• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New R18 Transcontinental

If the Transcontinental generates profits that lets BMW continue improving the R1200/R1250 line, I'm all for it. It might appeal to H-D riders, which I'm sure was their intent.

If I'm their target market (old, fat, bald<s>ing</s>) for the Transcontinental, they just shot themselves in the foot. I don't see a single attractive feature.

Selecting the purple paint or First Addition package with the Premium package put the price around $32,000.

R18 Transcontinental.png

R18 Transcontinental first edition.jpg

I like the way it looks, nice features and very attractive.

Not for me, but I hope it does well for the target market and brings new riders to BMW.

I wonder if the 1600 Bagger and Grand America's days are numbered with the Transcontinental crowding that segment space.

For me that video was worthless for showing a new bike.
You only get a few glimpse and most of the shots were way too dark.

I think that video's objective was to surround the bike with a sense of coolness. No doubt there are more informational videos available or coming soon.

I think that video's objective was to surround the bike with a sense of coolness. No doubt there are more information videos available or coming.

I think it's important on the first videos to have clear pictures and latter move on to the coolness factor.

Well, the website does a good job of laying out the details on the bike, and the video’s purpose is not so much to sell the bike as the lifestyle/emotional/attitudinal package. I’m just glad the riders were wearing gear, and not sure what could have been added or different, as BMW is kinda walking a line between disparate groups with this bike. The gear tilts toward the traditional BMW rider, the bike toward the intended conquest market. Maybe bringing back the leather duster from the R1200C era? More cowbell? Six-shooters? :)

I hope BMW sells a ton of them, that would be good for the dealers, the marque, and those who want to see continued development on other models in the lineup.

Best,
DeVern

I cannot be certain, but it looks like it has foot pegs rather than floor-boards. A true bagger must have floor-boards, or so I am told. If needed I imagine Touratech will fill the void.

I cannot be certain, but it looks like it has foot pegs rather than floor-boards. A true bagger must have floor-boards, or so I am told. If needed I imagine Touratech will fill the void.

They are on backorder already at TT....:jester

On that note, I think these bikes look cool and hope BMW has a hit with them.
Not for me personally as I am a GS guy, but nevertheless a neat concept as that R18 engine was begging for more use than just the initial model.

When I look at the Bagger pictures I see foot pegs and floorboards.
When you configure a Bagger it shows floorboards on the base model.

Whew! That’s a relief.

I think is a very good looking in a Harley/Indian sort of way. The baggers made by the UJM crowd always fell short in my opinion, as did the previous forays by BMW into the cruiser world, but this one looks good.

Here's the full-dress one.... got teeny-tiny floorboards. Heel and toe shifter too.

Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 4.44.09 PM.jpg

Whew! That’s a relief.

I think is a very good looking in a Harley/Indian sort of way. The baggers made by the UJM crowd always fell short in my opinion, as did the previous forays by BMW into the cruiser world, but this one looks good.

I think BMW did a good job getting the style right for the intended market.
Of the two models I like the Transcontinental the best.
Normally I like the looks of Baggers more than Dressers.
BMW managed to make a very large top box look good.

Looking at the picture in post 17 I see BMW even got the side stand right. It appears it might lock like a Harley side stand.

R18 Transcontinental 1.jpg

Back