• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The future of ICE auto's is emerging sorry off BMW topic

Took me about 20 seconds to plan the route

8 stops were needed over the 1,050 mile trip and (depending on the model), about 2 hours and 25 minutes were spent charging. I'm betting that's less time than needed with 2 small children and a dog :)

I have just spent the last month traveling/riding all over the area in that route, but rarely on the interstate. I did not see one Level 2 charge station the entire time. fwiw, I saw maybe 10 Teslas the entire time. Mostly the sedan, one SUV. Dang, those things look nice.

It sure as hell is nice the Tesla has a route planning tool like this, I think that outfit is gonna win. :thumb

Can’t wait to see an electric Sprinter!

Chebby Bolt is doing well…… best to park it outside though.
:scratch
I like the Sprinter. Repair costs and rust kept me from buying one.
OM

I like the Sprinter. Repair costs and rust kept me from buying one.
OM

My old 2006 Sprinter T1N was remarkably rust-free, although this model is notorious for rust if driven in road salt.

When I bought it in 2014, I had what little rust there was retouched and then repainted.

i-ktpD47F.jpg

However, this is going to be given to my son to support my grandson's MX racing.... I need to travel with a moto and I don't want problems in remote places. Plus, now I live up a mountain and need AWD. So....I replaced the Sprinter with this:

i-HdpRxJp-X2.jpg

I would think electric tow vehicles that pull RVs would be a viable alternative, if they can get a range of 400 miles or so pulling a rig, as every RV campground is already wired for 30/50 amp electric. Maybe incorporate a battery into the RV to extend the range of the tow vehicle and charge every night at the camp sight. Of course, RV sites will increase in cost for the electric charge, but that will happen everywhere. I can see a whole new RV camping model sprouting up next to the highways and biways. Just a matter of imagination, and quite possibly a cultural change in how we move around. Or maybe a gaser and an electric sitting in the driveway. After all, the two car or more per family is a well established process. If we eliminated just half the gasers on the roads we would all start to see the benefits of better air quality.

I would think electric tow vehicles that pull RVs would be a viable alternative, if they can get a range of 400 miles or so pulling a rig, as every RV campground is already wired for 30/50 amp electric. Maybe incorporate a battery into the RV to extend the range of the tow vehicle and charge every night at the camp sight. Of course, RV sites will increase in cost for the electric charge, but that will happen everywhere. I can see a whole new RV camping model sprouting up next to the highways and biways. Just a matter of imagination, and quite possibly a cultural change in how we move around. Or maybe a gaser and an electric sitting in the driveway. After all, the two car or more per family is a well established process. If we eliminated just half the gasers on the roads we would all start to see the benefits of better air quality.

And with the development of the solid state battery, the practical long-range use of EVs could possibly be sooner than expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdSqibMhBwg

E.

Last edited:
Charging stations in the north

New York is in that northern tier of states and I have never seen an engine block heater cord. We did stay at a Red Roof in Malone, NY, which had a couple of charging stations, which I used. We just got back from a car trip to NH - no electric cords or charging stations at the motel, and NH is in that northern tier of states.

Just sayin' - it would take a huge commitment in providing charging stations, most of it by private-sector motels, to enable long distance travel in electric cars, and I just don't see that happening any time soon.

Harry

Last year on a great trip to eastern Canada, from the west, I was unfortunately held up in Wawa, Ontario with a blown tire on my RT. During my stay while enjoying the charming amenities, I noticed a bank of 6 Tesla Superchargers. Wawa, located at the NE corner of Lake Superior, is about as remote as it gets in Canada, population 2700, and I believe three gas pumps. And 6 Tesla chargers. I can't imagine more than a handful of full electrics a day going through there, but there they were. FYI "Electric vehicles not made by Tesla can charge at Tesla charging stations but a Tesla adapter is needed. Tesla supercharger stations however cannot be used by non-Tesla vehicles. However, Tesla has announced that they are working on developing a supercharger station that will work for non-Tesla vehicles". P.S. don't be in need of a motorcycle tire in Wawa, Ontario.

I’m pretty sure Tesla charging stations are installed as a “module”. The main infrastructure is rather involved and the largest part of installing a charge station. After going through all that construction, it doesn’t make sense to not install the full complement of chargers.
OM

Sounds like my experience with "some" Mass folks that we run into up here in Maine. "Its good for thee, but not for me", a former SoS who married a ketchup queen comes to mind.

