• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gsa passenger comfort

arkmark

I currently have a 2012 rt and my wife rides with me frequently. I’m really leaning towards a later model gsa but if my wife won’t be as comfortable on it or at least really close that will be a no go. I typically limit my days to about 400miles when she is with me and we are late 40’s as an age reference(not a spring chicken anymore). So if any of you have experience in this area I would appreciate the input.

My apologies if this has been covered I did try the search function to no avail.

Welcome to the forum Mark.
Like the other Lee mentioned it would be best to get a long two up test ride on one.
If you're in Arkansas that may not be easy.

I currently have a 2012 rt and my wife rides with me frequently. I’m really leaning towards a later model gsa but if my wife won’t be as comfortable on it or at least really close that will be a no go. I typically limit my days to about 400miles when she is with me and we are late 40’s as an age reference(not a spring chicken anymore). So if any of you have experience in this area I would appreciate the input.

My apologies if this has been covered I did try the search function to no avail.

In this group you are considered whippersnappers.

I have a 2017 GSA. My wife has her own bikes so I've not carried a passenger. I agree that you'll never know until you and your wife test the GSA, however, there is reason to be hopeful that it will meet with her and your needs. The GSA offers surprisingly good wind deflection and it can be fine tuned by using an aftermarket windshield and/or added wind deflectors such as those offered by Aeroflow. It also can have better air flow in the hot months. The GSA will have more suspension travel that will offer you more leeway in the suspension settings you use. I do not have any facts or figures but it appears to me that there is at least an equal amount of passenger room or the GSA may have a bit more space. There are many options available for panniers and top boxes for the GSA; not so many for the RT. Compared to the RT, I think you will find top loading panniers much more convenient to use, able to carry more inside and more suitable for strapping a duffle bag on top. So there is reason to believe the GSA is a good choice for you both.

My 5’8” wife finds my ‘18 GSA extremely uncomfortable for two reasons. 1) The location of the passenger pegs forces her to flex her knees in an angle she can tolerate for about 30 minutes. 2) Above 50mph her height puts her head in the slipstream and the bobbling gives her a stiff neck in short order

My niece, who is four inches shorter, thinks the bike is supremely comfortable

Pete

Go GSA!

Probably too late for you but my 5’4” wife lives our ‘ 16 GSA. Had an 08 GS then traded for a 13 1600GT. She much prefers the GSA. And I had a gtl seat on the gt with trunk and armrests.

My wife & I toured for years on a 2009 GSA. She's about 5'4" and it was getting tough for her to climb on. We went and demo'd a new 2019 GSA and RT back to back. Bought the RT and we are really enjoying it.

I still have my 2009 GSA. Love them both but hands down (IMO) the RT is a better road bike. And much more comfortable for my wife

2 UP on 1200 GS LC '13: Super Fan

The GS has almost 8 inches of rear travel, the GSA a little more. These numbers crush the RT.

We are supposed to ride with 30% sag, down 2 1/2" so if a pavement or dirt bump comes along that is less than 5" the shock does not bottom. If a drop off comes along of 2," the sag lets the tire go down 2" to stay on the road.

We came from an '85 K100RS with 203,000 miles and 4" of total rear travel, like an RT. When she rides that with sag down 30% or 1 1/2" and a bump comes along of 3" the spring bottoms out. Ouch. We have had a Russell Day Long saddle on it for many years.

She is 5'4 and does well on our water cooled GS, 2 up camping even. I like less fairing and less windscreen that the GS provides compared to the RT. I use the larger GSA windscreen in the winter in PA though. The GS seems to ride cooler than my K100RS. We rode the GS together 3,000 miles this summer in MT and ID and a couple thousand last summer in NY and New England. A rented a 2010 1200GS in the alps for 3,000 miles a few years ago and like the wethead much better. We rented a wethead 1200GS in Ireland for 1000+ miles and loved that as well.

Back