMW R75 on the morning of my wedding in 1969! Now all in with my 2018 R1200RT.

Thanks Boxflyer

Thanks for the excellent post Boxflyer. I just ordered a Helite vest.

Blessed indeed !

That is an amazing story.... just, wow!
    You have indeed been blessed by the gods Brad!
    Sorry about the '16 RT, but can't wait to see the '19 RT
    Glad to still have you on this side of the pavement, and see you soon.
    JIM
    '10 R1200RT - Ostra Grey
    IBA 1000/24, 2014
    IBA 1500/36, 2016
    IBA 2000/48, Sept 2018

So glad you were not injured. Obviously that could have been really bad. I always, always wear my Turtle vest and have pretty good gear, albeit not as protective as your riding suit. When I replace my Arai helmet I'll definitely be looking for one with a quick release chin strap. Thanks for sharing your story.