• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Motorcycle Sale Best Practices

pappy35

Hey all, I'm selling a motorcycle and would like to list it on the usual sites (here, Cycletrader, etc.). I have never sold a motorcycle online before and thought I poll you all to see what best practices are like these days. Money order, bank transfer, cashiers check. What's you preferred method to make sure you don't get robbed?

I bring cash to buy cars, boats and moto's. Its definitive and easy.

Sell everything you have for the bike and give over all receipts for service and special tools unless you would use them on another bike you own or plan to own. Include all spares and previous stock parts which you should have kept. Makes the sale much more attractive.

Detail the bike and put fresh tires on it unless existing tires are fairly close to new. New owner is likely to change fluids, filters and plugs. Even pads are easy but tires are pain in the ass to replace.

Be very detailed in the online add with lots of photos and a comprehensive list of upgrades, spares and recent work. Include all scuffs and possible warts so there are no surprises when buyer sees it. If something doesn't work, say it.

1. Cash, as in green folding US dollars, is always king.

2. Any form of printed payment (checks, money orders, cashiers checks, etc) can be forged nowadays. My favorite form of payment is by coordinated EFT between banks. And yes, green folding US dollars can be forged, too- so learn to discern counterfeit bills.

3. No one gets a test ride until money is in hand (or bank) and a bill of sale signed. Buyer gets a one-hour test ride and at that time can return the bike and unwind the transaction or pick up the signed title. I once purchased a bike from a seller who was OK with cashiers checks, and my arrangement with him was simple: I gave him a cashier’s check for $100 less than the sale along with a $100 bill. After a test ride I could pick up the title OR the cashier’s check, but the C-note was his either way. This was a year-old bike with 2k on the clock.

4. Insist on doing a bill of sale in addition to signing over the title, and keep a xerox copy of both. Many states insist on a BoS anyway, and it gives you additional proof of transaction and terms. Best if it’s a format that holds signature of both buyer and seller, but most of the online ones require only a seller’s signature.

I helped the widow of a good friend sell more than a dozen motorcycles from her husband’s collection, a year-long process in which we stuck to the above guidelines. It worked out well.

Best,
DeVern

1. Cash, as in green folding US dollars, is always king.

2. Any form of printed payment (checks, money orders, cashiers checks, etc) can be forged nowadays. My favorite form of payment is by coordinated EFT between banks. And yes, green folding US dollars can be forged, too- so learn to discern counterfeit bills.

3. No one gets a test ride until money is in hand (or bank) and a bill of sale signed. Buyer gets a one-hour test ride and at that time can return the bike and unwind the transaction or pick up the signed title. I once purchased a bike from a seller who was OK with cashiers checks, and my arrangement with him was simple: I gave him a cashier’s check for $100 less than the sale along with a $100 bill. After a test ride I could pick up the title OR the cashier’s check, but the C-note was his either way. This was a year-old bike with 2k on the clock.

4. Insist on doing a bill of sale in addition to signing over the title, and keep a xerox copy of both. Many states insist on a BoS anyway, and it gives you additional proof of transaction and terms. Best if it’s a format that holds signature of both buyer and seller, but most of the online ones require only a seller’s signature.

I helped the widow of a good friend sell more than a dozen motorcycles from her husband’s collection, a year-long process in which we stuck to the above guidelines. It worked out well.

Best,
DeVern

This was great. Thanks!

PS - I can't "like" posts on this forum so thanks to everyone that's replied so far.

I haven't sold a vehicle in a while, but I've read that some police departments recommend using their location as a safe place to meet. I don't know about your locale, but you may want to inquire if the local police department is open to this.

Yes EFT i.e.Zelle

I bought my only current bike with cash as the seller was not open to Zelle even though one of his banks accepted it. It is pretty common among most banks. The seller and buyer don't see each others accounts and I use this no fee service for many things. In a big city environment craigslist robberies are frequent but I was buying with cash from a well known person in a small county. I recommend Zelle but the seller may want no bank record for IRS reasons.

Cash is fine until you start talking large numbers. Most people don't mind getting five or six thousand in 100 dollar bills, but on a newer bike or car, where you might be talking about $20,000 and up, that's a lot of 100 dollar bills to get your hands on. Most banks require an appointment now to hand over that much cash...at least the last over $10,000 dollar purchase I made did. I tell a buyer I will accept a cashiers check at a national bank chain printed out while I am present at the teller window. With inflation over the last 50 years, I've always felt it's past time for the Treasury to put the $500 dollar bill back in circulation. But that will never happen. The federal government wants to go the opposite direction...cashless society.

