• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2021 RT Navigation

He is a riding bud I don't see that often. I got to see this setup in Great Falls, all of my club stayed at the same hotel while attending the Rally. As for the mount I've not seen a motorcycle mount that didn't have buttons. I'm not sure if the Wonderwheel works the NAV 6 like on my 14R1200RT. I can say it looked good, much better then a ram mount would of been. I don't know the name of the mount but with some research I'm sure it would be easy to find, I wouldn't be surprised it they got it from the local BMW dealer. If you like please give me a list of questions so I only have to ask once, he was kind to send me the photo.

It is the physical attachment to the motorcycle that I am interested in.
I can find the cradle with buttons, but how did your bud fasten the cradle to the motorcycle?

"
I am sure the Wonder Wheel will not work on Nav VI on the 2021 RT with TFT.

If I am wrong, I would be pleased to hear that.

You may be right.
The Wonder Wheel works on the other models with the smaller TFT, but those bikes are setup to use a stand alone GPS.

It is the physical attachment to the motorcycle that I am interested in.
I can find the cradle with buttons, but how did your bud fasten the cradle to the motorcycle?

The following is the response I got from my friend. As I wrote earlier I was afraid the dealership sold and installed the mounting. If you like you can reach out to the dealership https://www.bmwmotorcyclesdallas.com/

The wonder wheel works the TFT screen, not the nav 6. The metal accessories plate is available at the Plano Bmw store.
It’s complicated as for the TFT screen all the info is in your Mobil phone and BMW connects app.

But it is worse than buying a decent stand alone GPS for a few hundred dollars - mine is a Garmin 660 - which has never failed in any respect whatsoever. You don't always get what you pay for.

So, how does the Wonderwheel work with your Garmin??

I find it interesting that there is no discussion of the 2021 RT navigation....
I find it a large step backward that the integrated mount, with wonder wheel linkage, for the Navigator has been deleted.
BMW expects me to want to use only my phone for navigation?
I do not know about other riders, but I am often out of cell phone service.

I am interested in seeing comments from others.

I have my 2020 with a now newly acquired Nav VI. (Retired my dependable Nav IV. Put it on my F800GT with an easily installed OEM mount.) The combo of 2020 TFT and provided in-dash hook up for the NAV VI is IMO the ideal setup. The Nav VI has a ton of great features. It provides anything from Diagnostic info to altimeter. Great maps, autozoom, etc. all integrated nicely into the dash and worked effortlessly from the wonderwheel. I added the Wunderlich central-locking-activated lock system for the Nav in-dash mount and really couldn't be happier.

Since I also just bought a new 21 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour, I have a good way of comparing Honda's brand-new Digital Display with its very nice central display and built-in Navigation System with Apple and Android car play. BUT, talk about CLUMSY!! You have to take your hands of the grip to find buttons on the center of the fuel tank which need to be turned or pushed in a certain sequence to make any input into the system, half of which does not work while in motion, half of it does. all this while you are doing 80mph!! NO WONDERWHEEL HERE!! OR TOUCHSCREEN!! GREAT FOR SAFETY ON THE ROAD!

We really don't know how good the "old" ( I mean prior to 2021) BMW system was (in my case, still is) until you try some of these other abominations.

Now, I agree with OP that the new 2021 TFT (even though beautiful to look at) should have built in navigation and not depend on some proprietary mobile phone app which BMW can at will change under the guise of some upgrade. Maybe even find a way to charge for at some future time?

YMMV

Last edited:
I shall simply continue to attach a free-standing GPS to my handlebars or dash as I have since 1999. Where I live cell service is absent. Downloading maps is clumsy. Phones are not water proof. I don't need to play that exasperating game and neither does anybody else, whether it is BMW's plan or not. What sometimes may work in a car in an urban area is stupid on a motorcycle in the great vastness of the American West.

Also posted this on the sport touring forum, entitled, “There may be hope”.

Just took an almost 400 mile trip to get my TPMS installed and when I turned on my bike specific phone to enable navigation it stated that it (the connected app) had been updated. The WiFi connected almost immediately and it never lost the connection, something that has NEVER happened in the past. I couldn’t try with music going as I had forgotten to charge my headset and it died shortly after starting my return trip. Don’t know if this was the update BMW was talking about but I had no issues for the first time using the app.

A guy with a 2020 gave several of us a tour of his navigation system (BMW Stock) on his RT. I gotta tell you I (and all the rest watching) prefer the Nav6 method better. He had numerous gotta's with the system and none of them on my Nav. Yes I agree we all have smart phones, but requiring me to hook it up, nope not this guy and I don't take phone calls on my rides either. Thats why I have voice mail.

