• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R100RS seat question

shadowray

I am new to the R100RS and looking for an OEM seat. It appears that some of the OEM seats online are lower than other OEM seats in the pictures. Did BMW offer a lower version or were the lower ones shaved down to achieve the lower look? I attached a picture for reference. Thanks for any info. Maybe they are all the same and it’s just the angle of the photo.

Attachments

• BEB584D3-5D28-40BF-B8B9-87B30C141312.png
    BEB584D3-5D28-40BF-B8B9-87B30C141312.png
    2 MB · Views: 91
Welcome to the forum! Could be the angle of the photo, but I don't believe that BMW made sculpted seats for the RS in particular or in general. I know on my '78 /7, it's not possible to take much out of the seat foam as there is a storage box under the nose of the seat, so there's not much room to play with there.

Here are a couple of sites that have numerous pictures of seats, R100RS and others. Hard to tell totally, but I don't see the type of seat your picture shows:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photopages/photosr100rs.htm

http://www.omnilex.com/public/bmw78/

I think this small storage box was used only over a small run of bikes, but I can't say which. Of course the RS had the 3/4 seat option with the cowl in the back. It's hard to figure out the fiche entries, but the bench seat with part number 52531237832 appears to have been used on bikes from 1976 to 1984. However, there's not much in the way of details there.

Rs

My RS original equipment solo seat does have a storage space with a door in the nose of the seat. I vaguely remember BMW offered a first aid kit to fit into it. I have seen the same set up on early dual seats as well.

I don't think they made that seat or seats for very many years 77 to 81 maybe? Newer seats after at the latest 81 didn't have the storage space in the nose.

Siebenrock in Germany has sourced a place to make stock seats again I just bought one for my 84RT. They have three different versions that will fit the RS. None of them have the storage compartment.

Max BMW lists a "stock" seat on the microfiche but I believe it is the Siebenrock derived seat

In the US, Siebenrock, has Boxer two valve as a distributor, if that is the right word, as well as some other on line companies selling parts from them. Last I knew, the seats were all on back order, I got lucky and found one at Motobins in the UK. Siebenrock is supposed to get seats in again and then of course so will the US companies

The seat I got is the first year style on the R90S with the smooth cover, I liked it better than the ribbed one which came with my bike. It is a very good quality unit, worth the money. St.

Yes, that little front first aid kit compartment was on my '78 RS. I removed it as it took away from some of the seat foam and made a hard spot in the seat.

Very good information here and makes me wonder since the later seats came without the storage box may have given the appearance of being lower particularly in the front section.

Thanks for the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over all

The storage compartment didn't change the appearance of the seats at all. The only thing it did do as mentioned was remove some foam and make a hard spot. Like Kurt said, pictures of stock seats and any apparent differences may be due to angle of picture.

One thing in regard to the various seats now available from Siebenrock and distributors is there are as I said three variations of the dual seat. One is the smooth seat cover version which was found on the R90S bikes. (this is the one I just purchased) it has a higher density foam. The second is a ribbed seat cover found on later year bikes and it too has a high density foam. The third version is a ribbed cover but a different foam. It is cheaper in price then the first two variations but looks like number two. I am not certain as I didn't ask but I believe this is the seat Max is offering on their microfiche. I say this because of the pricing they have compared to the other sites selling the seat. As I said, I didn't call Max to confirm.

Siebenrock has also come out with the solo police stye seat as well. I don't know if there is a 3/4 RS "solo" seat available. This seat was found on RS bikes along with the dual seat configuration. I have seen a couple of fellows who got both seats at purchase of their RS bikes but hey, BMW can be cheap as well as dealers, I don't know if they paid extra for the two seats or someone was generous. It was not a common practice at the time.

If you want a 3/4 RS seat, I can point you to a UK company called Flat Racer. My 3/4 seat was torn in an accident and they had a stock looking cover available that fit perfectly my stock 3/4 seat, I didn't need foam or a base at the time. Check them out, they may make a whole stock style seat. St.

Back