• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tyre lifetimes/mileages

pmariana

Good morning all,

Aside from oil chemistry, another thing that I really like are tyres. Kind of related I guess.

I’ve been coming up to the end of the original tyres that I got on this 2019 GSA which were the Michelin Anakee Adventures. A bit of research on various adventure bike and Michelin websites showed that a lot of people were finding they were wearing out after, for you Americans, 4 000 to 5 000 miles maybe 6 000 miles. It seems that the way you ride has a significant impact on how the tyres last – that makes a lot of sense of course.

On my 2019 GSA which came with the original Michelin Anakee Adventure tyres, I now note at this point in time that I have just over 16,000 km on them, which for you Southerners is a little over 10,000 miles. Given a few measurements across their circumference, I estimate I should probably most probably have around another 4000 km to go, maybe 5k at a pinch down to the fabric.

I have now purchased a pair of Michelin Anakee Wild tyres as I believe they will suit what I want to do better, and I noted from many people making comments on the same various websites, that they were lasting around 3 to 5000 miles, so although their rubber will undoubtedly be a little softer, I suspect that again, given perhaps the fact that I must be a real old-man rider, I’ll get a bit more mileage out of them than that.

It has occurred to me further, that rubber will be taken off the surface of a tyre more aggressively when the tyre, under more and more acceleration or deceleration, is essentially squirming more, longitudinally, on the road surface - more force being pushed through the tyre through its surface onto the road - that’s where the abrasion will remove more of the rubber. So a person who accelerates more slowly to 100 km/h will possibly remove less rubber than a person who accelerates quickly up to 100 km/h - similarly - rapid aggressive cornering will do the same.

Anyway just some thoughts for folks while they’re on the road, how very significantly an individual rider’s mileage on tyres will vary, given their style of riding. One had to be thoughtful about reading other peoples reviews regarding mileages, at least when it comes to potential lifetime durability of the tyre. If you know from past tyre generations that you had generally less or more mileage as a trend, then that will probably play out similarly for you, through the new tyres that you may buy, despite estimations by other riders.

Now, I’m not one of those people who wants extreme lifetimes out of their tyres, that often translates into a harder rubber and less stickiness, and I suspect that most of us here value grip more than anything else. Aside from considerations like silica and so on. But it is interesting to note how much of a difference riding style can make. I was really surprised here - I did not expect that mileages would vary so much, despite that old quote that we all know.

:)

You Might Try the "Wetheads" Forum

Hi Peter,

Just a friendly tip from another liquid cooled boxer owner (among other models). For answers to questions specific to your 2019 GSA, you might try posting those in the "Wetheads" forum section where current generation liquid cooled 1200/1250 boxer riders post a lot more for your type bike. For instance, tires for a GSA, even questions about TPMS and controlling accessory voltage. There are different electronic controllers for different models, and different years. Some of the answers you are receiving here may be misleading and quite different than expected from a rider on different generations and models.

I'm not saying that wethead riders don't visit in this "Motorrad" forum section, but it's for general bike discussion - like your oil analysis, and for events, industry news, commentary, etc.

Hope this is helpful. You will find a ton of valuable contributors over there.

“ You Might Try the "Wetheads" Forum”

No need to repost all this. Nothing wrong with the Motorrad section.

OM

Useless post on your part says the non-Wethead admin. Just trying to point a guy in the right direction.
And I am trying to keep the forum clear of duplicate postings. If a member decides they want their post in a different area of the forum, they can contact a Moderator. A full list of Moderators can be found by clicking on the Mod Squad link in my signature line.
OM

Back