• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Will the TPMS do extra measurements without restarting the engine?

pmariana

Hi all, I think that this applies to any fairly recent model with BMW TPMS — has anyone discovered how to force the TPMS to do another pressure check on demand, while riding?

Currently, the only way that I know of is to stop and restart the engine . . . while at a longer stop light, for example,

Cheers

Peter

For the system to provide the information the system is intended to provide (rapid drop in pressure or pressure below a set level), the sampling rate of the pressure by the system must be constant or nearly so. I have found that if I try to use the TPMS as a replacement for an accurate tire pressure gage I seem to be chasing the pressure around. The tire pressure readings on the two bikes we ride that have TPMS change as we ride as tire temperatures change. Normally not by much and not often, but they do normally climb by a a PSI or so after we first begin riding. I do not believe there is a reason to try to "force" a check at anytime since the system is constantly checking.

When I bought my RT I went across the street to fill on gas and checked the tire pressures on the dash. They were low and with the bike running I aired them up just using the dash readout for tire pressure. So the readout is constantly updating.

Thanks for everyone’s answers, they are very good.

What I have noticed however, real-time, is that on riding fresh in the morning, when the tires are cool, the TPMS will eventually give the first read out of the ride, and that won’t change for the whole ride, it doesn’t, and yet if I stop and restart the engine, the so-called "forced" new reading will show a different pair of readings, which will sort of naturally, be higher.

So therefore it seems clear that the pressure can be going up and down but the readout is not showing this constantly. I do wonder if it is the case that a sudden and significant change in pressure, (more than 0.5 psi, say) such as a puncture that is progressing rapidly, will probably be shown, and may also come with a system warning.

So I ask, should I have the interest, can I get a new reading by any other method than restarting the engine. Looks like the answer might be “No"

Peter

Read #6 on this thread.

The TPS activates when riding, I guess to save battery. When the tire starts rotating it takes a couple of minutes to get a GOOD absolute tire pressure reading. From that point on the PSI reported should be nearly stable. There are two low limit warnings when the tire pressure goes down into the 2.xx PSI range. That's the way it is described in my F700GS Owner's Manual.

After the bike has stopped the TPS still sends a few updates for a couple of seconds and then I see "-- --" at the display.

/Guenther

Read #6 on this thread.

The TPS activates when riding . . . From that point on the PSI reported should be nearly stable. There are two low limit warnings when the tire pressure goes down into the 2.xx PSI range. That's the way it is described in my F700GS Owner's Manual.

/Guenther

Yes, there we go - very good Guenther, that’s exactly what I’m seeing. I suspect that after a solid half hour of riding, more so maybe in very cold weather, the tyres will be up to whatever operating temperature that they’re going to reach, and then you will see a slight adjustment again of pressure. What I found with mine (by forcing a recheck) is after that solid warm-up time, the pressures have gone up say another 1/3 of a psi - so not a whole lot of change, but it does always reset upwards a bit. But I’m glad to hear you’re that your manual quotes, as mine doesn’t, that there is a margin of change beyond which an alarm about tyre pressure will come up - that’s the big deal anyway.

Cheers!

Back