• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Garmin Express Ver. 7.8.0.0 Available 8/13/2021

ExGMan

Just checked today and a new version is available for the MacOS. Not sure it it's for the PC world also...

Screen Shot 2021-08-13 at 4.20.51 PM.png

Thanks.

Honest to God, I wonder if Garmin ever thinks to *notify* their customers about updates. I was surprised to see that my app was so out of date. The only way to update is to go to the Garmin site and download.... and they still don't tell you what version you're getting.

I am still wrestling to get the latest maps installed in my Zumo XT (which I hate, especially since I bought it just before they intro'd the new Montana). They have so messed up a simple thing that I had to draw a flowchart to figure out just what the hell is going on with that thing when connected to Basecamp (which is now dead) or their new Explorer (which is the software from hell).

Just might break down and start using a phone for navigation. :gerg

Ian

Screen%20Shot%202020-05-19%20at%2010.07.26%20AM-X2.png

My PC is set up to load Garmin Express when it detects my Nav VI. Then it checks the version of Garmin Express and offers to update itself if needed. Once it's done that, it checks the Nav for firmware and map versions, and if the are newer versions it asks if I want to upgrade them.

I don't find the process of keeping current to be onerous at all.

Some of this stuff gets cranky if too many updates are tried at once. Good to stay up on the updates. :wave
OM

My PC is set up to load Garmin Express when it detects my Nav VI. Then it checks the version of Garmin Express and offers to update itself if needed. Once it's done that, it checks the Nav for firmware and map versions, and if the are newer versions it asks if I want to upgrade them.

I don't find the process of keeping current to be onerous at all.

When you plug a GPS into a Mac, nothing happens except it goes into file tranfer/communication mode. Sometimes Android File Transfer fires up and you have to turn that off. Then you can manually start Express. There you can see if your devices up to date, but not the Express software unless you check your version and then go to the Garmin site. I have Express set to automatically download updates but it does not do it. Express is also set to come on when the device is connected to the Max. Sometimes Express comes on, sometimes Android starts. See more below

Your operative phrase is PC. Garmin does much better with PC and has never done well with Mac. And now that the new units have Android OS, the problem is even worse. The system never does the same thing the same way twice.

On Macs, all software works pretty much the same way. Menus are consistent. Program Name >> Check for Updates is a MacOS standard, but Garmin Express does not have. You must choose Garmin Express >> About Garmin Express to see what version you have, then visit the Garmin site, search for Express, then download and install.... *then* you find out what version you now have. Sloppy.

Theoretically, Basecamp will also tell you about any map updates you paid for (different from Device software), but you have to use Express to download the map updates, slooooowwwwwly. Nowadays Garmin puts maps on chips and not on local hard drives. But, the EU maps that I downloaded onto my own SD Cards in my old Montana do not work in the XT, and the maps cannot be imported from my Mac. (The idea was just to switch SD Cards between devices, you still only are able to use the map on one device. Both my old Montana and my XT function, I am still working to trust the XT). So I had to pay another $100 to get *Garmin's* SD Card with the same maps I've already paid for so that they'd work on the XT. And... if I want to use Basecamp (which is dead) to plan routes in EU, the GPS must be plugged in to the Mac, which slowly reads in the maps... and the planning process is cumbersomely slow.

If I could plan routes on my iPad Pro and send them to the XUMO XT GPS via bluetooth or cloud transfer, I would be a lot happier! (Old Montana has no bluetooth)

But you have to use Garmin's new web-based Explore app, it is so rudimentary, slow and cumbersome as to be almost useless. But it is slowly improving and integrating the Mini tracking device into the user interface, so it will eventually be good. If you do plan a route online in Explore, the good news is that it automagially synchs with the GPS when it is connected to Wifi. But your route is in a different section of the device and I'lll be damned if I can find the waypoints that are part of the GPX I made. :banghead

At least through iCloud I have some semblance of a clue what's going on!

And now they have a new large-screen Montana with integrated InReach Mini..... acccchhhhkkkkkk

Last edited:
If I could plan routes on my iPad Pro and send them to the XUMO XT GPS via bluetooth or cloud transfer, I would be a lot happier! (Old Montana has no bluetooth)

Furkot. https://trips.furkot.com/

Go to this webpage and go through the tutorials, paying special attention to the first one on initial setup. It helps to have that one open while doing the initial setup. You’ll need the Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter along with a USB power adapter and cable to do a wired connection from iPad to GPS. I have only started getting into this setup with Nav VI and 590LM but the goal is to ditch the laptop and carry only phone and iPad when traveling. Yes, there is a learning curve but nothing like Basecamp.

BaseCamp was well on its way to being a useful mapping tool. It was primarily it’s data structure that had people flummoxed at first, and once that had been absorbed usability was pretty good. Then Garmin discontinued support for it, as you mentioned, and came out with a new product. I have little faith in Garmin’s rate of progress on the new tool nor their long-term commitment to it. Furkot looks to me to be a better option.

YMMV,
DeVern

It's also there for the Windows users. No Map update, just Garmin express. Any clue as to what specifically was updated?

Yes, I have a Furkot account, I was an early user when Dan Townsley (dyrtbyk on ADVrider) started consulting with them. I like it in general, and will try your connector idea. I only travel now with an iPad and that sure makes life easier.

Another great one for on-line planning is RideWithGPS.com

The trick is getting a route you plan with a tool like this onto your GPS. The cloud thing is actually a decent route with iCloud/iPhone/Garmin Drive App… if you can figure out which hoop to jump through to actually find the route once it reaches your GPS.

It used to be so simple….

Back