• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 R1200RT runs badly when riding in the rain

st1100pilot

Heya all. This bike is new to me with 58K on the clock. I purchased it from a BMW dealer and it runs and rides absolutely great. I got it because my K1200LT is just too danged heavy for my taste.

Anyway, on my 3rd ride since having the bike, I couldn't stay off of it and rode it to work on a rainy day. After about 20 minutes of being wet the bike started to run badly and idle badly too. I parked in the garage at work where it dried out and ran great when work was over, until I hit a big rain storm on the way home, when it started to run badly again. The following day I rode it when dry and it ran great.

I've spent lots of time searching the MOA and the BMWRT forums to see if anybody else has reported this issue, but I can't find one other person posting about it. This is my first boxer twin and I'm suspecting I should look at the coils based on what I've found. Does this sound like a good place to start tracking this issue down? They aren't cheap, so is there a way to determine if they are faulty, rather than just replacing with new ones?

Much appreciated!

Had the same issue with a car. Pull the plug covers off the valve covers, hit the coils with a garden hose and see what happens. How I determined my issue with the car. There a 2 more coils below the cylinders.

Welcome to the forum!
A good way to test is with a spray bottle and water. Preferably in a darkened are…..watch and listen.
Good luck.
Gary

Plug Wires

Welcome to the forum!
A good way to test is with a spray bottle and water. Preferably in a darkened are…..watch and listen.
Good luck.
Gary

Had a similar problem with an oilhead. I found the wires arcing while wet and replaced the wires.

Back