Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Kick Stand Extension for a 94 R 1100 RS

  1. #1
    Kawa Afterthought weschmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    DeSoto MO
    Posts
    821

    Kick Stand Extension for a 94 R 1100 RS

    Recently changed old 9 year old Michelin PR 3 tires on my 94 RS . Couldnít find any Michelin 18 inch tires so went with the Metzler 888 in the 160/60 18 rear and 120/70/R17 in front. It seems these tires are taller somewhat as I have very little clearance from the ground when on center stand, where in the past the front would spin freely. No big deal I think, but find the additional quarter inch seems to really put the bike on a tilt when on the side stand. Any suggestions for a kickstand extension other than carrying a piece of wood to stick under it? Tires run great and no rubbing but Iím not completely flat footed anymore and donít think Iíve shrunk another half inch in a couple days. 😀.

  2. #2
    Registered User 6322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riggins, ID
    Posts
    660
    I had a different issue with the side stand on my Ď00 RS. I just wasnít comfortable that it would support the bike on soft ground or when loaded, so I cut out a foot an welded it to the bottom of the stand. I then ground it to fit by cornering. All good now but you might consider adding a foot, for support as well as adding length to the stand. Iíve also seen folks cut the stand and add a sleeve, again welding it, to add a little length.
    Gary Phillips - #6322
    Wildland Firefighter, Retired, Riggins, ID
    Heartland Moto Locos BMW Riders
    '77 R100/7 Dirt Hack, '83 R80ST, '85 K100RS w/EML, '93 K1100LT, '00 R1100RS

  3. #3
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    17,052
    Quite a few side stand threads via the Tag Cloud. Here is one.

    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...e-Stand-Length

    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  4. #4
    Kawa Afterthought weschmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    DeSoto MO
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Quite a few side stand threads via the Tag Cloud. Here is one.

    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...e-Stand-Length

    OM
    Thanks for the direction. I don't have a welder but do have the ability to cut, tap and add bolt spacer. Excellent idea. I'll have to learn how to use the Tag Cloud on the forum as I have been using the search column but have poor results. Something new to learn.😀

  5. #5
    Jerry Emhoff
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    southwest Michigan
    Posts
    100
    I added a hockey puck to the bottom of my sidestand on my 96 RT and love it. Iím not home so I donít have a pic. I used a router to inset the foot into the top of the puck and used stainless screws to attach it. I also had to trim the outside edge so it would rest properly in the up position.
    Winter is coming

  6. #6
    Kawa Afterthought weschmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    DeSoto MO
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirider View Post
    I added a hockey puck to the bottom of my sidestand on my 96 RT and love it. Iím not home so I donít have a pic. I used a router to inset the foot into the top of the puck and used stainless screws to attach it. I also had to trim the outside edge so it would rest properly in the up position.
    👍. I'll try this first.

  7. #7
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    22,650
    Examples:

    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...l=1#post156067

    Near bottom of this page:

    http://www.kbikeparts.com/classickbi...100rs_mods.htm

    This site had multiple "extensions" for various bikes...here's just one:

    https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.c...rgement-2.html
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  8. #8
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    17,052
    Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    Thanks for the direction. I don't have a welder but do have the ability to cut, tap and add bolt spacer. Excellent idea. I'll have to learn how to use the Tag Cloud on the forum as I have been using the search column but have poor results. Something new to learn.😀
    Great pictorial on using the Tag Cloud here-

    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...Tag-Cloud-quot

    Really a helpful tool as it ďautomaticallyĒ starts to fill while you type and allows you to see the best options.

    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  9. #9
    Kawa Afterthought weschmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    DeSoto MO
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Great pictorial on using the Tag Cloud here-

    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...Tag-Cloud-quot

    Really a helpful tool as it ďautomaticallyĒ starts to fill while you type and allows you to see the best options.

    OM
    OMG Thanks. How I forgot this great option, I cannot say, but new found, lost knowledge relearned is a bonus to each bonus day of retirement😀🙏

Similar Threads

  1. Center Stand and Kick Stand Wear
    By 196097 in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-14-2018, 02:08 AM
  2. GS kick stand
    By btadjalli in forum Thumpers - F & G bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-02-2011, 05:44 PM
  3. 95 R1100R Kick stand
    By Ctrod in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2010, 11:45 PM
  4. Kick stand removal
    By ggfossen in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2007, 11:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •