• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fairing removal — 2021 S1000XR

pneumadeux

Synopsis:

1: How do I remove the tank cover and side cowling fairings on this bike?
2: I need to locate a switched wire to tap into using a PosiTap

My brand spankin' new Sargent seat is being FedEx'd today, and I'm excited.

It's the heated version, so I'll want to mount the heat controller near the wonder wheel using their mirror mount.

That means I have to route cables. But I can't find ANY clear help on removing the plastics on this 2021.

WebBikeWorld has a nice article on a previous model, but... yeah.

I've taken the 4 M5 bolts out of the center tank fairing, but wow... hidden clips have it held securely in place.

Anyone have a clue how to pop that loose without snapping tabs???

Once I have a clear location for the wires, I'll need to locate a switched wire to tap into. Any takers on that?

Hopefully someone with a 2021 XR will help.
It sure helps to know where the hidden tabs are ahead of time.
It helps if you can order a DVD from your dealer.

Hopefully someone with a 2021 XR will help.
It sure helps to know where the hidden tabs are ahead of time.
It helps if you can order a DVD from your dealer.

Agreed... why oh why, dear BMW engineers, did you go with the pop-tabs...?

DVD?

I called my dealer and asked for an exploded diagram; anything that could help visualize.

They gave me a link to realoem.com

Unfortunately, that was of little assistance, although I did find a very simplified drawing of the fairings in the tank area.

BMW sells a Repair Manual on DVD. They're approx $110.
It will show the order of removing the panels.
I saw in another post some of the Repair Manual are out of stock now.

Wow. That's wonderful.

I just spend a bit of time doing some 'net searches...

Apparently, the new series XRs don't have repair manuals published yet.

I hope to be proven wrong :)

Do you still need this info?

I've had 2021 tank plastics off a couple of times. If you still need this, let me know and I'll take notes this next time and post them.

Yes, plastics removal notes, please!

I've had 2021 tank plastics off a couple of times. If you still need this, let me know and I'll take notes this next time and post them.

I did manage to get some very scant direction from my dealer about removal, and I pulled off just the topmost layer to run the wiring for my new heated seat. But a clearer step-by-step for more than that would be very appreciated.

You just bought a $22,500 + bike from the dealer. Give the Service MGR a call and explain what you're doing and if you can stop by with the bike and he or the tech can take 5 mins to explain how to take them off because the realoem site wasn't explicit enough and you're afraid to break a tab (the tupperware can be expensive to replace, never mind the painting) I know my dealer in Ft. Lauderdale would do that no prob.

Worth a shot anyway....

samson_scott-shred.jpg

My dealer is 230 miles away :)

Thank you for your solid, common sense suggestion.

Here's a little backstory as to why my dealer relationship has been email and phone...

After less than impressive experiences at 2 local BMW dealers, my search led me to a dealer over 200 miles away — and they were absolutely stellar. The purchase experience was so smooth and painless, and the test ride scenario so accommodating, that I rode it back for the break-in service 2 months later.

Added tidbit: The bike I purchased was one of only 2 factory lowered 2021's in the continental US at the time, and that was a big part of my search.

I suppose I could try the closest dealer and see what kind of service they'll offer a guy who initially came there for test rides, was limited to 3 miles max, bought a bike elsewhere, and now wants to develop a relationship for service based primarily on proximity.

(I know. I know...)

But you're absolutely right. Worth a shot. I'll report back.

:)

You just bought a $22,500 + bike from the dealer. Give the Service MGR a call and explain what you're doing and if you can stop by with the bike and he or the tech can take 5 mins to explain how to take them off because the realoem site wasn't explicit enough and you're afraid to break a tab (the tupperware can be expensive to replace, never mind the painting) I know my dealer in Ft. Lauderdale would do that no prob.

Worth a shot anyway....

View attachment 85637

There is never a better time to start a good dealership relationship than now. Unless you had a blowup or bad blood before, the past is past and the future is the future.

Go see them. Buy something. Chat with a service guy. Drink coffee.

Back