• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

jbwebb650

Greeting. New member with 2002 F650GS Dakar project bike (bought cheap, needs some work). I'm working my way through a problem I have researched quite a bit: the dreaded surge, stall, and a tachometer that goes to redline while then engine maintains constant speed. The current item on the checklist is the throttle position sensor. I checked it with an ohm meter and the positions at idle and full open seem correct (closed circuit). Physically, however, it is questionable. I do not hear any mechanical noises when adjusting it off the bike. As I roll out of idle, should there be an audible click of the idle switch opening? if that switch is broken, that might explain the erratic rpms while idling. Has anyone taken one apart? Since this is a budget project and I'm trying to stay lean, I wanted to reach out before spending $130 on a new one. Thanks for the assist. And if there is an existing thread on this, by all means show me the way...

Welcome to the forum! There are a few ways to browse around for potential past info on this.

- the Tag Cloud -- at the bottom of the screen are a number of Tags for this Thread that were entered by a member. One is Throttle Position Sensor that is clickable for past threads that also have this as a tag. You can do additional search in the cloud by clicking on View Tag Cloud.

- the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen -- this is generated by the forum software and provides what it thinks are similar threads based upon titles.

- Google site search -- go to google and type something like "site:forums.bmwmoa.org F650GS throttle position sensor" (no quotes) into the search box. Try other search items that might be specific to your issue.

Good luck!

Greeting. New member with 2002 F650GS Dakar project bike (bought cheap, needs some work). I'm working my way through a problem I have researched quite a bit: the dreaded surge, stall, and a tachometer that goes to redline while then engine maintains constant speed. The current item on the checklist is the throttle position sensor. I checked it with an ohm meter and the positions at idle and full open seem correct (closed circuit). Physically, however, it is questionable. I do not hear any mechanical noises when adjusting it off the bike. As I roll out of idle, should there be an audible click of the idle switch opening? if that switch is broken, that might explain the erratic rpms while idling. Has anyone taken one apart? Since this is a budget project and I'm trying to stay lean, I wanted to reach out before spending $130 on a new one. Thanks for the assist. And if there is an existing thread on this, by all means show me the way...

I had that problem with a 2013 650 GS. Swapped a lot of stuff like the ECU and stuff. Problem finally went away when I replaced the fuel pump (not the fuel pump carrier) with a cheap $20.00 fuel pump from e-bay. Nobody could figure out why. Tach goes to red line without revs going up, bike quits (pretty exciting when your passing a semi on a two lane when traffic appears ahead).

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Thanks. I have a new fuel pump, same one you mentioned most likely, and will try that soon.

The TPS is a potentiometer, so there is no micro-switch to create a "click". My previous Ohm readings don't really help out there. I am having trouble finding any reference to the min/max resistance for the sensor, so I cant tell is it good or bad.

The Bosch spec sheet for my 1150 (and no I don't know if yours is the same) says -
1) the resistance between terminals 1 and 2 is 2K ohms +/- 20%;
2) when the wiper is sitting at "zero", the resistance between terminals 2 and 3 should be between 710 and 1380 ohms.
Sorry I couldn't upload the PDF.

Per member DieselYoda: This sensor's [1100-1150 bikes] Bosch part number (NOT the "BMW" #) crosses to everything from a 1987 Ford Pickup to a Volvo D11 Exhaust Brake Angle Sensor.

And as far as taking one apart, yes I did...
P7040003.JPG

Problem solved

Good news - problem solved, Bad news - I did not follow the scientific method...

Although my battery tested fine for voltage and CCA, I bought a new one based upon the various threads suggesting how sensitive these bikes are to batteries.

I received a new TPS and compared it with the old one. The resistance was different between the two. New range between left contact and common was .8 to 5.3 ohm, idle to full open throttle. Old TPS read 1.5 to 8.9. Although there is a difference, I could not say if it is significant enough to cause my issue. Since I replaced the TPS and battery at the same time, I''m not sure if one, the other, or the combination solved the issue. Honestly right now I dont care. The bike runs great and I just want to ride.

Back