A guy with a 2020 gave several of us a tour of his navigation system (BMW Stock) on his RT. I gotta tell you I (and all the rest watching) prefer the Nav6 method better. He had numerous gotta's with the system and none of them on my Nav. Yes I agree we all have smart phones, but requiring me to hook it up, nope not this guy and I don't take phone calls on my rides either. Thats why I have voice mail.

Good point. BUT the Nav VI and the factory BMW audio system do allow for phone calls (as they have always done back to the Nav IV), music from any source, navigation voice guidance as well as on board communication. Most helmet Bluetooth systems now also provide communication with your pillion and simultaneously additional riders in a group up to several miles away (eliminating the need for the old CBs). Ever since the advent of Bluetooth level 5 multiple connections can be established with one Bluetooth device.

With the advent of Apple and Android car play you can now even have your all important texts, twitters and Emails read to you in your helmet, all without taking your eyes off the road. Now, whether that is part of the enjoyment of our sport is a different discussion;)

With the advent of Apple and Android car play you can now even have your all important texts, twitters and Emails read to you in your helmet, all without taking your eyes off the road. Now, whether that is part of the enjoyment of our sport is a different discussion;)

I would rather just sit at home on my old rocking horse.

I shall simply continue to attach a free-standing GPS to my handlebars or dash as I have since 1999. Where I live cell service is absent. Downloading maps is clumsy. Phones are not water proof. I don't need to play that exasperating game and neither does anybody else, whether it is BMW's plan or not. What sometimes may work in a car in an urban area is stupid on a motorcycle in the great vastness of the American West.

I get it, but the maps auto-update when you have cell service or wifi like at night at home or in the hotel. No different that the Garmin, maps are updated roughly quarterly. Also, most modern phones are waterproof.

The key is "When you have service" Don't you guys ride where is no cell service? I am with Paul on this. I would use a add on GPS.

Heck, I don't even use my Nav VI much as I don't like the screen where spell out the city names. Sucks going back and forth between sections of the alphabet. Plus I still haven't grasped why I need to link my Nav VI to my phone. I have tried it. Eh, no big deal. My add on $159 Garmin is easier to use and I use it when I do serious travel.

I bought a new Ram pickup and it has a similar set up. No GPS, just connect my phone and the screen on the dash and phone talk and the GPS shows up on the dash screen. I am still undecided on it. We are planning a couple trips later this year and my cheap Garmin is coming with, just in case.

I get it, but the maps auto-update when you have cell service or wifi like at night at home or in the hotel. No different that the Garmin, maps are updated roughly quarterly. Also, most modern phones are waterproof.

So the new method works almost as well sometimes, compared to the old method. Progress???

I started with this-

moose_racing_side_load_route_sheet_holder_750x750.jpg

and moved a map pouch version. I (around these parts) don't feel I have much extra time to deal with electronic confuzzlements without ending up as road kill. Perhaps out west where there is more wide open spaces :dunno
OM

The key is "When you have service" Don't you guys ride where is no cell service? I am with Paul on this. I would use a add on GPS.

Heck, I don't even use my Nav VI much as I don't like the screen where spell out the city names. Sucks going back and forth between sections of the alphabet. Plus I still haven't grasped why I need to link my Nav VI to my phone. I have tried it. Eh, no big deal. My add on $159 Garmin is easier to use and I use it when I do serious travel.

I bought a new Ram pickup and it has a similar set up. No GPS, just connect my phone and the screen on the dash and phone talk and the GPS shows up on the dash screen. I am still undecided on it. We are planning a couple trips later this year and my cheap Garmin is coming with, just in case.

You do know you can change the input screen on your Nav6 where the entire alphabet is on the screen? Smaller "buttons", but.....

You do know you can change the input screen on your Nav6 where the entire alphabet is on the screen? Smaller "buttons", but.....

No chit? I looked all through the settings and never saw anything like that. I will look again. I probably won't like it 'cuz the buttons are too small!:rofl

My cheap Garmin I like has a much larger screen. One other reason i like it better.

Reading a thread like this makes me glad I got an '18 RT, and a Nav. VI that works flawlessly. The new RTs are definitely a work in progress.

E.

The only time I care about my phone being connected to my Nav V is when I want to see weather radar on the Nav screen.

This is a good feature. I need to just stop, get out the phone, and look at the My Radar app.

But now that I have discovered by some research (I intended to argue with a post I read until I discovered I was wrong) that my iPhone 11 is water proof I may just mount it on the other handlebar and have the Radar available at a glance (when I have cell phone coverage). As much as I gripe about poorly executed technology works in progress, I really do appreciate a lot of techno things like fuel injection, anti-lock brakes, tubeless tires, and my Apple iPhone. :)

Back