• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sargent saddle for the '21 XR?

pneumadeux

Hey everyone,

New member here; new owner of a gorgeous 2021 S1000XR.

Bought 'er on my burfday (June 19) and she's already got 1100 miles on the ticker.

I have a 1400+ miler coming up in October (and I'm attending the Pineville KY BMW Getaway next month) and I'm looking to upgrade the stock saddle.

I've called Corbin and...well... they don't make it yet. They were my first choice simply based on aesthetics! And I do like the fact that they feature a simple hideaway button under the seat.

Sargent has you send in your saddle, they refurbish it and send it back. (The heat control on the bars looks a little fugly...)

I have a Sargent on my Ducati and it's been lovely...

I wanted to see if anyone out there has gone with the newer Sargents, especially with the heated option.

What do you think???

Sam

The new Sargent arrives on the 15th...

Which is amazing because I packed up and shipped my OEM saddle to them on the 11th.

Wicked quick.

Now, I need help getting the fairings off so I can route the heating controller wires...

I posted about that, elsewhere.

Fingers crossed.

(No one wants to snap the plastic...)

Sargent Saddle Update

so how is it, any more for and aft movement than the stock ?

It's been an interesting - and ongoing - experience.

Saddle arrived.

Saddle sported no wiring leads at all, and there was no wiring in the box. (I ordered the heated version.)

Sargent promptly sent me a FedEx return code, but... I did get ONE ride in on the heat-less seat before I sent it in.

Notes:

• The front feels SLIGHTLY narrower, and the rear SLIGHTLY wider, both good things
  • The padding is firmer, also a good thing
  • The build construction is, frankly, gorgeous
  • The fore-aft is nearly identical to stock, maybe a half-centimeter or so longer
  • Best thing is, I notice stock to angle down towards to tank; the Sargent is more level

I'll post some photos after they send the completed heated version to me.

Meanwhile anyone know how to remove the fairings on the 2021???

Curious to hear once you’ve put some miles on the Sargent. I’m considering going to a 2nd Gen XR from my 2020 1250GSA. I’ve got a bug for 150+ hp in a comfortable, upright sportbike. Been on BMW’s for a long time and have owned a number of GS’s. One thing for sure, it will have to get a seat, I don’t like the curve that limits the ability to move around on the seat while riding. I’ve been a long time Corbin guy, have had them for years. I’ve also had a Sargent or two over the years and find them to be fine seats, as well. I just prefer the very firm foam used with the Corbin. Both the Corbin and Sargent appear to have a better flat platform and wider at the back of the driver seat. The Corbin looks like it has an extended backward driver seat. Better for me because I’m tall and don’t ride with a pillion.

Like to hear from Gen 2 owners who have a Corbin seat.

Comfort Plus 3/4" Memory Foam

I took my seat to Diana's (https://diannasshop.com/) because I live 30 minutes away. I wanted more comfort than the OEM comfort seat. At her suggestion, she removed the OEM cover, added 3/4" of memory foam, and reinstalled the OEM cover. I road it in/around Western North Carolina for a couple of months and then did 7,000 on it going to Great Falls, MT, and back. The memory foam helped a lot, I'd say I'm 90% happy with the comfort at this point, but the shape still seems to slide me forward; I'm still working/thinking about how to fix that.

1400+ miles on the new heated Sargent

Here's my long-haul take on the new Sargent. (Short version — Great improvement over stock. Comfortable, firm, flatter but not really longer.)

• Comfort — Much improved over the stock seat. Firmer, flatter, slightly wider at the rear
  • Ergonomics — Thanks to not tipping you towards the tank, the position is much more neutral. However, like with the stock seat, I wished I could slide back just a bit more. Since Sargent requires you to send in your existing seat pan, there's only so much they can do. That said, I feel like I am able to move back just a tiny bit more than stock.
  • Quality — It's very well constructed. Atractive too. The silver piping melds beautifully with my ice grey bike's color, and the tricolor Sargent badge works with the M spec of the bike. The heating element is just a godsend. Even though I brought my FirstGear heated pants and jacket for the upper 40s wet-weather mountain days of Pennsylvania, the added "oomph" of the heated seat made the miles that much more effortless.

Curious to hear once you’ve put some miles on the Sargent. I’m considering going to a 2nd Gen XR from my 2020 1250GSA. I’ve got a bug for 150+ hp in a comfortable, upright sportbike. Been on BMW’s for a long time and have owned a number of GS’s. One thing for sure, it will have to get a seat, I don’t like the curve that limits the ability to move around on the seat while riding. I’ve been a long time Corbin guy, have had them for years. I’ve also had a Sargent or two over the years and find them to be fine seats, as well. I just prefer the very firm foam used with the Corbin. Both the Corbin and Sargent appear to have a better flat platform and wider at the back of the driver seat. The Corbin looks like it has an extended backward driver seat. Better for me because I’m tall and don’t ride with a pillion.

Like to hear from Gen 2 owners who have a Corbin seat.

Back