• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Finally made the switch to a 1200 GSA

HippyGSrider

After buying my first BMW (2013 800GS) a year and a half ago, because I was convinced I wanted to do a lot of technical off road adventure riding, I realized that I was no longer in my teens and, while fun, riding technical off road tracks on a two day camping trip, was exhausting, stressful and I found my 53 year old self thinking about what would break on both myself and the bike, if I went down. Upon my return home, I immediately began shopping for a 1200GS and last week I purchased a 2014 GSA to ride tarmac, fire roads, etc.

I had tried a 2009 GS two years ago and the engine had a smooth, sewing machine like sound. I must say, I was surprised at the much noisier 2014 engine. The more I rode in different situations, I would hear different noises. Concerned, I did a Google search, came across some threads and my worries were put to rest, as every noise I was concerned about seem to be commonplace.

The technical knowledge, along with the quick witted sarcasm, of the BMW riding community is awesome.
I must say that I love the power and handling of the GSA and the fact that it is actually comfortable enough for my wife to want to ride pillion. is a bonus and will allow for more time on two wheels.

I had tried a 2009 GS two years ago and the engine had a smooth, sewing machine like sound. I must say, I was surprised at the much noisier 2014 engine. The more I rode in different situations, I would hear different noises.

I agree with you. I tested the new LC GS when they first came out and I thought the engine sounded like a rock crusher compared to the oilheads. imo, they have not improved all that much.

JonBeck_R1200GSLC-X2.png

The last of the oilheads, 2011-13, were some of the sweetest-running BMWs ever.

Ian

AN8E2471-X4.jpg

Last edited:
The oilheads are smooth; however, the wet clutch and not having to split the bike in half to service it, is a game changer.

Last edited:
Back