• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pre-Sturgis Black Hills BMW Riders Coffee - last ride before the "Rally" starts :(

bigjohnsd

'21 R1250 GS Adv
Pre-Sturgis Black Hills BMW Riders Coffee - last ride before the "Rally" starts :(

I took the long way to coffee, down Spearfish Canyon, 385 South to Nemo Road, had an HD Roadglyde do a pretty good job keeping up on the Nemo Road, he would drop back in the tighter turns then run as fast as he could on the straights to keep up. After Nemo, I got stuck behind a "train" of bandits riding about 10 mph below the speed limit and slowing further for the turns. I worked through them three or four at a time but as I got to the front they turned left and I went right on the Norris Peak Road. Norris Peak Road was clear and a fun ride to Johnson Siding.

We actually had eight BMW riders at the Black Hills BMW Riders coffee this morning, a "post-pandemic?" record.

After coffee, I rode a gravel odyssey North from Rapid City to Sturgis, I wanted to check out the Rally preparations and see how full the Buffalo Chip is. Rally vendors are pretty much set up, Buffalo Chip - about 1/3 full.
Can you imagine camping at the "Chip" with 20,000 of your closest friends?
[YT]https://youtu.be/z3R6KxbVEnE[/YT]

I'll ride again tomorrow - the Devils Tower Loop to get the 60K on my bike so I can do the needed service, after that no more riding until the "Pirates" have gone home.

They are projecting a record attendance at Sturgis this year - ~1,000,000+ attendees.

We are leaving town for the Bighorns on Saturday!

I took the long way to coffee, down Spearfish Canyon, 385 South to Nemo Road, had an HD Roadglyde do a pretty good job keeping up on the Nemo Road, he would drop back in the tighter turns then run as fast as he could on the straights to keep up. After Nemo, I got stuck behind a "train" of bandits riding about 10 mph below the speed limit and slowing further for the turns. I worked through them three or four at a time but as I got to the front they turned left and I went right on the Norris Peak Road. Norris Peak Road was clear and a fun ride to Johnson Siding.

We actually had eight BMW riders at the Black Hills BMW Riders coffee this morning, a "post-pandemic?" record.

After coffee, I rode a gravel odyssey North from Rapid City to Sturgis, I wanted to check out the Rally preparations and see how full the Buffalo Chip is. Rally vendors are pretty much set up, Buffalo Chip - about 1/3 full.
Can you imagine camping at the "Chip" with 20,000 of your closest friends?

I'll ride again tomorrow - the Devils Tower Loop to get the 60K on my bike so I can do the needed service, after that no more riding until the "Pirates" have gone home.

They are projecting a record attendance at Sturgis this year - ~1,000,000+ attendees.

We are leaving town for the Bighorns on Saturday!

Everyone has their thing.
OM

Everyone has their thing.
OM

:ha

I was up there (in Custer) a couple weeks ago, took several really nice rides. That place is great when it is not full of slow cruisers.

Went up and back on Spearfish Canyon, didn't have to pass toooooooooo much on the mustard line.

Took US85 to Newcastle, WY.... a first time on that road for me.... zero traffic, wish I were on a big K bike. :burnout

Pic below is in Custer State Park, I think SD 87, the one that goes through all the cool rock formations.

1E365D54-1BC1-40EA-84F7-03D39CB3D670-X2.jpg

Back