Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ABS Error - missing pin?

ABS Error - missing pin?

I just got done finishing up replacing the stainless lines on my R1150RT. Previous threads on my associated trials and tribulations:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...d-bleed-screws
    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...tainless-Lines

Well, I thought things were going so well this weekend. The bleeding operation, if a bit messy, went well (holy cow, 9 different bleed screws!).

However, I just put things back together and now my ABS light is blinking rapidly... and not engaging the pumps at all. All of which was working before the bleeding operation.

This seems like it has to be electrical... and the only thing electrical I touched was pulling the plug on the ABS pump. Looking at it now, I notice one of the pins is significantly shorter than all the rest. I was putting paper towels in there to clean up spilled brake fluid. Maybe I broke a pin in the process?

I guess my question is - these pins should all the same height, right??

And the follow up - how screwed am I here?

IMG_1995.jpeg

It probably got pushed down. Pull it back up with pliers and see if it stays.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    It probably got pushed down. Pull it back up with pliers and see if it stays.
    Without breaking it off.

Very carefully.
    Make sure it is dead parallel with the surrounding pins.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

I think before pulling on the pin I’d probe the female portion of the connector to see if it holds a broken-off bit.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Check your brake switches (front and rear). If the brakes are applied (switches activated) before the ignition is turned on, it will produce your problem.

I changed brake lines on a client's R1150RT and has this issue. Found out the rear brake switch was very sensitive and lighting the brake light in it's retracted position. I adjusted it and it solved the problem.

So, I did tug on the pin with a pliers with no detectable movement.

I didn't see a pin stuck in the female side. So I took a needle, shoved it into the connector, then snipped it off at about where I thought it needed to extend to.

I plugged it all back in and it makes a Good Enough connection; no errors, brakes work great!

Yet another ugly hack, but in looking at what these ABS units are going for on ebay ($1k!), if it works, I'll ride it.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwraystewart View Post
    So I took a needle, shoved it into the connector, then snipped it off at about where I thought it needed to extend to.

I plugged it all back in and it makes a Good Enough connection; no errors, brakes work great!
    My compliments on your ingenuity, sir.

So, I did tug on the pin with a pliers with no detectable movement.

I didn't see a pin stuck in the female side. So I took a needle, shoved it into the connector, then snipped it off at about where I thought it needed to extend to.

Yet another ugly hack, but in looking at what these ABS units are going for on ebay ($1k!), if it works, I'll ride it.
    “More than one way to skin a cat…”

Do yourself and any future owner a favor and document your fix in the owner’s manual, and maybe even attach to the connector a tag telling a future tech to “check owner’s manual before disconnecting”. No sense risking a repeat puzzle if that connector gets pulled and your fix drops out unnoticed.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Alas, on my first ride of more than a few blocks, the ABS errored out again. I'll say even with "residual braking", the front brakes work DANG well (the rear brakes seemed much more affected).

Going to have to try Plan B, but not sure what that is yet.

I'm thinking I'm going to give it another pull. Maybe what I did was, instead of snapping the pin:

- Paper towels bent the pin.
    - Pushing the connector on pushed the pin down.

This makes sense in that the depth of that short pin is about where it seems like the connector extends to.

I did pull up medium hard on that pin, with no apparent movement. I'm loathe to yank too hard and mess it up worse, but I think next step is to yank harder than medium hard.

Do not yank it, a steady straight even pull will do it.

This is what it looks like from behind.
    I would pull the cover and carefully push from behind and have someone pulling on the other side.
    Note that the cover screws are tamperproof triangle or tamperproof 5 point torx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Thank you GSAddict.

Last night I took a needle nosed vice grip, and then slowly but firmly pulled up, and got the pin back out! Seems like things are working (knock wood).

Thank you GSAddict.

Last night I took a needle nosed vice grip, and then slowly but firmly pulled up, and got the pin back out! Seems like things are working (knock wood).
    Glad it worked for you!
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Good luck. I work with connectors for a living (avionics) and card edge connector pins are soldered to the board. Pulling or pushing on them frequently breaks the solder joint.

BAH, boo, crap.

So after "fixing" the pin last night, it seemed to go together fine. I rode into work (a few miles) and then at lunch, on my way back from the sandwich shop, the bloody ABS light came on again. It seemed to coincide with a bump in the road, but maybe that was just coincidence.

It DID seem like the brakes were working fine - good stopping power, and I can hear the servo assist on the brakes. Even when powering the bike off, then on, the error persists. You can hear something going on in the ABS unit. I took a video of the result on power-on today after getting back from lunch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE4hKTG-NwQ

I'll check fluid levels, etc. Anything else I should check? Sounds like maybe I need to hunt up a code reader (oof those look expensive)?

I would pull the cover and carefully push from behind and have someone pulling on the other side.
    Note that the cover screws are tamperproof triangle or tamperproof 5 point torx
    GSAddict - I see mine have the triangle screws; I would have to seek those out. Do these look right?
    https://www.amazon.com/Silverhill-To.../dp/B07FM9D98W

Is it possible to open this thing up without completely removing from the bike, and I guess draining all the brake fluid from the ABS unit?