• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2021 RT Navigation

You do know you can change the input screen on your Nav6 where the entire alphabet is on the screen? Smaller "buttons", but.....

I forgot this was a option. Thanks.
I just now changed my display on the Nav V to the full alphabet.

As mentioned before you DO NOT need cell service for the 2021 TFT to navigate. You download the maps to your phone and use as needed.

Well, I got the updated app. Unfortunately not completely rectified behavior, improvement but not there yet. I'm still not convinced it's my phone, its a company issue and has every bloody security device cept a bear trap attached to it, bloody inconvenient bit of kit to use because of which. After phone call the map still will not return, but turn by turn written instruction is there and works well.

I'm certain if BMW is dedicated to working out the bugs, the app will prove useful. I can get by with it.

That’s why I bought a used iPhone X stripped everything off of it I could, does not have a SIM, minimized inputs and just use it for the TFT. The only things I loaded on it were the BMW app and Spotify. My main phone also has job security programs on it and I don’t want the work programs interfering with my TFT.

As mentioned before you DO NOT need cell service for the 2021 TFT to navigate. You download the maps to your phone and use as needed.

So another needless step?
What if I decide to change my route and I haven't downloaded the map I need to go in a different direction and I have no cell service? How much memory do these maps take? My cell is a bit short on memory already. I suppose I could delete my music files.

Seems so much simpler to just even deal with it and toss on my other Garmin.

That’s why I bought a used iPhone X stripped everything off of it I could, does not have a SIM, minimized inputs and just use it for the TFT. The only things I loaded on it were the BMW app and Spotify. My main phone also has job security programs on it and I don’t want the work programs interfering with my TFT.

Have you had any issues Or is it working fairly well?

So another needless step?
What if I decide to change my route and I haven't downloaded the map I need to go in a different direction and I have no cell service? How much memory do these maps take? My cell is a bit short on memory already. I suppose I could delete my music files.

Seems so much simpler to just even deal with it and toss on my other Garmin.

You can download the entire North American map set in one shot, I dont have my phone here or Id look up the storage requirements for you.

Your solution sounds simple, use the gps for nav, phone for music and calls.

Having read the full thread here, I'm happy to stay with my Nav4. I don't have issues with plugging in addy's as some take issue with, takes but a minute to navigate the buttons and enter an addy.

Stand alone Nav for me, I don't leave my phone on while riding as I don't need it for music [ mp3 connected to headset ] and I check "my radar" before heading out, and at times will check it again at some stop I've made while I check for voicemails/texts and any necessary responses/calls back.

I'm no techno wiz, simple works best for me

Having to use a phone for navigation is why I will not buy another RT.

I felt the same way but with over 108K miles on my 2018RT I ordered a 2021RT. I plan on using my NAV VI for navigation on trips like I always do using the NAV VI car mount device. I think BMW rushed into this new system and will pay for it by loosing sales of RTs. By the way I'm on my second replacement NAV VI , the turn around time is quick but this manufacturing issue should have never happened with Garmin's years in the business.

No one cursed at the BMW connected app more than me when I started using it. I complained to BMW more than once. It is definitely working better and I have to think its the update. To the poster who asked how much memory is used North America is 14.34 GB. You have the option of most of the world. I downloaded all of NA but you can do it by state. For me the TFT is meeting my needs (I’ve had Nav 4-6 and still use 6 on my other bikes). The only time I ever used my Nav or the TFT to plan a route is when I ride without a destination and want to return home, I just have it navigate me home. I do all of my route planning on my computer using BaseCamp (which I’ve used from the beginning and it works well for me) and then transfer to the 6 or TFT. Bottom line whatever works for you is what you should use.

This is a good feature. I need to just stop, get out the phone, and look at the My Radar app.

But now that I have discovered by some research (I intended to argue with a post I read until I discovered I was wrong) that my iPhone 11 is water proof I may just mount it on the other handlebar and have the Radar available at a glance (when I have cell phone coverage). As much as I gripe about poorly executed technology works in progress, I really do appreciate a lot of techno things like fuel injection, anti-lock brakes, tubeless tires, and my Apple iPhone. :)
I do the same with my Samsung S20+ 5G. The mount I use is Rokform and it is hands down, the best mount for a motorcyle I have ever used.

https://www.rokform.com/

The case for the phone contains the part that connects to the mount itself. It is 100% secure and very easy to attach and remove. And it has a really low footprint on the bars when the phone is not attached.

rokform.jpg

I dont think bmw will loose any rt sales, the bikes too damm good. The app will get sorted over time, its a great concept, I just hope it does not get abandoned. Ive spoken to a couple folks who've had no problems so theres that.

I do basecamp routing and it works well, I just email the .gpx file to my phone, save the file and upload, slick.

So Paul are you saying the Iphone 11 is or is not waterproof?

I dont think bmw will loose any rt sales, the bikes too damm good. The app will get sorted over time, its a great concept, I just hope it does not get abandoned. Ive spoken to a couple folks who've had no problems so theres that.

I do basecamp routing and it works well, I just email the .gpx file to my phone, save the file and upload, slick.

I thought the new iPhone were waterproof. I know my my Galaxy S20 is because I've accidentally dropped in our koi pond. The big issue after was getting the USB-C port dry so the phone would turn it back on.

I read a post comment that it was and didn't believe it and was prepared to argue, but then decided I should look it up. And lo and behold, it is waterproof. That opens new possibilities. I can use my Garmin for Nav and my phone for radar and live happily ever after, or at least for a while.

I'm not married to a phone in my personal life and damn if I will be on my bike.

How are you going to get the most recent, most important picture of someone’s breakfast? These really can’t wait dontcha know. ;)

OM

I read a post comment that it was and didn't believe it and was prepared to argue, but then decided I should look it up. And lo and behold, it is waterproof. That opens new possibilities. I can use my Garmin for Nav and my phone for radar and live happily ever after, or at least for a while.

Do more research. I've seen post where some people had problems with newer Iphones caused by road vibrations.
I think it's the camera that gets screwed up.

Will the Garmin Smart Phone app work with your Zumo 660 to show weather radar?

Back