• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 R1200RT Accident Recap -- Helite Turtle2

Thanks Boxflyer, I’ve been on the fence regarding an air vest for a bit and your story provided the catalyst for my purchase this morning. Hope all remains well and your enjoy the new ride!

Brian

As others have said... WOW. Glad that you're still with us both here on this earth and as a continuing rider.

There are days here when it is over 100 degrees and I don't want to ATGATT, but I force myself to because I know it's the right thing to do. Your story is a reminder of that.

Last edited:
Boxflyer, I’m glad you’re OK. Like you and many others, I’m an ATGATT rider. FYI, I have some of the same gear. Motoport Kevlar Mesh suit (I find this a great warm weather suit) and Shoei Neotec 2 helmet. While $3,903 may seem like a lot to some, but I consider that cheap insurance.
I remember when vests first came out, I thought it was an interesting idea, but I was thinking it needed a little more refinement. Fast forward several years and it seems like much of the refinement is there. It certainly makes me think about getting one.

[Aside: Is the pressurized cylinder actually CO2, or Argon or other gas? In my experience, CO2 being stored as a liquid only has so much potential energy. When it changes from a liquid to a gas the temperature drops dramatically, slowing down the phase change. This layman's guess is that CO2 may not be the gas of choice.]

Boxflyer posted this link with a review about the vest. They briefly talk about why CO2 was utilized. If you want a little more information, you can watch the video, it’s not that long. Here's the link....

If you want to see this Helite Turtle2 AirBag Vest in action FortNine has an excellent review. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2jZryt607U
Boxflyer

Have had my Turtle 2 vest in HiViz for a few years now. Don't wear it all the time, but some of the time is better than none of the time for not owning one.

Glad to hear another save story for Helite's vest.

Glad you had it on. Coincidentally, I set off my Tech 5 air vest yesterday in a zero mph tip over. No damage to me other than the cost of rearming it -- these need to go to Alpine Stars to be refurbished. I think I'll use my Hit-Air (which I got for the track) in the meantime.

Glad to hear you made it thru such an experience OK. Good story and thanks for sharing. I saw a demo of the Helite at Wunderlich America in Hendersonville, NC a couple of weeks ago. I was starting to be convinced after seeing the demo and becoming more convinced now.

So happy that you’re still with us, and thanks for sharing your story. It could have turned out so differently. It’s always a pleasure to read something that is written so well. I too enjoy the videos.

Let us know how well, or not, the insurance companies handle the situation.

E.

I have USAA for all my insurance, and they sub-out their motosports policies to Progressive.

The other driver's insurance (Hartford) claimed 100% responsibility for the accident, so I wasn't faced with any of my deductibles and everything was covered completely.
My Progressive policy has a $3000 cap on added bike accessories and rider safety equipment lumped in to one category.
Between my front and rear Ilium bars, paint film, tank pads, windshield, headlight cover, reflective tape and 49L top case to name a few,...plus some adjustment for my gear including the $29 for a new CO2 cylinder on my Helite Turtle2, I reached the $3000 limit.

The allowance for my totaled bike with 78k miles on it was very generous and with a little extra from the retirement fund, I purchased a used 2019 R1250RT with Option 719 and Akropovic exhaust plus other farkles. Only had 11k miles.

Overall, I have been VERY satisfied with the way Progressive has handled this claim and will be staying with them.

I'm ready to be on the road again with all my riding gear and will continue to wear it all, whether it's hot or cold.

Glad to hear you are ok Boxflyer! Your post made me follow-up with Helite regarding their electronic vest. I can barely remember to strap in my helmet so the electronic vest is best for me as I never forget anything about electronics.

Here is the update from Helite:

While we are looking forward to the official US release of the electronic HELITE Airbag options we have been faced with issues delaying the launch, unfortunately.

There are 2 separate issues! The first one is to acquire the FCC approval to launch the electronic vests in the US. It has taken much longer than anticipated as you can tell. The electronic vests made for the US market had to be slightly modified and differ from the units sold in Europe. The 2nd issue is the supply shortage for crucial parts of the electronic vests. Especially the electronic components are impossible to get at the moment due to worldwide supply shortages caused by the pandemic.

We urge all US customers to NOT purchase E-Vests from overseas as that will create many issues. First of all, we (HELITE MOTO) will not be able to service or warrant vests being purchased from Europe or outside of the US. Additionally, the vests being sold in Europe do NOT have the required FCC approval that is needed for usage in the US. In fact, companies selling these vests to the US violate their affiliation with HELITE by doing so. Lastly, we will not be able to provide replacement parts for vests purchased from outside the US.

Yes, it is all extremely frustrating as we have planned a rollout of this particular product line for the last 2 years. Despite the frustration we are eagerly looking forward to the release and will make sure to notify all riders that are interested in the HELITE E-Vests. The easiest way to be notified is to send an email directly to me at patrick@helitemoto.com

That email address can be used for any HELITE related inquiries.

Glad you are OK, and what a testimonial. You have confirmed my decision to always ride with a vest. I started with a HitAir vest. Still like it and use it when riding in hot weather. I also bought a Tec 5 vest because I kept forgetting to clip into the HitAir, and the inflation times were faster. But based on your accident it seems the HitAir system (which Helite licenses from HitAir) is plenty fast. I do like the fact that once you put the Tech 5 on you don't have to think about it again.

I have set off my HitAir twice when dropping the bike. Just 5 minutes to replace the canister. I had the Tech 5 go off on another drop (how many times can this guy drop a bike? :laugh), but they refilled it for free since it is not supposed to go off when the bike is not rolling.

Thank you Boxflyer

Wow, what a story --- so glad you came away unscathed. I thought I was wearing all the safety gear I can, but just ordered the vest to add to my arsenal. Thanks for sharing your story in the interest of our well-being.

First, let me say that I have ordered a Helite vest and will happily wear it. That said I realize its limitations. A couple brief examples: At 35 mph (probably my average speed all things considered) I will be moving at 51 feet per second. In .2 seconds I will have travelled about 13 feet before the bag is fully inflated (5.1+5.1+ 3' of lanyard slack). That 13 feet is well past the handlebars, and probably well past whatever caused the rapid unplanned dismount. At 60 mph it'll be 21 feet of flying distance before the bag is fully inflated. A lot can happen in those distances.
And a lot can happen after those distances, that's why I'll be wearing a vest.

The figure I see for inflation is 80 milliseconds, or 0.08 seconds.

Here's another video showing actual crashes with real riders that illustrate that you don't travel as far as your calculations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v79tKQbJWNo

I figured my back was only about 2 inches from the front edge of the 49L top case when my vest was actuated...and closing rapidly!

The vest was sufficiently inflated to absorb all the energy of my back on the top case with enough force to break the top case loose from the rear rack.

The numbers for closure, distance traveled, bodies in motion, etc are very similar to what we see in slow motion playback of auto air bags with crash dummies.

If you correctly install the lanyard, you should have much less than 3 feet of separation from your seated position before deployment.

I'm not trying to get into a big argument here, but I think your figures are excessive.

Glad you got a vest, and I very much hope that you, or anyone you know, never have an instance for it to deploy.

Brad

Last edited:
The figure I see for inflation is 80 milliseconds, or 0.08 seconds.

Here's another video showing actual crashes with real riders that illustrate that you don't travel as far as your calculations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v79tKQbJWNo

I figured my back was only about 2 inches from the front edge of the 49L top case when my vest was actuated...and closing rapidly!

The vest was sufficiently inflated to absorb all the energy of my back on the top case with enough force to break the top case loose from the rear rack.

The numbers for closure, distance traveled, bodies in motion, etc are very similar to what we see in slow motion playback of auto air bags with crash dummies.

If you correctly install the lanyard, you should have much less than 3 feet of separation from your seated position before deployment.

I'm not trying to get into a big argument here, but I think your figures are excessive.

Glad you got a vest, and I very much hope that you, or anyone you know, never have an instance to for it deploy.

Brad

No matter what the time for inflation is, it's fast enough. Splitting hairs on milliseconds is actually funny when the vests have numerous saves from all manner of crashes. :laugh

That's all I was really interested in when I bought mine

Boxflyer great submission and powerful testimony. I’m glad you are ok. You might consider submitting your piece to Bill Wiegand for an ON column, so we can spread the gospel of effective safety gear far and wide beyond the limited reach of the forums.

Wow is all I can say ... just saw this after being away helping my daughter relocate to Charlotte, NC ... I am so happy to hear you were not seriously injured in this unfortunate accident. I very much appreciate your contributions here and wouldn't have the confidence to do all the things I've done to maintain my 2016 RT without the immensely helpful material you've spent so much of your time developing and contributing to the RT community. While I've had an interest in airbag vests since they first became available, I have not as yet purchased one and can tell you that I will definitely be adding one to my collection of riding gear after the accident recap you've posted. I'm also glad to hear you intend to continue riding and contributing to our little riding community. Ride on and ride safe!!

Boxflyer, I just have to add my thanks for sharing your story. Very informative and is motivating me to add a vest to my gear. Like many others I have been thinking over purchasing one for a couple of years, but this very personal story is triggering my non-rational brain more than all the empirical and theoretical evidence that I am better off wearing one than not! :whistle

As others have suggested, spreading this more widely - Motorrad forum or OM, would be a great idea.

Thanks again and glad you are ok!

ack

It took about six weeks for Helite to deliver my vest which I ordered as a result of this thread. I’ve worn it almost every time out since it arrived. Only once, and after only about a mile did I find that I’d forgotten to attach the lanyard. Oops. Detached, the vest is one expensive piece of clothing.
I’m 5’11”, 168lbs and the Large size vest fits perfectly over my summer or cold weather armored jackets. I opted for the yellow to offset my dark cold weather and leather jackets. I look a bit like a road construction flagman, but that’s a small sacrifice.

Back