• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Question about RT's

johnholmes

I sold my GTL mostly because it was too heavy. There were a lot of things I liked about the GTL but the weight got me down. Now I see the RT is significantly lighter. I am in the hunt for this to replace my GTL. I had a LT and the problems with the ABS made it hard for me to love. Do the 1999 thru 2003 RT's have problems with the ABS such as not being able to get them rebuilt? Is there other years that present a problem that would be an issue?

Thanks,
J

John, I don't have an answer for you but just wanted to confirm that you're interested in the Oilhead version of the twin cylinder motorcycle, right? Airheads went out of production with the 1995 model and never had ABS. If this is about an Oilhead, I can move this easily to that area of the forum...no need to start another thread.

Are you thinking R1150RT? That's a Oilhead.
If the R1150RT has Servo brakes I would go newer and look at R1200RT.

John, I don't have an answer for you but just wanted to confirm that you're interested in the Oilhead version of the twin cylinder motorcycle, right? Airheads went out of production with the 1995 model and never had ABS. If this is about an Oilhead, I can move this easily to that area of the forum...no need to start another thread.

Just goes to show ya how little I know about this
Model. I like that the RT is significantly lighter.

The oil-head RT of the years you're looking at have the same servo assisted brakes with similar issues as you experienced with your LT. The main problem was that these systems needed an full annual flush and not one every two years.. The servo brake system has increasingly become harder to repair if possible at all these days and many people have removed the ABS completely from their bikes. If you want a bike with ABS, it is best to look at the latest model you can afford. YMMV

You are partially correct about the Servo Brakes, which I agree should be avoided. The OP is looking at 1999,2000 as well as 2001. IIRC, these years had the normal ABS brakes. Many deem the 2000 and 2001 Oilhead Rt and RS models, as best, of the best.

The oil-head RT of the years you're looking at have the same servo assisted brakes with similar issues as you experienced with your LT. The main problem was that these systems needed an full annual flush and not one every two years.. The servo brake system has increasingly become harder to repair if possible at all these days and many people have removed the ABS completely from their bikes. If you want a bike with ABS, it is best to look at the latest model you can afford. YMMV

Having owned both a '02 K1200RS and a '04 R1150RT, they have servo brakes. If not maintained they can be problematic. Annual serving is a must. Replacing the brake lines is a must. And the ABS unit can be rebuilt, company called Module Masters (?). Most likely they still have a wait list and last time I checked the rebuild was in the neighborhood of $2k.

So...If you were to buy an Oilhead RT, knowing the bikes service history is important. Still have my '04 RT, (and I have a very detailed service history). And having owned numerous other European and Japanese bikes, it is without a doubt my favorite bike.

You are partially correct about the Servo Brakes, which I agree should be avoided. The OP is looking at 1999,2000 as well as 2001. IIRC, these years had the normal ABS brakes. Many deem the 2000 and 2001 Oilhead Rt and RS models, as best, of the best.

Yes you're right about the earlier bike not having the servos, I thought they did too... :coffee

John, my 2004 R1150RT is a wonderful machine and I have NO qualms at all about keeping it for as long as I possibly can. This is my ninth BMW (having also owned several Japanese, British, and American bikes).

It had about 10,000 miles on it when I bought it at Irv Seaver's; I have the complete service history on it, including the prior owner's records (and it did have several minor issues while in his ownership that were all fixed under warranty; maybe the guy just got fed up).
I've had to replace both stick coils, and one time about a year ago I got one weird "clunk" when I applied the rear brake but no problem with the ABS since then. (My 2004 1150RS also had the whizzy brakes; for some reason, they actually seem better on the RT.)
My bike was one of the batch that didn't get enough grease on the tranny's input splines, so that was an expensive disappointment but a great learning experience.

I have a 2004 R1150R with ABS/Servo brakes. Yes...unless you feel competent to service the servo - Can I say self servo ? - I'd avoid bikes thus equipped. FWIW the Haynes manual - for some reason - does not include this very necessary procedure. I found the info on line - certainly wouldn't want to wing it. Many independent shops won't do this task. I'd have to have full confidence in a dealer's people before I'd engage them. I do disagree with those that said the fluid must be changed every year. The only way I know to judge the state of the fluid is color. I've done three fluid changes at two year intervals. The first time the front brake fluid was clear, the rear slightly brown. The next two times both front and rear were clear as new. I believe I could have waited another year. I must add that the last time, the bike spent one year in dry Colorado and one year in humid Missouri.

I have a 2004 R1150R with ABS/Servo brakes. Yes...unless you feel competent to service the servo - Can I say self servo ? - I'd avoid bikes thus equipped. FWIW the Haynes manual - for some reason - does not include this very necessary procedure. I found the info on line - certainly wouldn't want to wing it. Many independent shops won't do this task. I'd have to have full confidence in a dealer's people before I'd engage them. I do disagree with those that said the fluid must be changed every year. The only way I know to judge the state of the fluid is color. I've done three fluid changes at two year intervals. The first time the front brake fluid was clear, the rear slightly brown. The next two times both front and rear were clear as new. I believe I could have waited another year. I must add that the last time, the bike spent one year in dry Colorado and one year in humid Missouri.

I'd agree that annual brake fluid changes are excessive. My 2006 R1200RT has the same servo system as yours and BMW calls for fluid changes every two years for the wheel circuits, every four years for the control circuits. I usually end up doing the control circuits every two years anyway just because it takes only a little longer and I want to have the option to skip the flush two years later.

Thanks

Good evening to my new group of friends, I believed the the problem with my LT was brake fluid flush. I could not Confirm that theory. With the information I have just gathered I am really happy to know this. I have my eye on a 2007 that particularly peaks my interest.

I'd agree that annual brake fluid changes are excessive. My 2006 R1200RT has the same servo system as yours and BMW calls for fluid changes every two years for the wheel circuits, every four years for the control circuits. I usually end up doing the control circuits every two years anyway just because it takes only a little longer and I want to have the option to skip the flush two years later.

Sorry to disagree, but annual brake flushes aren't excessive at all. A lot depends on where you live, dry Colorado is different than humid Florida.
I have seen the end result of waiting too long at my trusted dealer when people thought they could skimp on this.
$60 for having the system flushed is cheap insurance to prevent future problems, but YMMV

$60 for having the system flushed is cheap insurance to prevent future problems, but YMMV

I'm guessing the $60 is for flushing the wheel circuit on a non servo brake system?
With removing body panels and gas tank it will take longer to flush the control circuit on a bike with servo brakes.

Last edited:
Sorry to disagree, but annual brake flushes aren't excessive at all. A lot depends on where you live, dry Colorado is different than humid Florida.
I have seen the end result of waiting too long at my trusted dealer when people thought they could skimp on this.

If only it were a choice between $60 and an easy DIY task, this wouldn't be the reason many avoid servo oilheads, and we wouldn't be having this discussion. Understandable you don't know what's going on, as I had no idea a maintenance situation like this existed before I bought this bike. Try $300-$400 for the flush or spending a good part of a day yourself, on a job that's - at least for me - not easy. Also the penalty for blowing it off is way worse than a gummed up caliper.

Back