Thread: MAC Performance Deep Oil Pan

Question MAC Performance Deep Oil Pan

I have a 1980 BMW R100T motorcycle that came with a MAC Performance deep oil pan. It seems to work fine, with no oil leaks.

It appears MAC Performance has gone out of business. I can't find their website online, and their phone number doesn't work.

So, maybe someone can help me with a few questions:

* Do you use the original BMW oil dipstick with this oil pan?
    * If so, do I need to change the oil level mark on the dipstick?
    * With the additional capacity of this oil pan, how much oil should I be putting in my engine when I change the oil and filter?
    * Does anyone have the original installation instructions.? Manual?

Any information/assistance is greatly appricated.
    Thank-you!

Never used a Mac deep oil pan. I have used a Breil oil cooler spacer which also adds approximately 1 quart to the capacity. The added spacer effectively makes the the stock oil pan a deep oil pan. I use the original dip stick and use the same mark on the stick to check the oil. Worked for me for over 30 years.

Thanks Barry for the useful information!

Deep pan

I have a deep pan on my R100RS, I use the stock dip stick, the top of the mark is still the top of the mark no matter what the depth of the pan, if you get what I mean. My pan takes an extra quart of oil. St.

Anton has a write up on various versions of the oil pan...Mac is on the list:

http://largiader.com/tech/oilpan/

As Steven said, the original dipstick can still be used. You have a choice to make based upon the purpose of the deeper pan. Is more oil the desire to have a bit more cooling as it might spend a little more time in the sump before being suck back into the engine? If so, fill to the top of the original dipstick. I believe it is one liter between the two marks on the dipstick, so put in the usual 2 liters and see where the oil is on the dipstick and go from there. Or would the bike benefit from having more air volume above the oil to result in less foaming/misting and oil loss? If so, put in the stock 2 liters and call it a day...the bike runs fine on 2 liters. But if you want best of both worlds, split the difference between the two approaches and add a little more oil but not enough to get to the top of the dipstick.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Anton has a write up on various versions of the oil pan...Mac is on the list:

http://largiader.com/tech/oilpan/

As Steven said, the original dipstick can still be used. You have a choice to make based upon the purpose of the deeper pan. Is more oil the desire to have a bit more cooling as it might spend a little more time in the sump before being suck back into the engine? If so, fill to the top of the original dipstick. I believe it is one liter between the two marks on the dipstick, so put in the usual 2 liters and see where the oil is on the dipstick and go from there. Or would the bike benefit from having more air volume above the oil to result in less foaming/misting and oil loss? If so, put in the stock 2 liters and call it a day...the bike runs fine on 2 liters. But if you want best of both worlds, split the difference between the two approaches and add a little more oil but not enough to get to the top of the dipstick.
    If you have a deeper oil pan; and if you choose the latter - two liters - make sure your oil pickup is extended to the lower oil level.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    If you have a deeper oil pan; and if you choose the latter - two liters - make sure your oil pickup is extended to the lower oil level.
    Good catch...very important!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!