• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How to change the VIN in the ECU after a frame swap??? R1200ST

So I recently purchased a beautiful 2005 R1200ST after it had been abandoned at a repair shop for a fuel pump repair subsequent to the owner passing away. It proved almost impossible to obtain the title for the original VIN so I was able to purchase a main frame with a clean title and will do a swap in order to title the bike. I understand that the main ECU also has the original VIN encoded so how do I change that without having the ecu from the frame donor and is it even necessary?
Also what do I do about the non matching VIN decal on the rear frame section of the original bike since I have a bill of sale and did all of the required checks through the National Insurance Crime Bureau to verify the bike has not been reported stolen and I did a vehicle history report showing the last title holder matching the information I was provided by the seller. Any help here would be appreciated as I am planning to sell the bike and want to make sure all of my documents are in order. Thanks!

Obtaining a duplicate title from the deceased heirs shouldn’t be a big deal, just have to ask. The local police can run the original numbers and see if it had/where it was last titled. It will also show if there is an unsatisfied lien on the bike. As you roll down the road you are on I would expect a lot of ‘splaining going to go down. All this should be disclosed to your future buyer as you will be selling a motor vehicle with “Keeblered” numbers.
I will be interested in how this all works out.
OM

Back