• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2002 K1200RS High Idle

Solved!!!

And it was…….a massive air leak!!!

Here’s what happened.

It has been my impression that the top rubber pieces on the throttle bodies, I’ll call them “snorkels”, were to remain on the throttle bodies. Every time I pulled the intake muffler off I left the rubber “snorkels” attached to the throttle bodies.

Not right.

The rubber intake “snorkels” should have been disconnected from the throttle bodies and left inserted into the intake muffler.

Keep in mind that I have had the intake muffler off more than a few times since we acquired Rotti back in 2012. Each time the “snorkels” were, I’ll say, long enough to push back into the intake muffler to make a sufficient seal.

When I did the brake bleed back in Jun of 2021 I did pull the tank and intake muffler off the bike to do some clean up and to keep any brake fluid from dripping on any surfaces. When I replaced the intake muffler this was the last straw so to speak, the “snorkels” had become so pushed down on the throttle bodies that they were no longer long enough to push into the intake muffler and create a seal.

The result…a massive air leak.

Both I and the Tech did an air leak test or two. Both of us sprayed the flammable fluid at the throttle bodies and the rubber manifold sealing the throttle bodies to the cylinder head. Both of us got negative results so a possible air leak was shelved.

While doing the nth test start, the shop Tech noticed the air muffler was very loose on top of the throttle bodies. That’s when he discovered that the “snorkels” were not sealing properly into the intake muffler. An air leak test with the flammable spray pointed towards the “snorkels” and the intake muffler told the story…a massive air leak.

All went back together with the “snorkels” properly seated in the intake muffler and Rotti began to correct itself as the Motronic learned the new air flow. By the third start she idled at the factory 1,050 rpms.

So…after a huge amount of testing and replacing and testing and replacing it was nothing more than an air leak.

This has been an experience, for sure, though I’ve learned a lot in both how Rotti works and how to diagnose problems she may develop.

I should have Rotti home by next weekend, the 18th of September. I’m considering throwing a “Welcome Home Rotti!” party.

Thanks to all who commented and provided moral support. It was appreciated.

And super thanks to Markus and Iron Horse Motorcycles in Tucson, AZ for finally sorting it out.

Deryle & Wanda Mehrten
Sierra Vista, AZ USA

Recently our 2002 K1200RS started idling high, around 1,500 – 1,600 rpm vs a factory setting of 1,050. I removed all the body work and the gas tank, and examined the engine vent hose that connects to the back of the throttle bodies. There’s been an oil smell when Rotti our 2002 K1200RS gets hot and I suspected the vent hose had rotted out, causing an air leak.

The vent hose was rotted and there was oil on the top of the engine. I replaced the hose which required pulling the throttle bodies off. After replacing the hose and putting her back together, unfortunately Rotti continued to idle high. I disconnected the battery, waited a day, then connected the battery and did the three-times-open-and-close throttle dance. No luck, she still idled at 1,500 plus.

I connected our Wi-Fi GS911 and got repeated errors that the controller could not be read. Had Rotti’s brain gone bad? I pulled out our older GS911 and it connected to the bike no problem. Not sure why the Wi-Fi version GS911 didn’t work.

Once again I removed all the body work and the throttle bodies and did the GS911 set routine for the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), BMW calls it a Throttle Valve Switch. I set the green bar dead in the center. After testing it several times, I mounted the Throttle Actuator (TVA) as per the GS911 procedure. The GS911 reported a faulty TVA. I disconnected the battery, waited an hour or so and did another throttle dance. The TPS setting procedure again reported a TVA problem. I put her all back together and fired her up. No change…still a 1,500 to 1,600 idle.

After several warm ups and a ride around the block, I did another body strip and throttle body removal and ran the GS911 TPS setting. I made sure the TPS was dead in the center, completed the procedure and again the GS911 reported a TVA problem.

Searching the web I found a TPS testing procedure pdf file and a TVA testing procedure pdf file. The TPS pdf file stated a 1600 to 900 ohm sweep on pins 1-2 and 1120 to 1870 ohm sweep on pins 2-3 are the norms. Rotti’s TPS 1-2 pin sweep was 1540 to 810, about 60 ohms low on the high side and about 90 ohms low on the low side. Rotti’s pin 2-3 sweep was 1110 to 1550, very close on the WOT side but not so good on the closed throttle side – 300 low. There were no obvious jumps or spikes during the opening and closing of the throttle.

The TVA is basically a small motor that pushes against the throttle arm and will increase or decrease the engine’s rpm as needed. I did the tests per the TVA testing procedure pdf file using a 9 volt battery. After several tries Rotti’s TVA elongated to 43 mm and shortened to 35 mm, very close to the parameters the test procedures called for – 44 to 36. Pin 3 to 4 is basically an off switch operated by pressure on the tip of the TVA. No problem there.

Note: Search the web for “BMW K1200LT/K1200RS Testing a Throttle Position Sensor (also called TPS)” and “BMW K1200LT/K1200RS Throttle Valve Actuator (also called TVA or Idle-Control Motor)” for the pdf files.

Maybe Rotti’s brain wasn’t getting a good reading from the engine temperature sensor. I pulled the lead to the engine temperature sensor and tested it as Rotti warmed up and cooled down. I took five readings: 75 f = 1.000; 100 f = .900; 140 f = .590; 190 f = .256; and 200 f = .200. The readings were consistent, rising and falling as the engine warmed and cooled. Note that when the engine temperature sensor was unplugged both of the fans came on, and both fans came on a 218 f.

Each of the major players in the throttle opening and closing system tested relatively OK, only the 2-3 pin reading on the TPS’s low side showed any real difference. I did several manual settings of the TVA using a 9 volt battery then mounting it on the bike and not plugging it in. I found that at 39 mm extended Rotti idled at 1,500; at 37 mm she dropped into the bottom line 800 rpm idle; and at 38 mm she idled at 1,000 rpm. A very small increase/decrease made quite a difference. I sprayed water on the throttle bodies while the bike was running with no change in idle speed either at the 800 rpm idle or the 1,500 rpm idle.

Before I drop several hundred dollars on a TPS and/or a TVA are there other areas I should test? Anyone with a similar K1200RS high idle problem that was resolved? How?

Appreciate the help.

check that all the throttle springs are in place...at least two of them...I had removed one in the centre to lighten the throttle..when i REMOVED THE THROTTLE BODIES i MUST HAVE POPPED THE FRONT MOST SPRING OFF SO THE BUTTERLIES DID NOT CLOSE COMPLETELY

Back