• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How do I completely drain F700GS fuel tank?

98lee

3 Red Bricks
Staff member
Alright all you F bike experts;

How do I completely drain the old gas out of my wifes F700GS without riding it? (long uninteresting story)

Looking for someone who knows.

Thanks.

Might be a good thing to have in the Tech Library.

:dance:dance:dance

I am not sure about completely but I would start by disconnecting the fuel line and using the fuel pump to pump it out.

Paul,

Is there a simple way to run the pump (does the pump run with just key on?) or do you think I should disconnect the wires from the harness and just jump the pump? I don’t want to risk messing with the Canbus or screwing up any electronics.

Thanks

The complex shape of the underseat tank and the delicate float mechanism make trying to get a siphon or pump hose in there highly inadvisable. Power can be applied to power the pump. There is a lot of info on this - just Google fuel pump controller bypass.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

So you filled it with diesel, eh? :stick

Well, there was no line at the diesel pump...

Nope, it's just been sitting way too long and it's going to sit for quite a bit longer after I get my knee replaced.

Well, there was no line at the diesel pump...

Nope, it's just been sitting way too long and it's going to sit for quite a bit longer after I get my knee replaced.

Just run it down around halfway and treat with Sta-Bil and Techron, run it in and stop worrying. In snow areas, like mine, bikes sit for months and with a little treatment, resume running fine. Even better if you can use/find non ethanol out there in Kaliphornia.
Good luck with the knee…..it’s almost day surgery nowadays.
OM

RadioFlyer,

Thanks, very helpful!

To me, it looks like the best thing would be to pull the fuel pump. Then I would have good access to drain and clean the inside.

I assume that the area below the pump is the lowest part of the tank and there are no baffles that would prevent any of the fuel from going to that point.

A cutaway of the tank illustrating my earlier post.

It is certainly more complex than my RT tank with the proebeemer.nl float conversion for sure. A trick I used was to take a piece of stiff wire that would hold its shape about half the inner diameter of the siphon pump tube and bend it to easily go where it needs to in the bottom of the tank being careful not to catch on the float itself. Then insert this wire in the siphon pump tube and snake it back in place. I could see through the filler hole with a flashlight because I had removed the fuel cap and filler neck previously. Might not be doable on this model but worked great on my RT.

Pulling the pump is not too hard either on this RT.

It is certainly more complex than my RT tank

The F700/800 tanks are more complex than any tank I know of. You can not see or touch any of the inside of the tank through the filler. There is virtually no information on draining these tanks on the internet. But there is info on replacing the pump. That combined with the cutaway that RadioFlyer posted should get me to where I want to go.

The F700/800 tanks are more complex than any tank I know of. You can not see or touch any of the inside of the tank through the filler. There is virtually no information on draining these tanks on the internet. But there is info on replacing the pump. That combined with the cutaway that RadioFlyer posted should get me to where I want to go.

I have detail on removing my pump here. Not sure how much is the same for your model but some of it might be helpful. Steps 10 and 17 for fuel pump.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...emer-nl-Float-Conversion-from-Fuel-Strip-2007

The tank has to be less than half full before you can open the fuel pump lid. Otherwise fuel will gush out big time.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

With RadioFlyer’s info and a GREAT video by David Petersen at Best Rest Products, I got it completed this afternoon. Thanks for all the input guys!

Gary, you need to put this video in the Tech Library: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4k7XOOV1uE

I have a new found respect for the designer of the F700/800 fuel tank! The tank is not just under the seat. The tank goes from the center of the engine to the taillight. It is over 40” long! It goes under and over and through all the mechanicals of the bike and never gets higher than the bottom of a standard style tank. It all pools right below the fuel pump access hole, so it is easy to drain. Most crud should settle there and is easily wiped out. But getting your hand to the far reaches of the tank is not possible because of all the bends. But I didn’t need to.

Last edited:
Back