• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New (to me) G310GS

I sold my K75RT in the spring, and my (much loved) R1100R last week. My wife will have to sell my 1995 R1100RSL after my remains are in an urn.

But today we added a 2018 G310GS. It will make for very nice weekend rides with Michelle (my wife) on her (my former, bought new from BMW of Richfield, MN) 2018 G310R (now lowered by two inches for her shorter inseam).

The new-to-me GS has an extended warranty to 2024.

Purchased from Hermy's BMW Motorcycles in Port Clinton, PA -- it was the best vehicle purchase experience I've ever had (although Richfield BMW was excellent, too). Great people, family owned...I can't possibly recommend them enough.

After just a 60 mile ride home from Hermy's, I am already in love with this bike!

IMG_1730_g310gs.jpg

Thanks guys. Michelle and I had a really nice ride today with our 310s. I've owned a lot of bikes in 42 years of riding...and the 310 GS is rapidly moving towards a favorite. I'm somewhat taken aback by how much I enjoy it.

ride_310s_082121.jpg

It didn't take long to really appreciate this little bike. It's the lightest motorcycle I've ever owned and really easy to maneuver.
My pocket book loves the 70-72 miles per gallon.

Enjoy.

I sold my K75RT in the spring, and my (much loved) R1100R last week. My wife will have to sell my 1995 R1100RSL after my remains are in an urn.

But today we added a 2018 G310GS. It will make for very nice weekend rides with Michelle (my wife) on her (my former, bought new from BMW of Richfield, MN) 2018 G310R (now lowered by two inches for her shorter inseam).

The new-to-me GS has an extended warranty to 2024.

Purchased from Hermy's BMW Motorcycles in Port Clinton, PA -- it was the best vehicle purchase experience I've ever had (although Richfield BMW was excellent, too). Great people, family owned...I can't possibly recommend them enough.

After just a 60 mile ride home from Hermy's, I am already in love with this bike!

View attachment 84904
mtraphagen - how much did it cost to have the 310R lowered and where did you have it done? My wife bought one last year(a 310R)and was told they couldn't lower it like you could the 310 GS. Also did they have to shorten the kickstand on the 310R ?

mtraphagen - how much did it cost to have the 310R lowered and where did you have it done? My wife bought one last year(a 310R)and was told they couldn't lower it like you could the 310 GS. Also did they have to shorten the kickstand on the 310R ?

I purchased a lowering link from Bob's BMW in Maryland. It wasn't difficult to do, but the plastic rear fender does need to be notched to allow for the addition of the link. That took the most time. Also be careful with the needle bearings (I think they are called) when pulling the bottom end of the rear shock.

A company called T-Rex Racing also sells a link that is considerably less expensive, although they were not in stock when I was purchasing. They also have an excellent YouTube video on the install (which is the same, despite that I didn't use their link).

I did not lower the side stand on the R -- although Michelle does need to be more careful about where and how she parks as the bike is more upright on the stand. I was told the stand only had to be lowered when using the link on the GS.

I did not lower the front on the forks -- although low, the bike somehow feels like it handles better now. My wife loves that she can flat foot it.

T-Rex Racing video: https://youtu.be/5F0Hdre6Rgk

I did not lower the front on the forks -- although low, the bike somehow feels like it handles better now. My wife loves that she can flat foot it.

T-Rex Racing video: https://youtu.be/5F0Hdre6Rgk

News Flash: The sidestand on the G310GS needs to be shortened even if the bike isn't lowered. In the OEM configuration, unless the suspension is cranked way up, just try to park on a typical sloping road shoulder. Go ahead - I dare you. :)

News Flash: The sidestand on the G310GS needs to be shortened even if the bike isn't lowered. In the OEM configuration, unless the suspension is cranked way up, just try to park on a typical sloping road shoulder. Go ahead - I dare you. :)

Yeah, I've discovered that... Who needs a center stand when the bike stands upright on the side stand?

It didn't take long to really appreciate this little bike. It's the lightest motorcycle I've ever owned and really easy to maneuver.
My pocket book loves the 70-72 miles per gallon.

Enjoy.

I've calculated that once I hit 36,000 miles, the bike is paid off in the amount of money I would have spent to fuel up the vehicle. At the rate I'm going, it will take 2 years to hit that mark.
And yes, I smile when I see how many miles per gallon this little bike gets.

Back