• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ohio River Ride

217don

We've ridden the Great River Road (Mississippi) several times and thought we might go east along the Ohio for a change starting from New Harmony, Indiana and ending up at Falling Waters (I know that's not on the Ohio). Any experience with the road? Are there scenic spots and good sections for motorcycles? Suggestions on where to ride, eat and stay welcome.

Jim

I live in Ohio, but wasn't aware there was an Ohio River road. All of SE Ohio is fantastic motorcycling though. The Triple Nickel is a famed ride, but I haven't done it. What route(s) are you considering?

Much of it is 4 lane and industry, although some sections do have the river views. Specifically, From Pomeroy Oh north on SR 124. Then again north of Marietta on SR7 but just off and on. Above Wheeling WV it is 4 lane, busy and no river view. Marietta, sits right on the river and has a safe downtown with a small hotel, brewery and museums. One route to avoid congestion and 4 lane in WV going towards Fallingwater is SR7 from New Martinsville east to Morgantown.

I live in Ohio, but wasn't aware there was an Ohio River road. All of SE Ohio is fantastic motorcycling though. The Triple Nickel is a famed ride, but I haven't done it. What route(s) are you considering?

Just intrested in staying along the Ohio River if possible if the route is fun and scenic. Indiana has a a designated Ohio River Byway; was wondering if Ohio did, too.

From the other reply, there does not seem to be a road along the Ohio equivalent to the Great River Road along the Mississippi.

Just intrested in staying along the Ohio River if possible if the route is fun and scenic. Indiana has a a designated Ohio River Byway; was wondering if Ohio did, too.

From the other reply, there does not seem to be a road along the Ohio equivalent to the Great River Road along the Mississippi.

....That would be incorrect. It's VERY similar to GRR of the Mississippi.
Here's your link/website: https://ohioriverscenicbyway.org/

The portion of OH Rt 52 from just east of Cincinnati into Portsmouth is very nice.
Take a detour onto the ferry into Augusta Ky for a meal/visit. Excellent & inexpensive.

Another enjoyable section is from just east of Huntington WV for a long ways into Marietta, as mentioned previously.

I used to live in Ohio. There are some very good motorcycle riding roads in the south east part of the state. There is a website that promotes some of these routes (there is an online form to obtain maps) -

https://www.windy9.com/

....That would be incorrect. It's VERY similar to GRR of the Mississippi.
Here's your link/website: https://ohioriverscenicbyway.org/

The portion of OH Rt 52 from just east of Cincinnati into Portsmouth is very nice.
Take a detour onto the ferry into Augusta Ky for a meal/visit. Excellent & inexpensive.

Another enjoyable section is from just east of Huntington WV for a long ways into Marietta, as mentioned previously.

Thanks.

Back