“ Federal law requires a person to report cash transactions of more than $10,000 by filing IRS Form 8300 PDF, Report of Cash Payments Over $10,000 Received in a Trade or Business. The information on the form helps law enforcement combat money laundering, tax evasion, drug dealing, terrorist financing and other criminal activities.”

“There is currently a long line waiting to pick up forms as this group has been in line the longest due to Covid-19 “.

:rofl :rofl

OM

I've sold several bikes over the past few years, all but one were long-distance/sight unseen sales. The only local sale was an R1200S I advertised on Craigslist. I thought I was being scammed but it turned out the buyer was a prominent local physician and we had a mutual friend. I took a personal check for $7000. This sale was an exception to the rule.

The other sales were off of Cycle Trader, the most recent two being a pair of R1100Ss. One guy came from Ohio with a trailer and one guy flew from Virginia. I picked him up at the airport and he rode home. I write very descriptive ads with numerous pictures and include pics that show any defects so potential buyers have as much information as possible and can pretty much make a decision to buy before they contact me. I also leave accessories on the bike because I can ask a little more and it makes it easier to sell since the buyer won't have to buy luggage, liners, a tank bag, etc. In each sale I took an official check, but I waited at least a week for my bank to verify that they were indeed not fake checks.

The only time I had a problem with a buyer had to do with delivery. He was in California and wanted to register the bike in Oregon. OK, whatever, register it in Alaska for all I care. He was going to fly to Va to pick it up and ride it home. Again, no problem, I'll pick you up at the airport. The problem was license plates. He wanted me to get a 5-day Va temporary trip tag for him to use on his 2-week trip home. Sorry dude, that ain't happening' on my watch. He really wanted the bike and kept calling, I finally had to block his number.

plates going with vehicles si one thing I've heard is a potential issue. CA the plates stay, but I hear some states the owner keeps them.

MC Sales

Small accessories and farkles are often overlooked by the seller. Thoroughly go over the bike and document every modification from stock. You might be surprised. Of course, you won't be able to recover all your costs, but you'll have a better idea of the value.

If they want the plates that on the motorcycle then head to your state DMV and complete the paperwork there. That way you know that the plates are out of your name. From past experience in a state that required plates stay with the vehicle, I sold a vehicle to a person that failed to register the vehicle and they racked up several parking tickets. The only thing that saved me from having to pay those tickets was I had copies bill of sale and other documents that proved that I sold that vehicle to another person. Then I had to go to DMV to get those plates out of my name.

Yep - always keep your plates!!!! They should never go with the buyer/new owner!!

If they want the plates that on the motorcycle then head to your state DMV and complete the paperwork there. That way you know that the plates are out of your name. From past experience in a state that required plates stay with the vehicle, I sold a vehicle to a person that failed to register the vehicle and they racked up several parking tickets. The only thing that saved me from having to pay those tickets was I had copies bill of sale and other documents that proved that I sold that vehicle to another person. Then I had to go to DMV to get those plates out of my name.

Yeah The plates stay with me. No way I'm letting them go with the buyer.

On the plate issue, what I typically do is bring with me some plates off of something I own.
I put them on and then motor home. With a bill of sale in my hand, never been stopped.
I've got plates on- they just don't match the vehicle and I rarely get stopped anyway.
If your in a situation where you have to wait on the local DMV to help you, you could be in for a long wait.
Much easier to just deal with the DMV at home IMHO
Nick
1978 R80/7

On the plate issue, what I typically do is bring with me some plates off of something I own.
I put them on and then motor home. With a bill of sale in my hand, never been stopped.
I've got plates on- they just don't match the vehicle and I rarely get stopped anyway.
If your in a situation where you have to wait on the local DMV to help you, you could be in for a long wait.
Much easier to just deal with the DMV at home IMHO
Nick
1978 R80/7

I have a vanity plate on mine that want to keep and hang in my garage. What the new owner does is his own business once he signs the receipt and the title.

I posted it on here, at BMWSporttouring and Cycletrader. I've gotten one nibble here and two bites on CT (each within 10 minutes of each other!). I'd say that's pretty encouraging so far.

Any updates?

I posted it on here, at BMWSporttouring and Cycletrader. I've gotten one nibble here and two bites on CT (each within 10 minutes of each other!). I'd say that's pretty encouraging so far.

Any positive leads? I'm getting ready to put my 2017 GS up for sale shortly.

Back