• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hello from Kanas City area. New here, and new to my R1200RT

scottfischer

I am now the proud owner of a 2016 R1200RT. Before 2018, I never had any kind of desire to ride at or look at any BWM motorcycle. I was always a Honda guy with a few dabs into Yamaha and Suzuki and Kawasaki. My favorite bike was a 1983 Honda CB1100F which I bought new in 1983. I just sold that a couple weeks ago to a guy in Houston. It probably had over 100,000 miles on it total. Most of those came in the first 10 years and then the last 28 not so much as I rode newer bikes that I had.

Anyway....in 2018, some buddies called me about doing an Iron Butt 1000 in 24 hours (Denver to SaltLakeCity and back, roundabout way). I did not have anything at that time that I wanted to do that on so I called a guy in Denver that rents bikes and the K1600 I wanted to try (I was an inline-4 guy so an inline-6 should be fine) was gone. So he suggested an RT. I said "no desire". One of my buddies talked me into it by saying with 5 on the ride, we could trade off if I did not like it. I ended up riding it the entire way. It went from not even being a bike that hit any of my radar screens to possibly being the next bike I buy. So, after shopping for about 3 years, (and buying and selling a few other bikes during that time) I found one in my price range. The kids were now through college so I had a little more discretionary income.

So......here I am. Left from KC and picked up the bike in Chattanooga and proceeded to take it on a 2000 mile inaugural trip. Another 1000 mile trip a month or so later. Few hundred around the Kansas City area and nearby towns. I have a Blackbird also but it is not seeming to get much riding time now......

Welcome, Scott, from the coast of Kansas. Nice story and not unlike a few (myself included) on this forum: I rode for a lifetime on mostly Japanese bikes and had lots of Hondas. A ST1100 was one of the best road bikes built and I put tons of miles and rode in all lower 48 on it. A riding buddy who was on a BMW kept bugging me to "go to Engle's" and check out the BMWs. After a few years of visiting and test-riding most of the bikes available I settled on the F800ST and been happy since.

Whichever BMW you ride, Engle is a terrific dealership and gets accolades from lots of folks on this forum.

Good luck.

Wilkommen, Scott, from North Alabama! Glad the light bulb finally illuminated in your noggin... :clap

Bavaria builds something for everyone these days! We have five in our household at the moment + a CRF230L + a KLX250.

Good for U on shopping for a good buy from Chattanooga - that's where we go for service on our newer Beemers...

Guess you need to ponder your intentions for the 2022 MOA Rally next June in SW Missouri... No doubt, we'll be camping in our TimeOut camper pulled by my GT.

Happy Trails on your newest German motorcycle! :thumb

Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

'14 K-GT -- '09 650GS-twin
'75 R90S -- '82 R100CS
- - - - - - - -'16 R1200RS

Welcome, Scott, from the coast of Kansas. Nice story and not unlike a few (myself included) on this forum: I rode for a lifetime on mostly Japanese bikes and had lots of Hondas. A ST1100 was one of the best road bikes built and I put tons of miles and rode in all lower 48 on it. A riding buddy who was on a BMW kept bugging me to "go to Engle's" and check out the BMWs. After a few years of visiting and test-riding most of the bikes available I settled on the F800ST and been happy since.

Whichever BMW you ride, Engle is a terrific dealership and gets accolades from lots of folks on this forum.

Good luck.

I still have my 1994 ST1100 even though it needs a bunch of work (alternator, carbs, shock, forks, etc) because I can't imagine NOT having it. It's given me so many tens of thousands of great miles. My R1200RT is probably the closest thing to the ST1100 that I've found in terms of comfort and sheer mile eating ability.

Welcome to the club. I restarted my riding after the kids were out of the house, you know the drill. Bought an old K1100LT, traded for a R1150RT which I took on a 3500 mile trip the next day and ended up putting about 15000 miles on it before yielding to peer pressure and buying a HD Ultra Limited. After about 20K miles on that I was back with a cherry K1600GT, which is an unbelievable bike. I just got wondering what it would be like to ride an older bike and ended up with a R75/7, which is now parked next the GT! Too many bikes, too little time. Be safe on the highways around KC!

I have over 900,000 BMW miles. My wife Voni has over 1,100,000 MW miles/ We live in far southwest Texas but Engle Motors in Kansas City is still our local dealer. Go see Mike and say "hi'. Tell them Voni sent you.

Welcome scottfischer! Nice combo of bikes you have. Will be interesting to see if the Blackbird eventually gets a greater share of your riding attention. My R1200RT / Honda VFR ride time ratio is about 3/1. Would love to see pics of the bikes.

Back