• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery Access and Needed Starter Resource

bogdan

The subject is a 2004 R1150R. Have any of you creative fellows found a way to access the battery without removing the tank? Maybe prop it just enough? For now, all I need is to disconnect the ground.

There was no sound from the starter during the first attempt - even though it turned over strongly on the second. Best to look into this before I get stuck somewhere. I was thinking there might be a faulty connection. Don't want to fry something while poking around.

Also...I haven't been able to find a resource for diagnosis of starter problems. Maybe someone has a link handy.

I didn't check them fully but there are a couple of threads about battery access in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen.

I have a R1100RT and have not needed to remove the tank. Can't recall if I've lifted the tank a bit but I think I simply slid the old one out and reversed the process with the new battery.

I am assuming our bikes' tanks and batteries are setup similarly since both are Oilheads.

To check the connection at the battery you need to get there. Lifting the tank is about the minimum.

But, to jump start or otherwise access high current just go to the connection of the battery cable at the starter. That is a direct connection to the positive battery post.

Back