• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New R18 Transcontinental

Yes. I was getting some yesterday while trying to find my way around a small town with a lot of 4 way stops. It didn't like the repeated stop and go and started to slip, but only in first gear. I also got the engine overheating once while in that constant stop and go.

That's concerning considering it's a dry clutch and not easily serviced.

That's concerning considering it's a dry clutch and not easily serviced.

In the article, mentioned earlier, it say that BMW fixed this on the r18 and classic. I bet this will be fixed as well but the first batch were already made or at least mostly finished in order to ship out on time.

Another thing that might be changed in the future is the availability of the Adaptive Cruise Control(ACC). The rarity of microchips has thrown the availability of ACC in to a state of flux. The owner of the dealership told me that all of the first batch will have ACC but the future orders were likely to not have it.

In the article, mentioned earlier, it say that BMW fixed this on the r18 and classic. I bet this will be fixed as well but the first batch were already made or at least mostly finished in order to ship out on time.

Another thing that might be changed in the future is the availability of the Adaptive Cruise Control(ACC). The rarity of microchips has thrown the availability of ACC in to a state of flux. The owner of the dealership told me that all of the first batch will have ACC but the future orders were likely to not have it.

It's kind of bizarre that they tune it out. The only thing I can think of is reducing power/torque. The thing is, maybe the setup should have been more stout to begin with. I mean, HDs don't do this AFAIK and they're in the same kind of power/torque range.

It's kind of bizarre that they tune it out. The only thing I can think of is reducing power/torque. The thing is, maybe the setup should have been more stout to begin with. I mean, HDs don't do this AFAIK and they're in the same kind of power/torque range.

Harley-Davidsons, at least the Big Twins, run multi-plate wet clutches vaguely similar to most other motorcycles. So they can take a decent amount more slipping and heat and abuse before having issues...in theory, anyway. In practice, there was a recall of 238,000 Harley-Davidsons just a few years ago for a factory clutch issue.
I think their design of having a totally separate casing and oil just for the primary chain and clutch is stupid and needlessly complicated, but that's a rant I won't get into.

I'm no automotive engineer, but I have one theory based on my limited knowledge that could be fixed without reducing power or torque on the R18.
With a big dry single-plate clutch like the R18, one cause of slipping like sntkirkham described could be poor manufacturing or material choice for the friction disc. Possibly a bad batch from a supplier or something like that. A poorly manufactured or improperly compounded friction material on the disc could have an insufficient coefficient of friction when it gets too hot, such as in a stop-and-go scenario with a very heavy bike that has a great big torquey engine. The friction material on dry clutch discs is typically sintered, just like brake pads, and if one big batch from a BMW supplier wasn't quite made right it could definitely cause slipping when hot and go away after the clutch has had a chance to cool down a bit.

If it is a manufacturing issue that ends after they've used up all the bad friction discs at the factory, then I bet we'll see either a recall or a TSB advising a warranty replacement in a year or two when enough R18 owners complain.

Unrelated, but that Transcontinental model shown in the pictures earlier in the thread is...honestly beautiful. I'm genuinely surprised at how good it looks in that purple paint option. I'd never want to own one, since I'm too small to be comfortable with huge heavy touring machines, but it is very pretty.

Harley-Davidsons, at least the Big Twins, run multi-plate wet clutches vaguely similar to most other motorcycles. So they can take a decent amount more slipping and heat and abuse before having issues...in theory, anyway. In practice, there was a recall of 238,000 Harley-Davidsons just a few years ago for a factory clutch issue.
I think their design of having a totally separate casing and oil just for the primary chain and clutch is stupid and needlessly complicated, but that's a rant I won't get into.

I'm no automotive engineer, but I have one theory based on my limited knowledge that could be fixed without reducing power or torque on the R18.
With a big dry single-plate clutch like the R18, one cause of slipping like sntkirkham described could be poor manufacturing or material choice for the friction disc. Possibly a bad batch from a supplier or something like that. A poorly manufactured or improperly compounded friction material on the disc could have an insufficient coefficient of friction when it gets too hot, such as in a stop-and-go scenario with a very heavy bike that has a great big torquey engine. The friction material on dry clutch discs is typically sintered, just like brake pads, and if one big batch from a BMW supplier wasn't quite made right it could definitely cause slipping when hot and go away after the clutch has had a chance to cool down a bit.

