• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BRPW detours update

ALIENHITCHHIKER

Here's an update on the status of BRPW closings:

The North Carolina section from the NC 80 access north to Linville is now open. The Parkway still remains closed from NC 80 south to Mount Mitchell.

If you are traveling south-to-north this means you'll have to exit the BRPW at Asheville and then pick it back up via NC 80.

Two detour choices (both are equally interesting rides). Both are described from south-to-north; if traveling north-to-south, reverse (duh!).

#1. 19/23 north from Asheville (also signed as "Future I-26 West") to 19E, through Burnsville & then NC 80 South back to the Parkway. This is the fast sweepers' route, relatively speaking.

#2. I-40 East to 70 East, to 80 North at Marion. This is the tight & twisty route, again, relatively speaking.

You can still ride to Mount Mitchell from Asheville, but once you get there you'll have to back-track to Asheville and then pick up the detour to continue north. (There is a gravel road which drops north to Barnardsville from the Craggy Gardens picnic area; suitable for GS types and madmen on street bikes without linked brakes.)

Parkway officials hope to open the NC 80 to Mitchell stretch by April 29th.

I also understand that there will be a short detour set up near Blowing Rock May 1 -August 25 for a bridge repair.

Ride it before the "season" begins at the end of May, preferably in the middle of the week (unless you have a thing for Winnebago bumpers).

There you have it.

Hwy 80, or "Buck Creek" as we locals know it is in really good shape. I have been on it the last two weekends. Sweet.

Back