• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Maintenance Lift / Jack

solarr

I'm looking to purchase a lift/jack to perform maintenance on the motorcycle (2021 G 310 GS). In the past, I've lifted bikes from the oil pan. It appears all I need to do is remove the skid plate and 4 rubber bushings. The primary purpose for the lift/jack will be for maintenance and access to spinning/removing the front and rear wheels.

I found an Extreme Max 5001.5044 lift on Amazon for $70 USD.

I'm hoping a forum member can give a thumbs up, thumbs down or their own recommendation.

Thank you.

If I had my G310 on its centerstand I would use such a scissors jack to support under the engine to remove the front wheel. But I would never try to lift a bike on a jack 9 inches wide. It would be immensely easy to tip the bike off the jack.

A friend gave me a Harbor Freight ATV/Motorcycle Lift ($110) (https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-steel-atvmotorcycle-lift-60536.html). I use it on my motorcycle lifts to lift the rear of a Zero Turn mower, lawn tractor and ATV when I’m servicing them. Only once did I lift a motorcycle with it. It was a large Yamaha cruiser and the bike was very stable on the HF lift. Still I had the owner and his son stand beside the bike while I did my inspection. I think it is a much more stable solution than the lift you are considering.

When used as Paul described yours would be a safe approach. I use a scissor jack for the same purpose, but would not trust your idea to support an entire bike.

Someone mentioned using rope to ceiling rafters to the handle bars as a tip-over safety feature. I kinda like that concept.
OM

Not a rafter, but I sometimes use a hoist to steady a bike when working on the suspension.

IMG-2561.jpg

IMG-2562.jpg

Well, the 5-star treatment for your bike (and yourself) is to get a lift - I have really enjoyed my HMC Industries SL-3086.

I had the harbor freight moto lift for over 10 years and it worked great for removing tires (one at a time), fork work, removing engines/transmissions, etc. However, you still have to get down on the floor. I've cranked up both a 1800cc Goldwing and a K1200LT using it without issue. It's nice that it has wheels for moving it around and storing it. I have also (with help) gently moved bikes with it. If I needed further stabilization, I'd use some sawhorses and straps on the rear, and one time I used a ladder and straps. I think it's a great option, provided you respect it's limitations.

I use a scissor type lift for removing tires and other things in combination with my HMC lift and tire chock. Just know that you should add some grease to them when you first receive it, and they aren't always high-quality. Here was my issue with a $75 one from Amazon. After the repair, it's been working great.

I agree with Paul. Use the center stand and a jack to help support the bike. The one you picture from Amazon is too narrow. You need an ATV lift, but then I don't know if you can lift a G310 with one. The lower part of the frame needs to be "flat" with nothing protruding below. Many bikes have the center stand or exhaust in the way.

If you have a center stand I don't see much use for a jack to lift the whole bike, other than a lift table.

Back