• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tank Bag Repair

dennypink

DennyPink
My tank bag map cover has been yellowed for years, and now the plastic has ripped. Unfortunately, the 2005 to 2013 RT tank bags, part number 71-60-7-706-363, are no longer available from BMW. The rest of the bag is in good shape, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried a cover repair?
DP

Use the Tag Cloud and look for “Tank Bag Window”. Lots of information.
OM

Thank you 20774, but this thread is about attachment straps, not the map pouch plastic.

I realize that, but I thought you could contact them and see what they could do for you...or give you some other suggestions. :dunno

I realize that, but I thought you could contact them and see what they could do for you...or give you some other suggestions. :dunno

Got Cha! I tried an email to Linda T at "questions@customtankbag.com" but it came back as deliverable, so either a different address now or like the bags themselves NLA. I'll try the next place. Thanks!
DP

Well, there was a phone number there but if the website hasn't been updated since 2016, you gotta wonder!!

Got Cha! I tried an email to Linda T at "questions@customtankbag.com" but it came back as deliverable, so either a different address now or like the bags themselves NLA. I'll try the next place. Thanks!
DP

Linda does not look like a good option any more.
The one guy sent his bag in May 2018 and was still waiting for it in Sep 2019.

Ken said:
Well here it is now September (2019) and Linda did not call and no Tankbag has been returned. I would rather have it back if I could as it was by far my favourite farkle and the OEM price was dear. I shall now be looking for something to replace it but I doubt anything else will be near as convenient.

My Wolfman bag has a map pocket that attaches to the top with Velcro. Sew a little Velcro to the bag top and get a map pocket from Wolfman!

Go to your nearest available marine canvas repair shop as they can replace that plastic pane with a new one very easily. YMMV

Go to your nearest available marine canvas repair shop as they can replace that plastic pane with a new one very easily. YMMV

My otherwise excellent marine canvas shop told me new plastic couldn't be done easily and they declined to take the job. I was surprised by that but eventually "repaired" the cracked/ripped plastic with clear Gorilla tape. I'd guess that adding a separate map holder, Wolfman or RKA, would be a better solution cosmetically and functionally.

To follow up - my talented wife looked at the tank bag and said "I think I can fix that." Here's how she did it:

1) Torn plastic removed with a razor blade.
2) Felt Pad with adhesive backing cut to fit, glued and placed onto the tank bag. Used blue felt to match my bike color.
3) Clear silicone sealant applied to the 4 edges of the felt to water proof the pad to the tank bag.
4) 5 Mils thick sheet protectors attached to the felt with Velcro strips. Let the glue and sealant dry for 24 hours. Good to go!
5) Sheet protectors can be easily removed/replaced if they fad or tear.

DP

Linda does not look like a good option any more.
The one guy sent his bag in May 2018 and was still waiting for it in Sep 2019.

Yeah, never got any more responses or my bag back. This person is no longer an option. My bag was heavily used and needed all new zippers and map plastic replaced but I absolutely loved it.

At the Great falls Rally Annie inquired at the Wolfman vender's stall about tank bag repair. They told her to contact:

Boulder Mountain Repairs

303-499-3634

https://bouldermtnrepair.com

We have not attempted to contact them so cannot comment about them.

Back