If it is a manufacturing issue that ends after they've used up all the bad friction discs at the factory, then I bet we'll see either a recall or a TSB advising a warranty replacement in a year or two when enough R18 owners complain.

Unrelated, but that Transcontinental model shown in the pictures earlier in the thread is...honestly beautiful. I'm genuinely surprised at how good it looks in that purple paint option. I'd never want to own one, since I'm too small to be comfortable with huge heavy touring machines, but it is very pretty.

It could be bad materials, but they BMW would know that I think. Getting them to act on it is another problem altogether.

The galaxy paint job is gorgeous. The stock photo earlier in the thread is not the true color. That photo makes it look lavender. Its much better than that. its a true blue to dark purple transition. There is a point that it turns a bit green/teal. My demo ride was on a R18B in that paint job. I wanted it but finding one is difficult. The one TC that was in Washington was already slated for a dealer swap to a dealer in California prior to it even arriving in Washington. The transition from blue to purple is really cool, especially in the sunlight.

The galaxy paint job is gorgeous. The stock photo earlier in the thread is not the true color. That photo makes it look lavender. Its much better than that. its a true blue to dark purple transition. There is a point that it turns a bit green/teal. My demo ride was on a R18B in that paint job. I wanted it but finding one is difficult. The one TC that was in Washington was already slated for a dealer swap to a dealer in California prior to it even arriving in Washington. The transition from blue to purple is really cool, especially in the sunlight.

I like the galaxy dust best too. Not a fan of black and I hate mattes and neutrals. I prefer real color.

I like the galaxy dust best too. Not a fan of black and I hate mattes and neutrals. I prefer real color.

My first car was black and I did tell myself I would avoid owning another black car, or white too. Now both BMW bikes ive owned were white and now black. To make it better I chose the pinstripe first edition TC.93CA1D12-0319-4EB0-8A8C-CBCBABBA81FD.jpg

My first car was black and I did tell myself I would avoid owning another black car, or white too. Now both BMW bikes ive owned were white and now black. To make it better I chose the pinstripe first edition TC.

I found black blends into the night and not a good choice for night riding. I hate neutrals though. That Manhattan metallic whatever it is sucks. 50 shades of silver or gray too. My RT is silver, but I'll never do that again. I've sworn never to buy another car or bike that isn't just what I want.

I found black blends into the night and not a good choice for night riding. I hate neutrals though. That Manhattan metallic whatever it is sucks. 50 shades of silver or gray too. My RT is silver, but I'll never do that again. I've sworn never to buy another car or bike that isn't just what I want.

I totally get it. I ride my bike daily through almost all weather. Standing snow is the exception. I have opted, instead of a brighter color bike, to wear HiViz jackets instead. My standard jacket is the First Gear Killenmenjaro (sp?) in Hi Viz. My summer jacket is a Klim mesh with hi viz. I also wear Hi viz gloves unless its really cold or raining.

Transcontinental fan?

It's a nice looking bike. Honestly, if the back seat is comparable in comfort to a Goldwing or an Indian Touring bike, I would look at it. I like my RT. My wife does not. If she would ride it with me in comfort, that's the deal. Simple.

Jerry

It's a nice looking bike. Honestly, if the back seat is comparable in comfort to a Goldwing or an Indian Touring bike, I would look at it. I like my RT. My wife does not. If she would ride it with me in comfort, that's the deal. Simple.

Jerry

My 18 year old daughter went with me to pick up the bike. She told me she was falling asleep on the back of the bike. That to me is a sign of comfort. I have not tried any two up distance further than 45 min so far.

Comfy

My 18 year old daughter went with me to pick up the bike. She told me she was falling asleep on the back of the bike. That to me is a sign of comfort. I have not tried any two up distance further than 45 min so far.

Good deal. I might have to try and find one then.

Jerry

Back