Who will be the first to fly across the pond in an electric Boeing 757? Talk about pollution and air quality, what are they gonna do about the fuel burners in the sky to save the planet?

One program in the "Inflation Reduction Act" authorized the DOE to put out a RFP to promote six regional Hydrogen Hubs across the US. The focus of the proposals will be to show through different business models to generate, transport, store and distribute hydrogen for use in industry, construction, and transportation. The proposals which meet the goals set by the DOE will be funded and will have to use green energy to generate hydrogen from water or convert natural gas to hydrogen, one of the goals is to have hydrogen generation down to $1.5 to $2.0 per kilo by 2035. Hydrogen widely adopted will ease range anxiety concerns for consumer vehicles as availability becomes more wide, it is also better option for heavy transportation and construction vehicles than battery's. Battery's also come with a myriad of problems not yet addressed and way too much hype about the next great break through solving all the problems.

Toyota's Mirai sedan is a second generation vehicle and is being more widely distributed in California as they have a small hydrogen infrastructure available, although like EV's when first introduced, the distribution system will need to be greatly enhanced to promote greater utilization. Toyota and BMW just recently announced a JV to develop fuel cell vehicles.

Jets will most likely be powered on some blended bio fuel, of which there are several different technologies in the works. Shipping will most likely be either ammonia/hydrogen engines or bio fuel.

Lots happening in the energy marketplace right now.

I just finished a book called "A Question of Power" by Robert Bryce. Pretty much blows the "renewable energy" mindset out of the water. The book discusses electrical power on a national and global scale. Who has it, and who doesn't. It's a good book, well researched. I would urge everyone here to read it.

I just finished a book called "A Question of Power" by Robert Bryce. Pretty much blows the "renewable energy" mindset out of the water. The book discusses electrical power on a national and global scale. Who has it, and who doesn't. It's a good book, well researched. I would urge everyone here to read it.

George Friedman of Strafor wrote a great book in 2009 The Next 100 Years, and electric power (generation, storage, distribution and access) are central to America's (really the world's) continued success.

Ordered that book, thanks.

Ian

Saudi Aramco recently indicated there is limited amount of spare oil. From reading what was said, it seems like they talking about spare production.

Saudi Aramco CEO Amin Nasser said at a recent conference in London was quoted on several sites as saying, "Today there is spare capacity that is extremely low. If China opens up, [the] economy starts improving or the aviation industry starts asking for more jet fuel, you will erode this spare capacity.”

This indicates that gas prices will most likely spike higher when the world economy rebounds/recovers. The higher gas prices will most likely continue to drive a shift away from ICE and to electric.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/the-world-should-be-worried-saudi-aramco-the-world-s-largest-oil-producer-issued-a-dire-warning-over-extremely-low-capacity-here-are-3-big-oil-stocks-for-protection/ar-AA14bNO1

On a side note, I wonder what will happen to the car culture here if and when gas prices become extremely high. If gas becomes unaffordable to the average person, does the value of classic/collector vehicles plumet? I don't see this happening in the near future, but it could happen in the mid-to-long term. Mid-term being about 20 years here--I know it could be less, but that's not how I'm using it here.

Saudi Aramco recently indicated there is limited amount of spare oil. From reading what was said, it seems like they talking about spare production.

Saudi Aramco CEO Amin Nasser said at a recent conference in London was quoted on several sites as saying, "Today there is spare capacity that is extremely low. If China opens up, [the] economy starts improving or the aviation industry starts asking for more jet fuel, you will erode this spare capacity.”

This indicates that gas prices will most likely spike higher when the world economy rebounds/recovers. The higher gas prices will most likely continue to drive a shift away from ICE and to electric.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/the-world-should-be-worried-saudi-aramco-the-world-s-largest-oil-producer-issued-a-dire-warning-over-extremely-low-capacity-here-are-3-big-oil-stocks-for-protection/ar-AA14bNO1

On a side note, I wonder what will happen to the car culture here if and when gas prices become extremely high. If gas becomes unaffordable to the average person, does the value of classic/collector vehicles plumet? I don't see this happening in the near future, but it could happen in the mid-to-long term. Mid-term being about 20 years here--I know it could be less, but that's not how I'm using it here.

When prices spiked I started using the Focus, 42-44 mpg, about the same as the two motors. The truck can sit until prices return to reasonable levels.

I guess Exxon's $55.7 Billion profit last year just wasn't enough.

Back