Thread: A Question for Tall GSA Riders

A Question for Tall GSA Riders

I test rode a 2015 GSA today and I could tell the difference between the GS and the GSA with regards to the slightly wider tank. My legs felt significantly farther apart and I wondered if I would just get used to the difference or whether or not it would start to become comfortable on longer rides. I'm a little over 6' with a 34" inseam. What are other people's experiences?
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

I have a 17 GSA and 34Ē inseam, the tank width doesnít bother me at all. The bend in my knees is another story, Iíve added a taller seat, risers, and my pegs are about 10mm lower than stock. Reach to the ground was fine before the seat but my knees really felt cramped.

I added a Touratech Dri-ride sport (one piece, full length) and it slopes a touch toward the tank, the fabric material makes it a bit slick so I feel like Iím sliding forward. Not sure if Iíll keep it or try something different.

Rider Protection

I think it provides very good rider protection in concert with the windscreen and jugs, I am tall and find the GS too narrow. I did put a Russel DayLong Saddle on that draws my knees up and in toward the tank. I feel really grounded and stable on the bike.

Good luck finding a ride.

Chris

I guess you get used to it? I have an affinity for wide bikes. I grew up riding horses around the farm (like for farm duties, not show or tricks or as a hobby) and so a super tall saddle and wide leg position just feels comfortable to me. That has carried over to my bikes:

All of my bikes have a wide up front to them and I like it that way. I also always get a tall seat and raise the suspension on them...makes them harder to steal :P

Before I bought my third GSA, I test road a standard GS and it felt closer to a sport bike than a touring bike and the tank felt too narrow so I once again bought a GSA.
    Social Media, Newsletter, YouTube | BMWMOA Lifetime Member | MOA Board Secretary | MOA Regional Coordinator | Vermont BMW Club Vice President

Thanks for everyone's input.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer