• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Shoei Transitions Face Shield

bluehole

Anyone riding with one? I have done some basic research, but I am interested in the experience others on this forum have with Transitions.

I've had a Klim modular (TK1200) with a transition face shield for three years, and frankly I am not a fan. I like to ride with my face shield raised as much as possible. My previous modulars (Shoei and Schuberth) had a separate, tinted shield that could be lowered even when the main face shield was raised. This allowed the open feeling that I like while offering eye protection, something that the transition face shield does not allow. I also find that the transition face shield darkens somewhat even on days that are raining or just overcast, making the day seem even darker than it is. My next helmet will have a separate tinted face shield and will most likely be a Shoei.

My experience with a Transition Face shield on my Klim Krios Pro- about 45,000 miles - leaves me waffling.

I like the fact that it just works when it is bright. I don't ever have to wear dark glasses behind the Transition Shield.

I don't like the way that it is often dark even when it is gloomy and grey outside.
I really don't like that it darkens up when it gets cold, a cold dark night forces one to ride with the shield up.

My previous helmet was a Shoei Neotec with the Internal Sun Visor, I liked the flexibility of that helmet but I really liked the lightweight of the Krios Pro.
I thought the Transition Shield would be a good compromise - ehhhh!

The Krios came with a Clear Shield as well, on my next trip, I think I'm going to use it with clip-on sun glasses.

Thanks guys. A common complaint is that Transitions does not lighten properly, especially as it ages. I am currently wearing a Shoei RF-1100 and, if I get the Transitions, will mate it with an RF-1200. Interesting how some people like the face shield and others are not at all impressed.

While I haven't seen nor used a transitions face shield, I have transitions glasses. While I like the plus of my glasses turning into prescription sunglasses when I go from inside to outside, the reverse is not as wonderful. For better or worse, it can take several minutes for the lenses to revert back from dark to light. Consequently, things look real dark for a few minutes when going from bright outside to indoor while the lenses transition back to light. This is not a big deal while walking around and the several minutes it take to transition back is acceptable, but I would not want that on the face shield of my helmet.

FYI, I just purchased a Shoei Neotec II helmet and has the darker shield that can be raised or lowered quickly. I think this is a better solution.

Had one on my just replaced RF1200 and liked it a lot .. until it quit working and simply became a clear shield. Apparently they have a finite number of "cycles" and I reached that number. I also often ride with the visor open and actually found it to be beneficial in that regard as well, since it performed as a bit of a visor to the sun when open. To be fair, I got 3-4 years out of it, but was still disappointed that it quit transitioning to dark (they aren't cheap).

Joined the herd and switched to a Neotech 2 on my "time related" helmet replacement and have been happy with the retractable sun visor too. Not 100% bought in on the 5 year helmet shelf life timeline, but it was a nice excuse to try a modular after decades of traditional full face helmets.

I am coming off a Shoei RF-1100 so I thought the RF-1200 was a real step up. I have never felt the need or desire for the NeotechII, but it seems like that is what everyone is buying. In any case, I pulled the trigger on the Transitions. I am going into to it eyes wide open. I understand the slow dark-light tint change and the limited cycles. I will follow up after I have used the Transitions for a while.

FWIW, I thought I would give an update on the Transitions visor. Initially, I did not think the tint was dark enough. After comparing the Transitions to my previous tinted visor I realize that is not so. The Transitions visor is plenty dark. I think I was fooled by the fact the change from light to dark is not instantaneous as when you pull down a tinted face shield. That being said the change from light to dark is quick...in seconds. I find it is clear at night. No problem there. I have yet to ride on a cloudy day or in cold temperatures so I cannot comment on the problems bigjohnsd mentioned. Transitions is a different color tint (see picture below) and the optics are very good.

One thing I did not anticipate is that the Transitions visor does not want to shed water the way my old visor does. The visor on the RF-1200 is much thicker than the visor on my RF-1100. I do not know if the difference has to do with the change in face shield construction or properties in the Transitions visor. On the previous face shield and application of Plexus would insure water/ moisture would beaded up and roll right of the face shield. This is not happening on the Transitions visor. After riding through some fog and mist the other morning, droplets just stayed in place. Wiping my face shield periodically is not a big deal, but it was nice to have to water roll off as I was riding. I may experiment with the stock visor that came with the RF-1200 and see if water beads up better on that face shield. This picture shows the moisture remaining on the visor. This after some time riding in sunny conditions.
PXL_20210821_115408598 Mist on Transitions Visor1.jpg

For comparison purposes, a picture of three visors. Left: RF-1100 Clear. Center: RF-1200 Transitions in sun. Right: RF-1100 Tint.
PXL_20210823_134605645 Visor Comparison1.jpg

Last edited:
I've had a Klim modular (TK1200) with a transition face shield for three years, and frankly I am not a fan. I like to ride with my face shield raised as much as possible. My previous modulars (Shoei and Schuberth) had a separate, tinted shield that could be lowered even when the main face shield was raised. This allowed the open feeling that I like while offering eye protection, something that the transition face shield does not allow. I also find that the transition face shield darkens somewhat even on days that are raining or just overcast, making the day seem even darker than it is. My next helmet will have a separate tinted face shield and will most likely be a Shoei.

I too had the Klim Modular with Transitions shield. Mine would turn very dark at the most inappropriate times to where I had to ride w/o shield - there was no rhyme or reason.. Rainclouds would really fake it out. I'd go clear traditional shield - that's what is on my newest, a Shoei Neotek II.

Back