• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sturgis Motorsports to the rescue

brownie0486

While on my recent 3 week trip through 5 states, I had the low beam on my 16RS go out in Wyoming. I had the bmw dealer in Sturgis in my contacts in the event I needed something while in that area, so I called them from two days ride to their location. Explained the situation and I'd like to be able to bring the bike in first thing in the morning once in the area.

Natahn Ashworth, parts dept. said to be there on the following Monday at 8:45am, he'd get it in and I'd be back on the road in short order. Monday arrived, I talked with Nathan who took the fob and disappeared for a few minutes. Bike has been wheeled into their service area already. 20 minutes later, low beam is installed, bikes back out front ready to go.

I was directed to another counter and a soft spoken gent said the invoice came to 47.50. 47.50? Wow, I was expecting the bulb to cost that plus 30 minutes or so on the labor portion, somewhere around 150-200.00.

I told Nathan I was on this and a few other BMW motor forums and would throw up an aar on their service and taking care of a member who was a long distance from home on a trip.

If you're in the Sturgis area traveling or will be in their AO and need something worked on/fixed on your motor, I can recommend Sturgis Motorsports to get you back on the road without hesitation.

Still can't believe it was just 47.50 total for fitting me in on short notice and getting me back on the road in 20 minutes time. That's great service in my world.

Sturgis Motorsports
2695 Lazelle St.
Sturgis, SD 57785
1-605-347-2636
email Nathan at parts@sturgismotorsports.net

Just curious, and not trying to be negative... I am very unfamiliar with this model. How difficult is it to change the bulb in your bike yourself?

Ian

While on my recent 3 week trip through 5 states, I had the low beam on my 16RS go out in Wyoming. I had the bmw dealer in Sturgis in my contacts in the event I needed something while in that area, so I called them from two days ride to their location. Explained the situation and I'd like to be able to bring the bike in first thing in the morning once in the area.

Natahn Ashworth, parts dept. said to be there on the following Monday at 8:45am, he'd get it in and I'd be back on the road in short order. Monday arrived, I talked with Nathan who took the fob and disappeared for a few minutes. Bike has been wheeled into their service area already. 20 minutes later, low beam is installed, bikes back out front ready to go.

I was directed to another counter and a soft spoken gent said the invoice came to 47.50. 47.50? Wow, I was expecting the bulb to cost that plus 30 minutes or so on the labor portion, somewhere around 150-200.00.

I told Nathan I was on this and a few other BMW motor forums and would throw up an aar on their service and taking care of a member who was a long distance from home on a trip.

If you're in the Sturgis area traveling or will be in their AO and need something worked on/fixed on your motor, I can recommend Sturgis Motorsports to get you back on the road without hesitation.

Still can't believe it was just 47.50 total for fitting me in on short notice and getting me back on the road in 20 minutes time. That's great service in my world.

Sturgis Motorsports
2695 Lazelle St.
Sturgis, SD 57785
1-605-347-2636
email Nathan at parts@sturgismotorsports.net

Very nice Brownie :thumb

I understand that it is more than just the bulb, it’s the great customer service that that was provided and accommodated. I’m always thankful for someone or someplace to give me a hand when I’m jammed up.
OM

Brownie if you want to know how to change the bulbs look below your instrument cluster and you will see a black round dust cover on the back side of each headlight.
You can unscrew the cover by hand.
If you need more room for your hands you can turn the handle bars and you can also remove the dark grey trim piece that's held in place with two screws.
Here's what the dust covers look like.

20210808_140410.jpg

The dealership probably has a thin teenager, with small and nimble hands, who does simple tasks around the shop (sweeping, empty trash, step and fetch) and changes headlight bulbs.

Thanks Lee, for the pics and how to. Seems easy enough with the pics and description. Good to know I can get the H7's at parts stores across the US also.

Thanks for everyone's input, and nice to hear another member had the same great service from them when they were on the road traveling years ago. They had a bagger and 2 K16's on the floor, 1 GSA, and host of other BMW's I wasn't interested in looking at.

Next question for the members would seem to be------- which H7 55w bulb makers do people prefer, or it doesn't matter?

Thanks

Last edited:
Next question for the members would seem to be------- which H7 55w bulb makers do people prefer, or it doesn't matter?

Thanks

I always go with the basic because they have the longest life.
We rarely ride at night and if we do we have Clearwater auxiliary lights.
Sylvania has several levels of the H7 bulb. As they get brighter the life of the bulb gets shorter.

I mentioned Sylvania because they're inexpensive but any brand H7 will work.

Sturgis Motorsports is my dealer. I've always enjoyed my dealings with them. They are a friendly bunch that will always see that you are taken care of. I'm glad you had a good experience with them. :thumb

Back