• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brake Pads 2007 R1200RT

burnbender

I have a 2007 R1200RT. I replaced the rear brake pads on the bike at 48000 miles during a 12000 mile service. I now have 52000 miles and it appears I may need to replace the pads again. I used organic pads as called for in the Clymers and my owners manual. I am wondering if anyone is using semi sintered pads and if they have a longer life. 4000 seems a little short for brake life.

I have a 2007 R1200RT. I replaced the rear brake pads on the bike at 48000 miles during a 12000 mile service. I now have 52000 miles and it appears I may need to replace the pads again. I used organic pads as called for in the Clymers and my owners manual. I am wondering if anyone is using semi sintered pads and if they have a longer life. 4000 seems a little short for brake life.

That is way to short a life span for brake pads unless you are riding like you own the race track. Which then raises several questions. What brand pads? Does the bike have linked brakes? How long did the original pads last? After a ride is the rear disk hot? Any smells?

I could add more but these are enough to start to figure out what is wrong.

Agreed - 4k isn't near long enough. Have you check to see if you have a caliper that functions correctly and isn't dragging?

Try using the OEM BMW pads.

I will add the year and model to the title.

Good luck.

OM

I used EBC organic pads. As to the life of the pads I changed out, I have no idea. I bought the bike used with a little under 42000. At that time I found the caliper dragging so I disassembled cleaned and reinstalled. I do accumulate a lot of brake dust on my rim. I have ridden the Ozarks and done the Dragon, the Skyway and all over the Smoky Mountains since I installed the new pads. Maybe the caliper is sticking again. That's why I come to the sages here. So the question of whether or not to use semi sintered pads?

Back