• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

About those BMW parts fiches

walt3022

The fiches available online are divided into categories to aid in zeroing in on the part number one needs. Can anyone direct me to the category where the control cables are explained? TIA

The fiches available online are divided into categories to aid in zeroing in on the part number one needs. Can anyone direct me to the category where the control cables are explained? TIA

You haven’t specified which cables, but generally look under “Steering” for “Bowden Cables” for throttle cables, under “Clutch” then “Clutch Control” for clutch cables, and under “Brakes” for a brake cable on those bikes that use them, like the R100GS.

Best,
DeVern

Thank you for the prompt response to my question. Now, a follow-on: OEM throttle cables have varied in quality over the years. Are current ones the best option, or should I look to the after market or even make my own?

It probably doesn't help much, but sometimes the fiche offers different views. I use RealOEM mostly and they have a "text" menu or an "images" menu. Under the images menu, it gives you a little more clue as to which part of the bike it is.

As for OEM vs aftermarket, I would go with OEM all day long. I bought a non-OEM throttle cable for my R69S quite a few years ago...hated it. Remember that cable is going to be your direct contact with the bike/engine/brakes...if it's not right, you're going to regret it. There is making your own cables, but I've never pursued that approach. :wave

Who knows?

Now a day, who knows if the cables or parts sold by BMW are the best or not.

In my case I have ordered from both BMW dealers and Other companies and have yet to be disappointed with the quality of items ordered from EME, Siebenrock, Boxer two valve or Ted Porter.

As for cables, I haven't seen a degradation in quality over time in the BMW sourced ones, and I have yet to see a poor quality cable from one of the shops I just listed.

I don't buy the cheapest part available where there is a chance of getting a bogus part.

I don't know where BMW gets cables from, nor the other guys but, so far they have been good quality. The guys on Ebay for example, offering low low prices may have a third rate company they source from or, they may have gotten a good deal from the BMW source.

I know the reputable shops won't sell junk willingly, not sure about some of the Ebay guys. As for custom made cables, well, like anything, the quality depends on the guy making the cables. Sorry, I can't recommend anyone, I have never had custom ones made for me. St.

I just get them from BMW. I have seen some really lousy aftermarket cables recently. The ends are too small and the cables don't get held straight in the adjusters.

Back