• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2021 RT Navigation

Sorry I don't know why anyone would take a phone call while riding, sounds dangerous to me. But then I ride for fun

No different that taking a phone call in your car.

I don't concern myself with phone use on my motorcycle, but once in a while it comes in handy. We just went on vacation and it was nice to communicate with the other rider with cell phones. Other than that I usually ignore calls while riding.

The key is "When you have service" Don't you guys ride where is no cell service? I am with Paul on this. I would use a add on GPS.

Heck, I don't even use my Nav VI much as I don't like the screen where spell out the city names. Sucks going back and forth between sections of the alphabet.

FYI, not sure if you're aware of it, but you can change how the alphabet is displayed to the more classic 'querty' type option .
It's on the setup menu.

I was the same as you .. just bought the bike (2019 RT & Nav6) and busy muttering the alphabet under my breath and other words at who was the idiot that thought using this format was a good idea.
And just to make it worse, I found the Garmin screen colour and layout just hard enough to read that I'd need to get my reading glasses out to see the screen and select the character I needed.

I found after I'd changed it, I didn't need my glasses either .. the white character on the black background and big enough and had enough contrast that I could read it satisfactorily.

john

The key is "When you have service" Don't you guys ride where is no cell service? I am with Paul on this. I would use a add on GPS.

Heck, I don't even use my Nav VI much as I don't like the screen where spell out the city names. Sucks going back and forth between sections of the alphabet.

FYI, not sure if you're aware of it, but you can change how the alphabet is displayed to the more classic 'querty' type option .
It's on the setup menu.

I was the same as you .. just bought the bike (2019 RT & Nav6) and busy muttering the alphabet under my breath and other words at who was the idiot that thought using this format was a good idea.
And just to make it worse, I found the Garmin screen colour and layout just hard enough to read that I'd need to get my reading glasses out to see the screen and select the character I needed.

I found after I'd changed it, I didn't need my glasses either .. the white character on the black background and big enough and had enough contrast that I could read it satisfactorily.

john
How did you change the setting?

How did you change the setting?

For my similar Zumo 595, I toggle the keyboard display by tapping the globe icon on the keyboard.

EDIT: I forgot, you need to select multiple keyboards to use the "globe" switch.

Tap Settings, Language & Keyboard, Keyboard language. Check American English QWERTY for all the letters on one page, Large Buttons for the two page version, both if you want to be able to toggle the choice from the keyboard.

For my similar Zumo 595, I toggle the keyboard display by tapping the globe icon on the keyboard.

EDIT: I forgot, you need to select multiple keyboards to use the "globe" switch.

Tap Settings, Language & Keyboard, Keyboard language. Check American English QWERTY for all the letters on one page, Large Buttons for the two page version, both if you want to be able to toggle the choice from the keyboard.
Thanks

To be clear, the phone-based navigation does NOT rely on a cell signal. It uses the phone’s GPS to navigate. You do not need any cell service and there is no data usage. All you need is WiFi to download the maps you will use.

Allow me to clarify. I'm getting live traffic on my TFT so it pulls some data for that but if you only wanted maps, I'm sure you can go without cell service.

I got the software update. Haven’t tried pairing yet due to lack of time. HOWEVER: I wanted to turn on my heated grips and seat on the way home. Previously I could simply press one of the four preset buttons by my left knee and it would bring up the heat options. After the update, that shortcut button no longer functions so I have to scroll through all the TFT settings menu to adjust those items. A step back.

I will work on the phone pairing when it warms up a bit.

I got the software update. Haven’t tried pairing yet due to lack of time. HOWEVER: I wanted to turn on my heated grips and seat on the way home. Previously I could simply press one of the four preset buttons by my left knee and it would bring up the heat options. After the update, that shortcut button no longer functions so I have to scroll through all the TFT settings menu to adjust those items. A step back.

I will work on the phone pairing when it warms up a bit.

Was the button for heated grips and seat a factory preset or did you or your deal make that choice? If the later sounds like the update went back to factory settings.

Good luck with the update helping your other issues

Was the button for heated grips and seat a factory preset or did you or your deal make that choice? If the later sounds like the update went back to factory settings.

Good luck with the update helping your other issues

The one-button shortcut is listed in the owners manual and makes sense, but the update erased the function. It wasn’t a dealer-installed feature. I believe the other three buttons are reserved for radio functions should you decide to install one when available. At least that’s my guess since they don’t serve any other purpose.

I believe the update allows you to program the 4 buttons so you can assign heating function to one of them.

Thinking you might be correct, I checked the owner's manual. Those four buttons are pre-set and cannot be changed. Button #2 is for heated grips/seat. Button #4 for "navigation," whatever that means. I guess it takes you right to the map page if/when you have a connection to the phone-based maps. The others are for media and I guess will never be used since I don't intend to install a radio.

If anyone else has had the TFT software updated, please let me know if you experienced the same issue.

Thinking you might be correct, I checked the owner's manual. Those four buttons are pre-set and cannot be changed. Button #2 is for heated grips/seat. Button #4 for "navigation," whatever that means. I guess it takes you right to the map page if/when you have a connection to the phone-based maps. The others are for media and I guess will never be used since I don't intend to install a radio.

I’d expect that programming the buttons, if possible, would require either a GS-911 or a connection to the dealer’s service computer, along with a tech who is aware the feature exists and knows how to program it. If that capability has been added via the update it would supersede the info in the manual…

Best,
DeVern

The 012.007.030 update added the ability to program the buttons the way you like. It is done through the TFT menu.

The 012.007.030 update added the ability to program the buttons the way you like. It is done through the TFT menu.

Thanks. I will take a look. Should be self explanatory. Wish the dealer had said something, but they don’t seem too well informed about the software.

Back